Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 AM

219 posts, read 497,494 times

Advertisements

I've posted questions in the year past and made my move 3 weeks ago. I thought it might be time to follow up.

Due to some clerical error, DOE didn't update my file with my new address or availability date. I had mailed a letter with my local number and address plus available to work ASAP. They only updated my phone number but I caught this and it has supposedly been fixed. My recruiter had suggested I sub in the mean time but didn't volunteer that she knew nothing about that process. She did offer contact info for the TSEAS office when I got nothing but voice mail at Hilo.

So let's talk about TSEAS and subbing. I got a school to sponsor me within 24 hours of arrival. I was fingerprinted the next day. I have yet to hear anything from TSEAS concerning sub work. I have no idea if my background check came back or anything. Last week I started looking for work with a private entity. I applied 2 places, One called me back the same day; I interviewed and was hired the next and started work immediately. This new position is related to my field and I still get to work in the schools. I'm only getting $30 less per day than I would have subbing, however I get that every day and I'm not waiting on the whims of DOE. This position also offers benefits after a month on the job. I will have steady work through July by then I should have a contract to teach full time when school starts back up.

So that about sums up how it is going. I'm not up to my eyeballs in debt or working 3 part-time jobs to scrape by. I feel like I'm doing pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:03 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,915,541 times
Good for you! Thanks for the update!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM

63 posts, read 136,741 times
Awesome!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,708 times
could we chat about your life so far in Hilo? Sounds odd I know but my husband got a good job offer over there with Blue Hawaiin making 27 per hour is that good for over there? How do you like the area, do you get bored? Do you miss the mainland or is it truely amazing?? If you could give me some pointers as to what your life in like and the differences on living in Hilo we are currently living in New Mexico which I so hate!! [email]Jenncoulter74@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,054,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncoulter74 View Post
could we chat about your life so far in Hilo? Sounds odd I know but my husband got a good job offer over there with Blue Hawaiin making 27 per hour is that good for over there? How do you like the area, do you get bored? Do you miss the mainland or is it truely amazing?? If you could give me some pointers as to what your life in like and the differences on living in Hilo we are currently living in New Mexico which I so hate!! *********@yahoo.com
Jenn, I recommend you come back and edit your post to delete your e-mail address, or have a mod remove it for you. It's not safe to post your e-mail publicly.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,679,652 times
Jenn, do a forum search for ”Hilo“ and you'll find lots of discussions from people who already live here. If you know nothing about Hilo you really need to do tons of reading. Do you have kids, or is it just you and your husband?

Since you are new to this forum, you may not know about sending private messages. It's real easy to do and that way you don't have to put your email address on the forum. Just go to ”my settings“, then look under ”Your Control Panel“ to where it says Direct Messages.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncoulter74 View Post
could we chat about your life so far in Hilo? Sounds odd I know but my husband got a good job offer over there with Blue Hawaiin making 27 per hour is that good for over there? How do you like the area, do you get bored? Do you miss the mainland or is it truely amazing?? If you could give me some pointers as to what your life in like and the differences on living in Hilo we are currently living in New Mexico which I so hate!!

If you look at my location you would see I am no where near Hilo. Kona is on totally opposite side of the island. Blue Hawaiian has a location a little north of here at Waikoloa, I've been there. Sorry I can't help you with Hilo info but $27 an hour sounds good if he gets reliable hours per day. I mean 20 hours a week at that rate wouldn't cut it for a family, but full-time might work depending on other expenses/debts.

I came to the Big Island from Mississippi, I don't miss things from there. I do miss loved ones but I may have visitors as early as May. I don't miss AC which I wasn't sure about. I thought I would miss having a washer/dryer of my own but going to the laundromat is nice, makes me slow down and I've used the time to start reading again. I don't mind sharing more about the transition to the Big Island but it may not help you since Hilo is very different from Kona.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Had first teaching interview today. Over 1.5 hours long, they asked for a writing sample which was unexpected but I knocked it out. Interview was with a charter so DOE season hasn't opened yet. Just updating my thread as things turn out. It may be funny if I end up with a charter after all my hoop jumping with DOE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: