Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,335 times

Advertisements

My job pays 7,800 a month. Will this be enough to live comfortably without having to worry about a tight budget.

P.S. I have no other debt and I don't plan on buying a house there because I don't think I could afford it. Correct me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 02:32 AM

376 posts, read 491,887 times
Please tell me what kind of job you got and where? I am looking myself and have a slight obsession with asking others who are successful at finding work what they end up doing. Thanks for your time. (I would think this amount would work depending on which area you lived. I think you should add that info as well, which island, and which area you were looking at living so others can help with the answer to your question.)

Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 AM

312 posts, read 1,641,178 times
IMO - that's enough for a single person with no debt to live quite comfortable.

Do you know where you want to rent and what you want to rent (condo, house, townhouse)? We could give some insight on what rentals are going for.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,335 times
I will be living in Oahu. The job is an contract engineer for the government. I am moving from Alaska and I was concerned to know if I negotiated a sufficient salary to make it worth my while to live in Hawaii. Looking at all the data it seems you need to make about $105,000 min for a single person to live in Hawaii and cover all costs including savings. For a family of 4 it is more in the neighborhood of $145,000. I have never lived in Hawaii so please give some numbers on minimum salary requirements for a single or family to live middle class in Hawaii without having to use credit cards to supplement income.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 PM

27 posts, read 59,360 times
good god...i make 55K a year in New York City as a Travel Agent ...So i guess i'll never be able to live i Oahu...not even at my current salary!!!!!!!

Am i wrong?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 AM

59 posts, read 312,356 times
Alfie,

I actually know an individual on Oahu that is a realtor / therapist / and part-time bartender.

Your cost of living in NYC is very comparable to Oahu.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 AM

115 posts, read 472,081 times
Oh I think you will be just fine, of course you will have to live on mac and cheese to get by

That was kidding, you will make more than enough to enjoy your stay unless you live the high life.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM

312 posts, read 1,641,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRenown View Post
Looking at all the data it seems you need to make about $105,000 min for a single person to live in Hawaii and cover all costs including savings. For a family of 4 it is more in the neighborhood of $145,000. ...to live middle class in Hawaii without having to use credit cards to supplement income.
I think everyone will have different opinions on numbers, numbers I'd throw out are:

$60k / yr for a single person
(the key is making that much with one full-time job, I know many people that make that much, but they work 2-3 jobs).

$125k / yr for family of four

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
Alfie,

I actually know an individual on Oahu that is a realtor / therapist / and part-time bartender.

Your cost of living in NYC is very comparable to Oahu.
Dear Genxor

The cost of living of NYC might be comparable to that of Oahu
I can make though mid 50's in NYC
It doesn't seem I can make or even close in Oahu, working as a tarvel agent or travel emeting planner....

:-(

Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHell View Post
I think everyone will have different opinions on numbers, numbers I'd throw out are:

$60k / yr for a single person
(the key is making that much with one full-time job, I know many people that make that much, but they work 2-3 jobs).

$125k / yr for family of four
Ms Hell,

Most airline, hotel, travel agts jobs don't even pay 40K a year in the travel industry!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: