Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times

Advertisements

If moving here, and you want the ultimate in old time Hawaiian tacky, period stuff, you not only require a Hula Girl lamp, but one that actually does the Hula, light goes on and the Wahine moves back and forth!!! Quite the rage in the early fifties, and the originals aren't cheap. I'm saving up for one....kind of....You need one of those Kani!

Aloha and best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
Thanks for all the tips (especially the hula lamp - how cool!). I think we actually want to drive across country - kind of like seeing it all one more time before heading away for a long time. And it sounds like the cost to ship a car across country is as much, if not more, than across the ocean from CA to HI.

We do want to bring our cats, but that will be difficult to time. I have been told that none of the airlines that fly into HI will permit cats in the cabin, and as a result they won't take them during the hottest time of the year (the hold can get too hot). I'm still looking into it. The quarantine thing (i.e., avoiding it by microchipping/rabies testing) isn't too bad, if you pay close attention to the time limits and allow plenty of time for testing and so on.

We are paring down our belongings (had a killer yard sale last week, planning another bigger one for the spring) as much as we can. We are lucky because a lot of our stuff folds (e.g., folding chairs for dining table, folding bookcases throughout the house), or just isn't necessary to take. On the other hand, some of the older larger power tools we probably can't afford to replace (band saw, table saw, drill press), ditto for aged wood and rare vintage guitar parts. Paring down the library will be tough, but I'm ready to do it. I figure I'll start posting things on "paperback swap" soon, send out as much as I can (racking up credits), then order books with all my credits after I get to HI. (If you don't know about PBS and you are interested, email me.)

Finding a home for our 8' boa constrictor might be difficult, but taking her just ain't an option! We'll do our part to keep Hawai'i snakeless...

Old 10-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Nothing to do with moving, but there was this really popular strip club, frequented by mostly military guys, down in Honolulu on Hotel Street in the 60s and 70s called the Club Hubbahubba. They had a new stripper fresh from the mainland, and much to the suprise of the management, on her debut night she walks onto the stage with a boa constrictor!!!!!! Needless to say, her act, and the snakes, was very short lived!!
Best of luck on your move.

Aloha

Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
Its probably a good idea not to ship your car from the east coast. Two of my friends just moved here (Kauai) from Jersey and it took more than 2 months for her car to arrive. The shipping company said 4-6 weeks but it was almost 9 weeks!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:35 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
Yeah, I just can't see paying someone over $1,000 to drive my car ( no one else drives MY car!!!!), or carry it on a truck, so I can *also* pay over $1,000 for the family to fly to CA, when the car can get us all there for a bit less money, and with a chance for my son to peep at the Mississippi River and the Grand Canyon on the way (or do we take the northerly route? hmmmm...) I know it's a few miles on the odometer, but not enough to stress about, IMO.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 PM

392 posts, read 1,092,862 times
Yeah Sweetbeet, driving cross-country sounds awesome if you have the time - you get to see so much and then you also get to use the money you would've spent on trucking it (or whatever) for something else. I wish we had been able to spend the time driving to California and shipping the car from there when we moved - I was on a really close timeframe for a new job and we had to find an apartment and everything else before I started work. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: