Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 PM

56 posts, read 110,084 times

Advertisements

Rugbydave- As a resident in Alaska wondering what made you choose the BI over AK as a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelytaylored View Post
Rugbydave- As a resident in Alaska wondering what made you choose the BI over AK as a home?
Maybe the climate, do you think? Half of Alaska seems to take extended visits to Hawaii in the winter. It could be the lack of bears. No bear bars on the doors and windows here.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Grew to love the Amish while temporarily assigned to Dover AFB. I think even some of those people (younger ones I think) feel stuck.
As far as Hawaii, it seems like it could be a comparatively simple life. Oahu is a bit frantic paced at times...

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Maybe the climate, do you think? Half of Alaska seems to take extended visits to Hawaii in the winter. It could be the lack of bears. No bear bars on the doors and windows here.
yes yes indeed.. the climate <sigh>. But apparently it doesnt bother many residents here ... otherwise theyd move! lol Yes probably a majority of the people I know regularly go to Hawaii on vacation. Many reasons, because its closer than alot of other warm places to visit, because its amazing!, and because Alaska Airlines has non stop flights available for about $220

Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Never had a problem with island fever when i lived in oahu. I loved it. In fact i miss it so much, i think the only issue i would have is it being way to crowded. Unfort my tolerance for ppls loloness is getting harder as i get older.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM

189 posts, read 282,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelytaylored View Post
Well, I still have some land and a small cabin in Fairbanks, as it's partly where I grew up, so I didn't really fully leave AK there

Long post to a short question, but to answer you directly:

I work in specialized medicine, and grew up between BI/AK - as I am transitioning from my residency to having my full license, I always wanted to move back to the BI but bring something that is greatly needed there (in this case, specialized medicine). I love that island and had many wonderful years kicking around the forests, volcanoes and beaches there, and always wanted to bring something tangible back to the community to help it grow and prosper. Because many people have to be airlifted or flown to Honolulu just for some fairly basic procedures, I feel that I can give back in this way.

Hence, I chose to come back to BI. Also, the salaries here are great and I feel like I can really help make a difference to a lot of the community here. I speak Tagalog and 'Olelo Hawai'i, and am starting to develop the first assessments/diagnostic procedures in these languages (we have some for Tagalog, none for 'Olelo Hawai'i). I'm planning on opening my practice in Waimea, but will see patients down in Ka'u/Puna once a month, because there is a huge need down there. I am interested in doing about 30% of my practice pro-bono. I am trained in rural health and am certified to do home health visits as well. I can be mobile!

Now that QMC is connecting with NHCH, things will be even better for the island. Granted, that is also in Waimea, but to be honest, it's the easiest place to reach the most population (again, except Ka'u/Puna). I will open a satellite practice in Hilo as well. Perhaps KK as well, but Waimea office may suffice for that side.

Basically: there is a huge need here for what I do for my career and I am even bringing some HD quality endoscopes to the island. I could not wait for the hospitals or government to purchase the equipment (they will eventually), so I broke down and purchased my own which I can bring around with me seeing patients. My goal is to bring some of my other friends in to help give the BI even more solid medical services. It is a huge reason why many people are 'afraid' to move here (people who can help our economy), so it is my hope to help mitigate that factor, as little as I may be able to. Alaska is somewhat my home, but I never felt raised there. The climate is no issue for me, and I lived in Fairbanks, which gets quite cold. It's just.. so far from the ocean and the beach and where my heart always has been, you know? Money is great in Hawai'i and there is a huge need for what I do in most places, but especially in Hawai'i.

Ultimately, I am just happy to finally give back to the land that helped raise me; this is why I chose the BI to settle on.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,976 times
Default Thanks for insight

RugbyDave, I appreciate your commitment to truly meaningful work! Good luck in your new endeavors. It sounds like you've got it together!

I'm reading through these posts since my husband is convinced that Hawaii is the place for him. And he's never been there! He is a very laid back, easy to please, calm person, and wants to be around those like him. I'm always up for an adventure because I'm the wired one always looking for something new and different. However, my grown daughter (previous marriage) is here in KY and I highly doubt she would ever relocate. Our son, 10, is adaptable to anything, and what kid wouldn't like the idea of living near the beach?

I appreciate your posts, and everyone else's as well. Each of us has a unique perspective and story on where we live or want to be. It's really quite funny that my husband is willing to move away from Kentucky. Most bred and born Kentuckians can't be hauled out of here with two plow horses! We'll see...

Old 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Thank you RugbyDave I appreciate the insight. I have been in AK now for 9 years and while there are many things we love here, I have been ready for change for a while now. I felt such a sense of home and belonging while in Kauai, I had no idea going there would end in a serious contemplation of moving. It is great to see you giving back to the community and making life on the BI better. I plan on doing our part in community living there on Kauai as well. Growing up in a rural town of 3,500, community living comes easily for us, it was living in a big city and never meeting your neighbors that was strange!! Of course Anchorage isnt Honolulu, but for us it may as well be. Everyone keeps talking about the "rural" factor and lack of amenities, I am just thinking "They have coffee shops? and a Costco? Amazon still ships?... Ok I am good .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii