Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times

Advertisements

Can't afford to live in Hawaii anymore? Feeling stuck? This just might be your ticket out!
"Allegiant Airlines will offer one way flights out of Honolulu for $99 dollars..."

Allegiant to offer $99 Los Angeles fares - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Can't afford to live in Hawaii anymore? Feeling stuck? This just might be your ticket out!
"Allegiant Airlines will offer one way flights out of Honolulu for $99 dollars..."

Allegiant to offer $99 Los Angeles fares - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Of course, that same fare is good for the opposite direction as well...
Allegiant Air Announces $99 Flights Between Los Angeles And Honolulu « CBS Los Angeles

Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
It will be interesting to see how they do - they've practically pulled out of Hawaii starting in mid-August but I guess they want to give it another shot.

$99 each way -

Plus:

Want to book your ticket online - $20

Want to call to book your ticket - $50

Want water on the flight - $2

Want to book with a credit card - $8

Need to put a suitcase in the overhead bin - $25

Allegiant Air Fees: Low-Cost Airline With Plenty Of Extras

"Flying older planes has drawbacks, though. They burn more fuel, something Allegiant combats by squeezing 166 passengers onto planes – 26 more than American Airlines has on comparable jets. They also have more mechanical problems, resulting in more delays.

One of every four Allegiant flights last year was at least 15 minutes late, the worst record in the industry, according to flight tracker FlightAware.

The bigger problem is if a mechanical issue forces a plane to be grounded. Given its limited schedule and packed planes, there usually isn't another flight to book passengers on. Instead, they are left waiting six hours while a new plane is flown in.

Sometimes flights are postponed to the next day. In one extreme situation in March, more than 1,700 passengers flying to and from Hawaii saw multi-day delays, including one flight that was 52 hours late."

Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM

293 posts, read 249,970 times
Winky would've been all over that deal a couple years ago ... lol.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM

242 posts, read 391,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Mike3 View Post
Winky would've been all over that deal a couple years ago ... lol.
Not likely. At the time he was griping about being unable to afford airfare back to the Mainland, he decided to buy an expensive camera instead.

In the grand scheme of things, flying AAY is not recommended. You get what you pay for and $99 won't get you much.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 12,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
Not likely. At the time he was griping about being unable to afford airfare back to the Mainland, he decided to buy an expensive camera instead.

In the grand scheme of things, flying AAY is not recommended. You get what you pay for and $99 won't get you much.
so i take it the flights are crappy?
oh well at that price i am going to book flights for the kids too.
it might not be first class but hopefully we make it there and back in one piece.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisinger View Post
so i take it the flights are crappy?
Let's see... legroom has been reduced in order to shoehorn 26 more seats into the planes. Thinner cushions are needed to do that, so they are less comfortable to sit in for long flights. Oh, and the seats don't recline. Can you say "Mooooooo"?

Quote:
oh well at that price i am going to book flights for the kids too.
it might not be first class but hopefully we make it there and back in one piece.
Safety is not the issue. Reliability is. On one notorious, and for the would-be-passengers, quite memorable day a few months ago Alegiant had to cancel 4 flights on the same day due to maintenance issues. Needless to say, not all of those people got to reschedule on the next day's flight out. Some of them wound up camped out at the airport for days. How are your kids about sleeping on airport benches?

For a cheapo 2 hour gamblers junket to Las Vegas the Alegiant model apparently works for a lot of people. I mean, gambling addicts will put up with a LOT. And they are crazy as loons besides. But for a 5 or 6 hour trans-oceanic flight? Do what you will, but I prefer much better odds.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
If a passenger has flexible time, can tolerate close seating and minimal accommodations, doesn't mind the getting stuck in an airport should that happen, and is willing to hope the airline is still in business and maintaining the route (ATA Airlines still brings back bad memories, as does Aloha Air mileage that evaporated, etc), well it might work out good.

The price is a winner. Oh, but don't forget, from their website:
Quote:
In order to keep fares as low as possible, Allegiant offers many a-la-carte services you can add to your travel itinerary for a fee. Fees are per person, per segment, or both. A segment is one take-off and one landing
Such as:
Quote:
If booked in advance, the baggage fee for the first and second checked bag is $14.99 to $35.00 per bag, per segment depending on your departure and arrival airports. Bag fees paid at the airport for the first and second checked bag are $50 or $75 per bag, per segment depending on your departure and arrival airports. Please see baggage fee table below.
Overweight bag fee starts at 41 pounds: $50+ [Hawaiian Airlines allows 50 lbs before a charge]

Carry on bag:
Quote:
The fee for a carry-on bag ranges from $10 to $35 if booked in advance, and will be $35 to $75 if purchased at the airport.
[Hawaiian Airlines allows a carry on for free]

Want to sit together? Seat selection up to $75.

In other words, it might be a great deal, but careful planning would be needed to avoid unexpected charges .

Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
The story in the Star Advertiser supplied more details...

The $99 fare is an introductory promotion, only for the LA-Honolulu route, which will fly twice a week beginning October 30. Tickets must be purchased by this Sunday, July 14, for travel by mid February.

In other news, having announced they would suspend flights to Hawai'i from 7 of their 9 current departure airports on August 14, and lay off 18 Hawai'i based flight attendants, Alegiant also announced that " two of the affected routes, Boise, Idaho, and Spokane, Wash., will be reinstated for the holiday season during the second week of December."

"Routes from two mainland cities remain unaffected by the suspension of service. Allegiant continues to fly nonstop between Las Vegas and Honolulu, and from Bellingham, Wash., to both Maui and Honolulu."

Allegiant Air to offer L.A.-Honolulu flights - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

And...
Suspended Alegiant Honolulu routes with no scheduled resumption date are from Eugene, Ore.; Phoenix; and the California cities of Fresno, Stockton and Santa Maria.

And, in other get-out-of-town news, as of October 30 Alaska Air will raise its baggage fees to $25 each for first two checked bags, and $75 for additional. Also their fee for changing a ticket will rise to $125.

Alaska Airlines increases fee to check baggage - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Upsets my stomach to even think about it. Seems like any airplane I ever worked on was ancient. I'm sure the inventory of today's fliers includes older planes. I rode a freedom bird - and ya know I think I saw an Evergreen in the past month... That thing was mortgaged to the hilt. The bank owned the engines. And it rattled and shook and it was PACKED (747). Did a lot of praying on that flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii