Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 PM

136 posts, read 331,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They'll think the culture is pretty much the same when they deal with rush hour traffic, Walmart, Target, Safeway, McDonalds, Starbucks on every corner, Pizza Hut, the same cars, same language, same ole same ole. Anyone who's been to Hawaii in the 80's and 90's see a stark difference to the Hawaii today. I'm in Chicago right now for work, besides the lack of Asians, good steak here, gas 60 cents/gallon cheaper, and a little chillier, not much else is different than Honolulu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A refresher from a previous post

People sending their kids to the mainland for college and they stayed - then came back eventually with mainland customs.
I'm curious, what do you consider to be mainland customs? In a previous post you said Hawaii is the same as the rest of the country except a few things like food, more Asians, and weather.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,784,358 times
@robert nakoa

Aloha bruddah, cant argue with what you said. The point im having problems with is im still waiting for this diversity and equality my american mainland bruddahs are talking about. The same diversity that makes us have to regain our languages from the dead in the first place! I believe if we believed in diversity? None of us would be wondering if three generations from now if there will be real Hawai'ian or Native blood left? Or that we would have to relearn our languages. Or that Natives and Hawai'ians and african americans are the poorest races in the country.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
I'm curious, what do you consider to be mainland customs? In a previous post you said Hawaii is the same as the rest of the country except a few things like food, more Asians, and weather.
Culture of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,784,358 times
Lol, i know one thing no one will prob disagree with me over and that is The way Oregon handled Washigton today. Sorry haters, but i don't think anyone is going to beat Oregon this year.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:34 PM

So you think that in previous decades, kids left for mainland colleges and brought back mainland customs which is partly why Hawaii has no unique culture like it did a couple decades ago. Can you explain specifically what you mean?

Growing up in Hawaii during the 90s- Asians were the largest racial group, almost everyone spoke English, Hawaii was relatively liberal, had a large non-religious population, American-style buildings, Hawaii schools taught much of the same as the rest of the country, celebrated many American holidays, people moved to and left Hawaii, there were the American clothes, sports, food, families, housing, traffic, military bases, etc.. All still true today. According to the wikipedia article, seems like the culture of Hawaii was pretty much the same as it is today.

So today Hawaii is the same as the rest of the country... How was Hawaii still so unique as recently as the 90s?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM

Jonny08, if you weren't around Hawaii 20+ years ago compared to now there are plenty of YouTube videos on this forum, old Hawaii Five-O episodes from the late 60s to 1980, and old Elvis movies to research rather than me explaining it to you on a Saturday.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Okay, so earlier you said Hawaii in the 90s was so different, but now you change that to 20 or more years ago. And you post a wikipedia article to explain your point, then realize it doesn't support your point well so you say to watch Hawaii-five O and youtube instead. I give up

Old 10-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Jonny08, I have no idea what you are talking about. What doesn't support my point. I said A) look at the Wikipedia for US culture and B) go do some research on what Hawaii used to be like because today it is largely similar to the Mainland but more diverse in some areas. If you haven't been to Hawaii over 20 years ago explaining it won't help.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM

I explained how Hawaii in the 90s was fit most of the Wikipedia article pretty well. Which contradicts your statement that Hawaii in the 90s (which apparently to you means 1993 and before) didn't fit with American culture while today Hawaii is mostly the same.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Culture of Asia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hawaii is influenced by Asian culture more than the vast majority of the country. My point is that Hawaii is affected by American AND Asian culture, while most of the country is not affected much by Asian culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii