Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

(how bout dem Bears)
If they couldn't beat the Lions, they weren't going to beat NO. Although, here is some unique culture for you. I watched Monday Night Football. At "Night".

Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If they couldn't beat the Lions, they weren't going to beat NO. Although, here is some unique culture for you. I watched Monday Night Football. At "Night".
SURE!!!!!! GO AHEAD KUKAE PO'O!!!!! RUB IT IN!!!!!! Not to stray TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far off-topic, but, in the early eighties, when the 49'ers were goin nutz, (49'ers Vipe, heard of them???????), my Dad would sometimes call from the Bay Area, DURING the game. He calls me one time, when the 49'ers were getting their okoles kicked, and says, (before I could say anything),,, "That HAS to be the come back of the decade!!!"

maaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I used to have a hard time justifying having a beer or six on Sundays BEFORE noon.... Learned to live with it though....

Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
Quote:
I agree with that. But it is such a huge minority to the rest of the island. The majority of the island is quite "mainland" like whether people want to acknowledge that or be in denial.
Just wanted to say that I like your posts. To me you tell it like it is, you don't romanticize anything. You're actually my favorite poster on the Hawaii forum. With all the transplants and national chain stores moving to HI, internet making the world in general a smaller place, and just globalization in general, HI is becoming less and less unique from the rest of the U.S. I'd also agree that a lot of HI is like the mainland. Driving down any street in Honolulu looks similar to driving down a street in a lot of major cities in the U.S. I mean yes, there's the mountains on one side and the ocean on the other but that's not really unique either. Even Kailua where you're at can be compared to any Smalltown USA. Sure there are unique things in the islands (ex. the particular type of pidgin English) but as time goes on, it's getting harder and harder to find things unique to HI. I'm inclined to say that those who think HI is so unique that it's like a foreign country are just seeing what they want to see. A non-Anglo foreign country is so different than HI it seems rather absurd to make that comparison. At the end of the day, I think HI is similar to the rest of the U.S. with some differences that certain people chose to accentuate to make a point.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
@WannabeCPA

Mahalo for your opinion, I have been accused of romanticizing things. But for us who have experienced speaking and learning Olelo Hawai'i or listen and learned the folklore or talkstories or learned to make leis and attend cultural celibrations, this is real and not a fantasy. My experience is often, i hear the romanticizing line from people who haven't really embraced the culture yet or fell in love with Hawai'i. Mostly mainlanders who come to Hawai'i and stay Mainland.

Hmmm i find it always so interesting, and no offence intended. How ppl from the mainland cling to mainland ideals etc like the breath of life, but if it was so good at the cities we are from? Then why leave in the first place. I see ppl from california moving to portland and trying to make it california in laws, life etc. Dang if it worked in Cali you wouldn't be here. Samething with Hawai'i, why would you want to make it look like any major city? Guess that eagles song "last resort" hits home. Becareful what you call paradise.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 AM

Cont from above

It kind of reminds me of locus mentality. Swarm to one spot while its good, party until it goes down the tube, then its off to another area where we just repeat actions. Why not stop examine our thinking and change it because obviously its not working. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different outcomes.

I think its sad and i grieve that you guys weren't able to experience a time in Hawai'i where it was safe to let your children run around unattended, or times when the people living on your block just at a whim decides to have a potluck, everyone invitted. A time were ppl were affectionate, and cared for you. Unique stores and stuff. All replaced to look like mainland usa.

And it really wasnt all that long ago compared to the mainland when the last time it was safe to let your children run around without supervision?

I find it interesting how no one asks why things changed. It wasn't because locals wantted it?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-08-2013 at 12:54 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm inclined to say that those who think HI is so unique that it's like a foreign country are just seeing what they want to see. A non-Anglo foreign country is so different than HI it seems rather absurd to make that comparison. At the end of the day, I think HI is similar to the rest of the U.S. with some differences that certain people chose to accentuate to make a point.
I think it's important to distinguish between what you find in Honolulu, and what you find everywhere else in Hawai'i'. The predominant culture in Honolulu is Big Urban City, with lots of of mainland chain businesses, and a few pockets of ethnic variety. To me it's most like San Francisco, but smaller, and with better weather. But like Chicago? No way, I lived in Chicago twice, and outside of a Starbucks in Chicago being like a Starbucks in Hawai'i, there's very little similarity I can think of between the two.

But get outside Honolulu, or preferably get to one of the neighbor islands, and you will see a lot more variety, and a lot more traditional culture. And it is nothing like anything you will find on the mainland. I've been to places in Mexico that are more like the US mainland than the Big Island is.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think it's important to distinguish between what you find in Honolulu, and what you find everywhere else in Hawai'i'. The predominant culture in Honolulu is Big Urban City, with lots of of mainland chain businesses, and a few pockets of ethnic variety. To me it's most like San Francisco, but smaller, and with better weather. But like Chicago? No way, I lived in Chicago twice, and outside of a Starbucks in Chicago being like a Starbucks in Hawai'i, there's very little similarity I can think of between the two.

But get outside Honolulu, or preferably get to one of the neighbor islands, and you will see a lot more variety, and a lot more traditional culture. And it is nothing like anything you will find on the mainland. I've been to places in Mexico that are more like the US mainland than the Big Island is.
Agree and Mahalo Open. +5

Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 AM

136 posts, read 329,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
With all the transplants and national chain stores moving to HI, internet making the world in general a smaller place, and just globalization in general, HI is becoming less and less unique from the rest of the U.S. I'd also agree that a lot of HI is like the mainland.
Many countries throughout the world have chain stores, internet access, and are affected by globalization, but later you said that non-Anglo foreign countries (which are affected by globalization too, you know?) are completely different from Hawaii

Personally, I don't feel that the most significant thing that makes Hawaii unique has anything to do with the food, time zone differences, fighting roosters, etc.. Being Asian growing up on Oahu, I almost never thought about my race because I just "fit in." When I moved to California, for the first time in my life I experienced how different it felt to be a minority and the disadvantages that came with it. I found that I often had to change the way I acted (ie. be more assertive) in California just to fit in and compete. Have you heard of the Bamboo Ceiling? Asians in the U.S. get discriminated against because behaviors common to Asian culture (being modest, respectful of authority, etc.) are considered signs of weakness and lacking leadership potential by mainstream American society.

Personally, I thought that that made a big difference in how it feels to live in Hawaii versus California. If you don't have the same experiences, then good for you. That doesn't mean my experiences are wrong or invalid.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
Quote:
cockfighting is illegal in all 50 states - drive around the southern US, no need to go all the way to Hawaii to experience it - you see it a lot on Lanai also.
I don't plan on ever driving around through the backwoods of the southern US, so I will just take your word for it. I must have lived sheltered life because in the places I have been, I have never seen anything like that before.

Do Coqui Frogs count as culture? If so, then Hilo has lots and lots and LOTS of culture!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 AM

136 posts, read 329,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Well in Chicago, San Francisco, Honolulu, and the neighbor islands you can eat at McDonalds, shop at Walmart, drive in traffic, and speak English to the general population. So according to whtviper1, they're all the same. I guess there's no convincing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii