Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,795,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll agree to disagree - you see people doing that in Key West - add some snow and freezing temps, and it would be a lot different. Just what I think.
Oh man, the shoe thing has nothing to do with temp. If your going to make a mockery on things some ppl care about, then don't get involved ok? Mahalo

Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 PM

136 posts, read 331,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Other places have moved beyond that. "Hawaiian Time" is no excuse to perpetuate the thinly-veiled hatred.
And yes, I have a killer sense of humor, LOL. Just don't find ethnic slurs funny at all, in any way, shape or form. Neither does most of the rest of the world, these days.
It's not about hatred. It's about recognizing the uniqueness of each race and encouraging everyone to get along. People make fun of all races, including their own.

Check this out

Mr. Sun Cho Lee (Beamer Brothers classic) Bobby Chang Version - YouTube

Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
We had this thing called the internet. Airline deregulation. People sending their kids to the mainland for college and they stayed - then came back eventually with mainland customs. A high military presence from gulf wars - more people leaving Hawaii and more people moving to Hawaii - a disinterest in traditional Hawaiian "culture" (go look at your yourtube videos of all the things that don't exist anymore) - record tourism catering to the mainland - etc, etc, etc....

There was no vote - it happened a long time ago. The change was mostly in the early 2000's and mostly complete.
Look deeper, all these things your saying isnt the reason. Why did people leave Hawai'i????? Why is there a disinterest in Hawai'i culture? Why are all the old local spots being torn down even when there is great protest against it by locals????

Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,284,510 times
Quote:
I'll agree to disagree - you see people doing that in Key West - add some snow and freezing temps, and it would be a lot different. Just what I think.
I spent enough winters in Japan and South Korea to know that freezing temperatures make no difference -- folks still leave their shoes at the door. However, some households provide extra socks and/or "indoor slippers" for visitors.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,033,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I spent enough winters in Japan and South Korea to know that freezing temperatures make no difference -- folks still leave their shoes at the door. However, some households provide extra socks and/or "indoor slippers" for visitors
Except Hawaii isn't Japan or South Korea. A tradition that is more "cute" than anything.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Why are all the old local spots being torn down even when there is great protest against it by locals????
What protests? I've yet to see a protest except those silly GMO protests - if the locals were in such an uproar - they should have bought those failing businesses. Oh wait, they were failing businesses.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,890,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I spent enough winters in Japan and South Korea to know that freezing temperatures make no difference -- folks still leave their shoes at the door. However, some households provide extra socks and/or "indoor slippers" for visitors.
Japan: Shoes off at the door...Good idea! Then, plastic slippers for indoors. None fit my size 13 feet. Then, change from those slippers into a different pair to go across the outdoor walk to the toilet, then switch to yet ANOTHER pair to wear INside the toilet. Reverse all of that to return to the house. What a complicated PITA! I waited a LONG time before visiting the toilet, a second time.
The "bath" was down the block. I really enjoyed that part of the experience. Laughed my ass off, at all the "wrong things I did". Fortunately my hosts were understanding! Can't wait to revisit Japan (Been twice). Love that place!
I stayed at a hotel in Seoul. Didn't witness any of it there.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Except Hawaii isn't Japan or South Korea. A tradition that is more "cute" than anything.
How can we have diversity or even harmony if you cant even respect others customs and cultures? Or even acknowledge there is other cultures or customs, if we only think ours is superior?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 PM

136 posts, read 331,731 times
Quote:
'

For the record, I said this exact quote:

"I'll guess the folks who grow up in the Hawaii school system pick it up. Pidgin is so destructive to kids in the Hawaii school system - the writing skills I see from locals are atrocious and they don't get hired for many jobs due to that lack of basic skill.

Anyone ever wonder why people who grew up in Hawaii hold so few local executive level positions, compared to mainland or international transplants? I'll tell you why. Basic writing skills.

Sorry to make them angry, but the folks who grew up here and post on this forum are often a clear example of a lack of basic writing skills."

Remind you of anyone?
I agree pidgin can be hurtful. I went to a private school in Hawaii and most people there spoke very little pidgin and many of us went to high-ranked (better than UH) colleges. The difference between you and me is that I respect people who speak pidgin. It's part of local culture. I don't think I'm better than someone just because they don't have the best writing skills. There are people who care about more than being great writers and having executive level positions. Besides, many Hawaii residents who speak pidgin can and speak, read, and write proper English very well.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Besides, many Hawaii residents who speak pidgin can and speak, read, and write proper English very well.
Sure, I'll agree with you - but there are many, including people on this thread - who butcher the English language and don't even know how many states exist. Is the Hawaii school system really that bad - or I hope it is improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii