Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...-socially.html

From Dreaming of Hawaii

Well, HBH, even though you started a new thread, you are basically repeating what's been stated in other threads. And one thing we request that "new posters" do is to read the old threads to get answers to their questions. I don't know how many times the same thing needs to be said. Maybe that's why your part #1 of this thread got off topic.

At least with this thread you've dropped the pidgin and added translations. That is very helpful to the new people who, I would imagine, struggle trying to figure out what you are saying.

OpenD, you said that dehumidifying and reducing mold is most important on the Kona side of the BI. Didn't you mean Hilo side?

@Op Sorry bruddah just had to make a point. Didnt mean to hijack your thread. Peace

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 11-02-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:34 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Yes, I do know how to do a Search, and none of those threads address my specific question. To repeat (or maybe I should start a different post?): I'm looking for someone who has experience operating/maintaining their own off-the-grid PV system in Hawaii. Wondering about how much maintenance is required and how the batteries are affected by the salt air and the vog.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruddah View Post
I'm looking to purchase a solar (PV) system. With the crazy HECO rates they have here I think it's the best route to go for my family. I've got more than a dozen companies bookmarked on Yelp and I constantly see new companies popping up on TV. Any input greatly appreciated.
The previous climate of using grid-tied solar panels has suddenly changed dramatically in Hawai'i, as well as in other regions. One person is currently suing his California utility company because they refuse to connect his $65,000 solar PV installation to the grid.

Closer to home dozens, maybe hundreds of people have been caught in the middle by HECO's new policy to require studies and infrastructure fees before they will connect systems to the grid, including this guy who is currently on the hook for a $30,000 installation HECO will not connect:

Some Solar Customers Getting Burned in Limbo - Honolulu Civil Beat

Old 11-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
OpenD, you said that dehumidifying and reducing mold is most important on the Kona side of the BI. Didn't you mean Hilo side?
No, it was not what I said at all. DoH merely misunderstood what I said, then you compounded the misunderstanding by repeating it, rather than going back to what I actually said and meant.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Yes, I do know how to do a Search, and none of those threads address my specific question. To repeat (or maybe I should start a different post?): I'm looking for someone who has experience operating/maintaining their own off-the-grid PV system in Hawaii. Wondering about how much maintenance is required and how the batteries are affected by the salt air and the vog.
Talk to Hotzcatz. Before moving to her current home she lived many years in a house that was off-grid solar PV and batteries, with a generator backup. And she's probably the most common sense and down-to-earth member of this forum.

To illustrate how "salt of the earth" she is, Hotzcatz spontaneously offered me a truckload of dirt "for the gettin'" back when I was talking about putting raised gardens in a couple of years ago, and all she asked in return was a gallon of diesel oil for the use of the front loader.

IOW, you can trust what she has to say.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:31 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
There's little to no maintenance on AGM batteries, which is what most off grid application use. They're pricey though..

Aloha

http://www.freesunpower.com/

Try this site out, if you haven't already

Old 11-02-2013, 05:14 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
There's little to no maintenance on AGM batteries, which is what most off grid application use. They're pricey though..

Aloha

DIY Solar Panel help - tutorials, calculators and design tools for solar power

Try this site out, if you haven't already
Thanks. That's a great site!

Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 PM

170 posts, read 292,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The previous climate of using grid-tied solar panels has suddenly changed dramatically in Hawai'i, as well as in other regions. One person is currently suing his California utility company because they refuse to connect his $65,000 solar PV installation to the grid.

Closer to home dozens, maybe hundreds of people have been caught in the middle by HECO's new policy to require studies and infrastructure fees before they will connect systems to the grid, including this guy who is currently on the hook for a $30,000 installation HECO will not connect:

Some Solar Customers Getting Burned in Limbo - Honolulu Civil Beat
Yea, seen that. So how does that work? Assuming HECO allows you to get solar and you are able to connect to the grid. Does your solar company install the panels and HECO leaves you in limbo to who knows when or does your solar company install the panels and so HECO can connect you in a timely fashion?

Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Yea, seen that. So how does that work? Assuming HECO allows you to get solar and you are able to connect to the grid. Does your solar company install the panels and HECO leaves you in limbo to who knows when or does your solar company install the panels and so HECO can connect you in a timely fashion?
Get yourself 10 250ah 12 volt batteries and tell HECO to f##k off. They saw this coming a loooonnnnggg time ago.

Aloha

Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
As JJ says, if you want to stay off the grid and use batteries, you can pretty much tell them all to f*** off. But if you want a grid-tie, so that you can draw power down from the grid when the sun is not shining, you need: 1) a county building permit, and 2) permission from HECO to connect.

Until very recently permission from HECO was simple, inexpensive, and fairly automatic. But now it has suddenly become very problematic and expensive. On local forums I've read of people encountering $9,000 fees for "studies" and $11,000 fees for "infrastructure upgades." That's a helluva load to add to a typical residential installation of maybe $30K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii