Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:28 AM

24 posts, read 34,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Yeah that is the biggy right there. Thats the only reason I think $100k is too low now with a mortgage and private schools. Established families that have had houses for a while, locals with the ability to stay with their parents for a while, or folks that get help with the down payment can do fine on that much or even less... but as far as a transplant is concerned I would want them to make more IF they wanted a house, private schools for their kids, and the ability to save for emergencies and retirement.

Kind of reminds me of a Taiwanese family that I know. Old folks moved to Hawaii back in the 80's, both were your average working class immigrant types, didn't speak much English either. One started out in construction, the other pretty much waited tables all her life until she was in her early 50's when she had her own restaurant, no vacations no luxury but somehow managed to send both their kids to Punahou, one of them turned out to be a brilliant mathematician, and the other, a very very beautiful doctor Even with two kids, they still managed to acquire a house in Palolo in which they'll retire, and two other condo apartments in town, talk about will power and sheer hard work! And I just love local stories like this.

No doubt they are getting some of the brightest kids on the island. I just mean that the curriculum at Iolani is challenging with hours of homework each night. But yeah, really smart kids can get by without working as hard as others for sure just like really good athletes can be good at sports without as much effort.
The way I see it, if my kid is smart enough, which is something you can tell by 2nd grade, I probably won't invest too much in him/her and just show him how he can get where he wants to be (girlfriend's nephew is sort of on the dumb side, and I don't think private school isn't going to do him much good), and if he ever needs the connections, going through the family is an option too. So there's my philosophy, bright or not, no expensive private schools, but I'll teach them everything I know about the power of hard work and dedication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM

84 posts, read 133,737 times
I should have left when all my classmate left to mainland for jobs. I have engineering degree, I stayed because I got decent job here, I am in late 20s, makes 6 figure so I thought I can manage it here. To my knowledge, this is way above average income in Hawaii.
But Wrong, close to half of my tax is feeding welfare mouth, although I have very frugal lifestyle, becoming homeowner in decent neighborhood is impossible without family help. (which I don't have, won't have)
I really don't want to pay half million dollar for junk shack in ewa or 40 year old 2 bed condo with 600/mo maintenance. Rental is not getting any cheaper either.
So I am really torn here.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskamelot View Post
I should have left when all my classmate left to mainland for jobs. I have engineering degree, I stayed because I got decent job here, I am in late 20s, makes 6 figure so I thought I can manage it here. To my knowledge, this is way above average income in Hawaii.
But Wrong, close to half of my tax is feeding welfare mouth, although I have very frugal lifestyle, becoming homeowner in decent neighborhood is impossible without family help. (which I don't have, won't have)
I really don't want to pay half million dollar for junk shack in ewa or 40 year old 2 bed condo with 600/mo maintenance. Rental is not getting any cheaper either.
If you're making six figures and can't save money for retirement you're doing it wrong.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskamelot View Post
I would work on utilizing proper English and grammar, first, which should then lead to a better paying job.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM

98 posts, read 543,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I would work on utilizing proper English and grammar, first, which should then lead to a better paying job.
Zeus, is there anything worse than the grammar police? You've constructed a poor strawman argument to boot.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
Zeus, is there anything worse than the grammar police? You've constructed a poor strawman argument to boot.
Maybe you have not read many of the person's posts?
Sometimes, people that complain about not making enough money need to be shown one of the possible reasons why, which in this case, is probably right in front of them. Sorry for the truth.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Maybe you have not read many of the person's posts?
Sometimes, people that complain about not making enough money need to be shown one of the possible reasons why, which in this case, is probably right in front of them. Sorry for the truth.
Dude's making six-figures and is an engineer, a very challenging undergraduate degree.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Dude's making six-figures and is an engineer, a very challenging undergraduate degree.
It doesn't matter how much the person is making; they complained about it not being enough.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter how much the person is making; they complained about it not being enough.
Perhaps if he improves his grammar he will bump his figure into the seven-figure range?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
Quote:
Perhaps if he improves his grammar he will bump his figure into the seven-figure range?
Do you honestly believe that the way you present yourself and write doesn't matter when it comes to promotions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii