Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

@augentier

Aloha, my suggestion is to get the books called the Obake Files by Glen Grant. Educate yourself on Hawai'i folklore and Obake stories. Your will be shocked and pleased. In Honolulu there is a market for history and ghost tours, some business were formed to do this. There even is a talkstory festival that happens in Honolulu every year. I agree your not going to see alot of people dressed in goth because of the sun and tropics. But don't let that fool you, Locals, Hawai'ians etc are a superstitious people, because of our diversity of cultures your going to get a wide range of tales. We do love our obake, and it rivals any area in the country.

Heres some examples of Hawai'i obake and folklore here on CDF. Some from Glenn Grants books, some just told by word of mouth.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...out-there.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...lkstories.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
I have a couple of questions about Hawaii, just out of curiosity.

Why is it that the minium wage in Hawaii is still stuck at $7.25 an hour when it's clearly the most costly place to live in the US? If Hawaii is really as "liberal" as they claim, then the min wage should be at LEAST $15 an hour, indexed annually to the LOCAL cost of living. All I hear about Hawaii is how low salaries are, and how expensive rents are - so why don't the good people of this state get their act together and bump up wages to match what it costs to live?

Also, isn't there any kind of rent control in Hawaii? With such limited space to build on, this is really one place where strict (and I do mean strict) rent controls should be implemented. There's no reason why a 1 bedroom apartment should go for $1500, $2000 a month, or whatever it is that renters get raped for over there.

To be honest, I think Hawaii is far too different from the US to be really a part of this nation, but if they want to be one of the 50 states, I'd like to think they'd work a bit harder to be more like the rest of us, especially in regard to the standard of living. Just my opinion, of course.

Of course, there will be those who insist that I bow down and worship the god of the "free market" and that Hawaii deserves to have its crappy standard of living, because the God of the Free Market dictates that it be so. I do not worship this "god" and I don't see why anyone else does either.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:22 AM

47 posts, read 52,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I have a couple of questions about Hawaii, just out of curiosity.

Why is it that the minium wage in Hawaii is still stuck at $7.25 an hour when it's clearly the most costly place to live in the US? If Hawaii is really as "liberal" as they claim, then the min wage should be at LEAST $15 an hour, indexed annually to the LOCAL cost of living. All I hear about Hawaii is how low salaries are, and how expensive rents are - so why don't the good people of this state get their act together and bump up wages to match what it costs to live?

Also, isn't there any kind of rent control in Hawaii? With such limited space to build on, this is really one place where strict (and I do mean strict) rent controls should be implemented. There's no reason why a 1 bedroom apartment should go for $1500, $2000 a month, or whatever it is that renters get raped for over there.

To be honest, I think Hawaii is far too different from the US to be really a part of this nation, but if they want to be one of the 50 states, I'd like to think they'd work a bit harder to be more like the rest of us, especially in regard to the standard of living. Just my opinion, of course.

Of course, there will be those who insist that I bow down and worship the god of the "free market" and that Hawaii deserves to have its crappy standard of living, because the God of the Free Market dictates that it be so. I do not worship this "god" and I don't see why anyone else does either.
One can NOT consume what one does not produce. If the value of one's efforts amount to $100 per day, and given that there are so many non-wage costs associated with keep an employee "on-the-books", how could a system possibly pay more than say $50 per day.

The value of something is not based on cost-of-production, or cost-of-living or any such cost. Rather, it is, and can ONLY be, mutually agreed to by all parties concerned through a process we call "the free market" in which EVERYONE with something at risk have a say - both the providers and consumers of a product or service. In effect and in operation, it is the most perfectly-democratic arena in existence, because everyone involved "votes".

If you, as a potential provider of labor, conclude that the offered price is too low, and the consumer of that labor is unwilling to agree to your price, you both "vote" by rejecting the deal, or by voting again in the form of counter-offers. You vote with your participation or non-participation, by your offer and counter offer as far as price, i.e. wage. There is nothing more-democratic in existence.

if you don't like the going rate for the service you offer, just like the buggy-whip merchant in years gone by did, you change your product. You develop new skills, and offer a different service, one in higher demand, and lower supply, and where the "voting" will result in a higher wage.

That is the ONLY solution, i.e. the pure democracy of a FREE market (not manipulated by government intervention, i.e. "price fixing".

Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Following Seas View Post
One can NOT consume what one does not produce. If the value of one's efforts amount to $100 per day, and given that there are so many non-wage costs associated with keep an employee "on-the-books", how could a system possibly pay more than say $50 per day.

The value of something is not based on cost-of-production, or cost-of-living or any such cost. Rather, it is, and can ONLY be, mutually agreed to by all parties concerned through a process we call "the free market" in which EVERYONE with something at risk have a say - both the providers and consumers of a product or service. In effect and in operation, it is the most perfectly-democratic arena in existence, because everyone involved "votes".

If you, as a potential provider of labor, conclude that the offered price is too low, and the consumer of that labor is unwilling to agree to your price, you both "vote" by rejecting the deal, or by voting again in the form of counter-offers. You vote with your participation or non-participation, by your offer and counter offer as far as price, i.e. wage. There is nothing more-democratic in existence.

if you don't like the going rate for the service you offer, just like the buggy-whip merchant in years gone by did, you change your product. You develop new skills, and offer a different service, one in higher demand, and lower supply, and where the "voting" will result in a higher wage.

That is the ONLY solution, i.e. the pure democracy of a FREE market (not manipulated by government intervention, i.e. "price fixing".
So this is the prevailing way of thinking in Hawaii, then? Is this taught in the public schools and so forth?

Going by what you've said above, then Hawaii is in a real pickle, unless you're among the rich. Just too many people moving in chasing too few jobs, same with housing, etc.

Now, here's what I'd *really* love to see happen - educate anyone that's scraping by in Hawaii on a too-low wage that they really don't belong in the Aloha State - that Hawaii really is just for the rich, and that they should move en masse to the mainland. That'd solve a lot of problems - lower population, no more poverty, no more debates about the failings of the "free market," etc. Of course, the rich people that remain would be without their "help," but that's a minor, trivial problem, don't you think?

Simply put, Hawaii is a playground for the rich, and that's all it'll ever be, so lets educate those who are not rich that Hawaii is no place for them - both current residents and those who are considering moving there in the future. This way, everyone would be happy.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Simply put, Hawaii is a playground for the rich, and that's all it'll ever be, so lets educate those who are not rich that Hawaii is no place for them - both current residents and those who are considering moving there in the future. This way, everyone would be happy.
So nice to have someone who doesn't live in Hawaii be generous enough to solve our problems. How are things in Atlanta, or haven't you gotten around to fixing your own backyard yet?

Ho'o mimi aku

Old 03-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So this is the prevailing way of thinking in Hawaii, then? Is this taught in the public schools and so forth?

Going by what you've said above, then Hawaii is in a real pickle, unless you're among the rich. Just too many people moving in chasing too few jobs, same with housing, etc.

Now, here's what I'd *really* love to see happen - educate anyone that's scraping by in Hawaii on a too-low wage that they really don't belong in the Aloha State - that Hawaii really is just for the rich, and that they should move en masse to the mainland. That'd solve a lot of problems - lower population, no more poverty, no more debates about the failings of the "free market," etc. Of course, the rich people that remain would be without their "help," but that's a minor, trivial problem, don't you think?

Market economics is not so much a way of "thinking", but the way the world works - supply and demand, and the price that is a result of the relationship between the two. If lots of unskilled workers, or workers for which there is little or no demand, or for which the supply far exceeds the demand, come into the state, well the price of that labor will continue to go down.

Lots of people are willing to undergo financial stagnation in exchange for the lifestyle, real or perceived, available to them. To each his own, i.e. different strokes.

People do move out, and if enough of them moved out, the supply of "help" would go down, and the value of the service they provide, and hence their wages, would go up. I am surprised, however, at your flat-earth thinking (if your post is a true reflection thereof).

Paradise, like Ferrari's, ain't cheap, or "for" everyone. Welcome to reality, my friend.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Just too many people moving in chasing too few jobs, same with housing, etc.
Let's take care of this myth again.

More people move from Hawaii than to Hawaii per year, Hawaii for several years has had a net migration loss. Around 60,000 (give or take) move to Hawaii per year - and more than that leave.

Hawaii enjoys some of the lowest unemployment rates in the US.

We have plenty of housing, it just depends on what you are willing to pay for it.

Last edited by whtviper1; 03-02-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
So nice to have someone who doesn't live in Hawaii be generous enough to solve our problems. How are things in Atlanta, or haven't you gotten around to fixing your own backyard yet?

Ho'o mimi aku
Hey, I live in a nice home, in a very nice neighborhood, (on a very modest income, to boot ), I can get just about anywhere in the city I want in 20 minutes, I can get milk for $2.79 a gallon and I'm a day's drive to just about any climate / terrain I desire. Nah, we don't have too many problems that needs fixin' around here.

I'm just doing my part to educate any misguided folks that are thinking of moving to Hawaii b/c of the weather, and then find out that making a living is far tougher than on the mainland. If Hawaii wants to promote itself as a true paradise, I just think they should take whatever steps needed to overcome the shortcomings of the "free market" by doing such things as implementing a high min wage and rent controls. If this is not feasible (politically or otherwise) then the word needs to get that Hawaii is NOT a good place to move to unless you're wealthy.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's take care of this myth again.

More people move from Hawaii than to Hawaii per year, Hawaii for several years has had a net migration loss. Around 70,000 (give or take) move to Hawaii per year - and more than that leave.

Hawaii enjoys some of the lowest unemployment rates in the US.

We have plenty of housing, it just depends on what you are willing to pay for it.
That is very good news. I can only hope that this is the beginning of a very long-term trend, and that the Islands will gradually empty out in the decades ahead.

As for the housing, it's whatever people can afford, not what they're willing to pay. Here in Atanta, it's still possible to buy a nice 3/2 single family home on a decent-sized lot in a decent neighborhood in the low six figures. Is such a thing even remotely possible in Hawaii? I don't think so.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Hey, I live in a nice home, in a very nice neighborhood, (on a very modest income, to boot ), I can get just about anywhere in the city I want in 20 minutes, I can get milk for $2.79 a gallon and I'm a day's drive to just about any climate / terrain I desire. Nah, we don't have too many problems that needs fixin' around here.

I'm just doing my part to educate any misguided folks that are thinking of moving to Hawaii b/c of the weather, and then find out that making a living is far tougher than on the mainland. If Hawaii wants to promote itself as a true paradise, I just think they should take whatever steps needed to overcome the shortcomings of the "free market" by doing such things as implementing a high min wage and rent controls. If this is not feasible (politically or otherwise) then the word needs to get that Hawaii is NOT a good place to move to unless you're wealthy.
There are NO shortcomings of the free market, and no forced attempt at fixing the results will only make things worse, not better.

Values are what values are, government manipulation notwithstanding.

If you artificially raise wages, some will lose jobs, and prices overall will increase to absorb the add'l cash, so the value of the labor stayed the same, relative to the cost of living, even though the dollar figure for that wage went up.

Hawaii is NOT the place to move unless you are

a. Well to do.
b. Have a skill or talent for which real demand exists beyond current supply
c. You are willing to settle for economic privation.

As of yet, Manna does NOT fall from the sky, save for the occasional coconut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: