Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What im saying is, its hard to believe that all of the 76% who live check to check are there because of moral or bad choices which appears to be your argument a few post before.
I didn't say or imply all of the 76% who live check to check are in that situation due to "moral" (a word I did not use) or "bad choices" (another term I didn't use).

I did say many of the 76% have six figure incomes and live beyond their means and thus live paycheck to paycheck.

I'd estimate up to 50% (especially single) coworkers of mine live practically or do live check to check. They enjoy above average compensation (especially by Hawaii standards) but have chosen to lease expensive new cars, live in $3,500/month apartments, take a lot of trips, etc. They lead a fairly extravagant lifesyle. They seemingly are enjoying themselves but don't save anything. It may or may not catch up to them but it will for some of them.

That is a choice they've made.

They don't need to be in the 76% of people living check to check but they are. Of course, within the 76% there are legitimate check to check wage earners. But saying 76% are living check to check doesn't tell the complete story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
@whtviper1

Post #66 and this is it.

Thats not what the study said it said this "Last week, online lender CashNetUSA said 22% of the 1,000 people it recently surveyed had less than $100 in savings to cover an emergency, while 46% had less than $800. After paying debts and taking care of housing, car and child care-related expenses, the respondents said there just isn't enough money left over for saving more."

No where does it say or assumed its because of buying two cars or going on trips? I believe this is kinda an example of the rights thinking that anybody who is poor or struggling that its a moral or character flaw issue.

Debt can be anything from medical bills, paying bills(which alot of people use credit cards for), student loans etc etc.

Have you seen our poor? iphones, flatscreens, nice cars...... No, not ALL of the poor, of course not. But people in Western cultures certainly buy a lot of stuff..... and there goes the paycheck. What was big with urban poor? $300 tennis shoes. In general I have found people over spend.

Whtvper's examples are ones that came to mind also when it comes living paycheck to paycheck. I know a lot of people who spend what they have..... and they don't have to.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Have you seen our poor? iphones, flatscreens, nice cars...... No, not ALL of the poor, of course not. But people in Western cultures certainly buy a lot of stuff..... and there goes the paycheck. What was big with urban poor? $300 tennis shoes. In general I have found people over spend.

Whtvper's examples are ones that came to mind also when it comes living paycheck to paycheck. I know a lot of people who spend what they have..... and they don't have to.
Idk, I don't have all the answers, and sometimes i feel like you can show 20 pieces of real evidence of a problem or issue, and some people will have some rationalization to justify that there is no issue or its ok. Im not sure what that is? Maybe a form of denial?

But never the less the study has no bearing on individual spending habits. Also I know alot of responsible people who don't buy new stuff or addicted to spending who just stuggle to pay rent, house payments, child care, insurance and everything else.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM

@Mikala43

And the disappearing middle class is an example of this, and what im saying.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:34 PM

47 posts, read 52,884 times
Quote:
@Mikala43

And the disappearing middle class is an example of this, and what im saying.
Where did you get the notion that the middle class is disappearing? Who is feeding you this propoganda

Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Following Seas View Post
Where did you get the notion that the middle class is disappearing? Who is feeding you this propoganda
OMG! Are you serious? Were have you been?

Pick what you want nytimes, forbes, usnews and pages of other publiations

the disappearing american middle class - Google Search

There are pages on the search engines on the topic.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-03-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 06:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
OMG! Are you serious? Were have you been?

Pick what you want nytimes, forbes, usnews and pages of other publiations

the disappearing american middle class - Google Search

There are pages on the search engines on the topic.

Well...... the middle class technically cannot disappear..... be definition it's the people in the middle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:

Good answer!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Well...... the middle class technically cannot disappear..... be definition it's the people in the middle.
Ok much aloha to you sistah for your commitment to keep us Kolohe Malihini, locals and kanaka in line

Old 03-03-2014, 06:39 PM

Eh garans ballbarans poho either you can, can!…or if no can, no can”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: