Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

The Hamakua mushroom farm is all indoors with things growing in bags hanging on racks. Very odd sort of growing situation, but it apparently works for mushrooms. We were over there several years ago to see about mushroom compost so there's more production than just edible mushrooms.

Why would Hawaii be a good place to grow mushrooms? The basic temperature and humidity? Land costs are going to be higher as well as transportation costs unless you're selling to local markets or as mentioned, it would seem that Hawaii would be closer to the Asian markets. But wouldn't Asia have less expensive labor and land to grow their own? But hey, if the numbers work out, it sounds like an interesting venture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:45 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,344 times
Why would Hawaii be a good place to grow mushrooms?

1) It's a productive venue contributing to the economy without taxing the natural resources
2) It's an added-value ag venue addressing increased market demand for true Hawaiian ag products
3) Even climate, high humidity year round cuts down heating and cooling costs. Actually if the buildings were build underground or heavily insulated the energy costs for climate control would be minimal.
4) Solar energy year round can make the plant completely energy sufficient
5) Proximity to Asian markets via air freight (see 2)

Problem is our legislature again: Once Hawaiian mushrooms have gotten market reputation as a gourmet item, Oahu will import Asian mushrooms, package them here, claim that 51% value was added by them within the state of Hawaii, and sell them as 'HAWAIIAN GROWN'. All legal, but detrimental to the local farmers.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Having given an oyster mushroom culture in a box to my young nephew as a gift last year, and followed his gleeful progress as growth progressed, as he had a prolific harvest, which the whole family enjoyed, I was tickled by this detail... the growing-medium in the kit, which the vendor claims to be more ideal than the standard sterilized horsemanure growing-medium used throughout the mushroom industry, is spent coffee grounds.

I'm thinking that finding some spent coffee grounds on the Big Island shouldn't be too hard.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Problem is our legislature again: Once Hawaiian mushrooms have gotten market reputation as a gourmet item, Oahu will import Asian mushrooms, package them here, claim that 51% value was added by them within the state of Hawaii, and sell them as 'HAWAIIAN GROWN'. All legal, but detrimental to the local farmers.
Interesting assertion. Do you have any evidence that is actually happening?

I'm not challenging you, I just don't know and I've never heard of it before.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 PM

OpenD, the current and most blatant effort is SB111, which wants to do away with any little legal protection coffee & macadamia nuts currently enjoy. ALL of Hawaiian ag products and crafts should carry a "MADE IN HAWAII" sticker. Which is determined by TBD administrative rules set by our rather incompetent, understaffed, and currently leaderless HDOA. It clearly uses the "51% value added" phrase which has been used since years to foreign products packed in Hawaii and being declared as 'Hawaiian".

Prior to that Sen Nishihara came up with suggesting the 10% coffee blend rules for the chocolate & cacao industry. They didn't want to have anything less than 51% of Hawaiian chocolate in it and no lesser blends. Nishihara withdrew the bill then.

Will give you more info but it all is rather depressing.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
How is it detrimental to the farmers that selling 51% value add hurts them? Is there evidence that farmers can be successful selling 100% Hawaii grown. Seems as though selling 51% of something is better than selling 0% of something - perhaps 100% Hawaii grown would make it to expensive?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM

59 posts, read 101,723 times
I think the mushrooms to Korea could work. We've got Oysters and standard buttons but if something a little more exotic (not asian exotic obviously) like real big Portobellos came along, it could possibly work. Speaking of Hamakua, we've got the Macadamias here (in Korea). Two 4.5oz cans will run you a cool $60.

샵N_퍼스트13 : [해외]Hamakua Plantations Macadamia Nuts Chili Peppah Two 4.5 oz. Cans

Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 PM

12 posts, read 16,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
This is one case where having a lava tube on your land would be ideal.

I am a bit worried by the OP's questions however. They seem very uncertain and inexperienced. Everybody has to start somewhere, but a viable business of any kind, let alone farming/agriculture, takes years and years of experience and effort.

I was just thinking that we bought some Big Island mushrooms at the Costco here on Kaua'i--and they were delicious. I'm pretty sure it was these:

- Hamakua Mushrooms

If you're starting your own farm, you will have competition in that field. If you have business experience or contacts in Asia for selling mushrooms, perhaps you could get a job with that company.
Thanks I will look into this, actually we have already registered a farm LLC on big island, but we do not know what kind of other process we need to have.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
OpenD, the current and most blatant effort is SB111, which wants to do away with any little legal protection coffee & macadamia nuts currently enjoy. ALL of Hawaiian ag products and crafts should carry a "MADE IN HAWAII" sticker. Which is determined by TBD administrative rules set by our rather incompetent, understaffed, and currently leaderless HDOA. It clearly uses the "51% value added" phrase which has been used since years to foreign products packed in Hawaii and being declared as 'Hawaiian".
I dunno. I read the bill and I don't see anything alarming.

Section (a) says that crafts and souvenirs that wish to use the Made in Hawaii label must have at least 51% of the value of the product added in the state. So, OK, if you bring in a straw hat from the Philippines and want to label it Made in Hawaii, then you'd better add some substantial locally made decorations. That seems reasonable.

Section (b) says the same about perishable consumer commodities, that they can't be labeled "made in Hawaii", "produced in Hawaii", or "processed in Hawaii" unless at least fifty-one per cent of the wholesale value of the perishable consumer commodity is added by manufacture, processing, or production within the State. Sounds like floral decorations using imported pots and baskets for to me. Hard to argue with that.

And Section (c) This section shall not apply to the "made in Hawaii" labeling requirements of agricultural commodities determined by the board through rules adopted pursuant to section 147‑

So what's the worry? Has there ever been an actual case such as you raised a warning about... bulk mushrooms being brought in, and then merely packaged with a claim they were "Made in Hawaii"?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
How is it detrimental to the farmers that selling 51% value add hurts them? Is there evidence that farmers can be successful selling 100% Hawaii grown. Seems as though selling 51% of something is better than selling 0% of something - perhaps 100% Hawaii grown would make it to expensive?
"51% Value added" is an undefined term. "51% Hawaii grown" is different and the real coffee farmers would be more than happy to get this into law.

"51% Value added" is just a game with numbers and creative accounting. Which is hard to enforce or to control short of an unannounced audit, which no business should endure. Packaging imported ag products in Oahu, add shipping costs, local labor, rent, insurance, car park, utilities, machinery, advertising, and you have certainly more than 51% in costs compared to the actual farmgate value of the (foreign) crop. No dollar to a local farmer needed. These spent-dollars in Oahu sway the politicians and the unions to side with the importers and distributors, who need to move volume over quality with the name 'Hawai'i' stenciled on it.

There are plenty of 100% Hawaiian grown success stories and an incredible demand. That's why it is faked so often.

Prices on the upper tier are not so much of a problem as eroding the base. Everyone would love to get a French champagne for $5 a bottle. Even if it doesn't taste so phenomenal as it is supposed to. Or actually comes from France. But the hard working French vintners will lose the upper price justification for their premium product quickly and will go out of business eventually.

An innocent question started this thread: Where can one get Kona coffee below production costs? Too many companies are allowed to address this wish with simple deception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii