Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,290 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of emt training here in Indiana. My dream is too be a paramedic/firefighter in Honolulu. Obviously that doesn't happen over night so I'm young and want to set myself up to be able to accomplish this later in life. I've read a bit about different options to transfer over to Hawaii. A big thing I'm seeing is if your a paramedic to apply to work with the amr. But I was thinking, do you guys think it would be better for me to move to Hawaii and then become a paramedic or does it not matter where I become a paramedic at? I have yet to do my fire 1 &2 still so that's another thing, I think I would benefit from taking my fire 1&2 in Hawaii but am unsure about paramedic. Any more input is welcome as long as your not trying to kill my dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM

160 posts, read 288,836 times
Whoaa - slow down there, Speedy...

Get thru your Academy first in your homestate before you start making plans on where you want to begin your fire service career. Its wiser to obtain your Medic certification with the agency you are currently employed with as you'll be able to have them pick up the cost and at the same time getting your paycheck. Tuition for Medic school is certainly not like EMT course.

I agree planning ahead is a good thing but if you become ingrained with the idea of what your future job will be you might miss opportunities along the way. You'll have waayy too many opportunities for department testing than to just narrow it down to HFD.

Slow down in your planning and get the training, experience and background before you start dreaming about your "dream" location...

And yes...I'm qualified to speak on this subject (wildland firefighter, EMT, Chief Officer at Battalion, Division and Unit levels) and from the Islands.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:46 PM

431 posts, read 942,828 times
Is it true that there is no automatic reciprocity for EMT and Paramedic type certifications between Hawaii and mainland states? I've heard that this can make it really tough for mainland-certified people to get a position here.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM

That is what I've been reading too and that's also why asked the question. If it's easier to get hired in to Hawaii if I have my credentials from there then thats what I would prefer to do

Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM

16 posts, read 30,872 times
Hey look, someone like me! I agree with Merced, slow down. I have the same plans of being a medic and ER tech in Hawaii but it'll take at least two years of careful planning and I've gotta finish medic school first, of course. I'm verrrry big on plans. I keep getting conflicting reports regarding reciprocity for nationally certified EMTs/Medics on the islands. *shrug* at least there's plenty of room for techs in the ERs on Oahu, according to the hospital sites anyway. I'm aiming for Queen's Medical since I hear excellent things about their benefits. Hopefully they'll be ready when I'm ready!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,550,771 times
There have been several previous threads on this exact topic, and I remember some every detailed responses being posted. Use the Search function to pull them up from the archives.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by September22 View Post
Hey look, someone like me! I agree with Merced, slow down. I have the same plans of being a medic and ER tech in Hawaii but it'll take at least two years of careful planning and I've gotta finish medic school first, of course. I'm verrrry big on plans. I keep getting conflicting reports regarding reciprocity for nationally certified EMTs/Medics on the islands. *shrug* at least there's plenty of room for techs in the ERs on Oahu, according to the hospital sites anyway. I'm aiming for Queen's Medical since I hear excellent things about their benefits. Hopefully they'll be ready when I'm ready!
The Queens ED is a separate entity under the private "Emergency Group," run a bit differently from the main hospital. The ED nurses and techs, however, fall under the Queens Union agreements so, should you get a position there, you'll be covered.

It's a very busy ER which can translate to crazy and fun, if that's what you like. Some really great people to work with but it tends to be a rapidly spinning revolving door there as far as personnel goes. Good learning opportunity, without a doubt.

Pali Momi is busy too, thanks to its location in a very densely populated part of the Island. Castle is a rough ED, being the only one for many miles on the Windward side. They get everything but often need to transport to QMC if the patient's needs are beyond what they can handle. QMC West will be opening soon and promises to be a very busy ED, its only competition being Waianae Comp, which is only a Critical Access ED---they tend to intubate and get ready for transport. Kahuku is a tiny little place that is also a Critical Access Hospital, about 20 beds IIRC and basically, a long term care facility. They do get a lot of action from the North Shore, however, including more than their share of near-drownings and surfing accidents. Again, stabilize and transport, but they do a good job of it. Kaiser is its own world, as is Tripler.

I occasionally do critical care transports with AMR---an ICU RN has to accompany an ICU patient during inter-hospital transports. Great people. We tend to spend the whole ride talking story, LOL. I think of them as very cute kids---love 'em. Then again, I have a pile of grandkids and anyone under the age of forty is a kid to me.

And then there are the flight nurses. I worked with quite a few of them when they were ICU nurses so it's like old home week when they show up. Not sure if they use EMT's or Paramedics---maybe just RN's? But you need to get your RN and get some good experience under your belt before you'd be able to go for that.

Hey....ever think of getting your RN, doing the ER and ICU thing, and then going for flight nurse? Seems like a majorly cool job. Very busy folks, thanks to the sad state of health care availability on the other islands. Again, another group of fabulous pros.

BTW, I think that you can, eventually, get reciprocity, but from what I understand it can be quite a back-and-forth process, with Hawaii authorities evaluating your education, suggesting "fixes," you providing those "fixes," etc. Do-able, I believe, when all is said and done, but quite the PITA. But I don't think it would be impossible. That said, it's rare, IME, to see a mainland transplant EMT or Paramedic. But I suppose perseverance would prevail, especially if you are here and already working as an ER tech.

Another aside: Nursing license reciprocity is automatic for US nursing licenses. Something to think about, maybe. Maybe not.

Best of luck with your plans!

Last edited by PaliPatty; 02-26-2014 at 12:40 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM

16 posts, read 30,872 times
Awesome post! Flight medic has crossed my mind before. In these parts(and I'll assume is a national standard) flight teams are a three-person crew of pilot, flight medic and flight nurse. According to my research (I do a lot of it before I jump into something lol), paramedics need at least 5 years of experience in a busy 911 system before trying to earn their wings. I just might, those jumpsuits are badass

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by September22 View Post
Awesome post! Flight medic has crossed my mind before. In these parts(and I'll assume is a national standard) flight teams are a three-person crew of pilot, flight medic and flight nurse. According to my research (I do a lot of it before I jump into something lol), paramedics need at least 5 years of experience in a busy 911 system before trying to earn their wings. I just might, those jumpsuits are badass

And about those jumpsuits. A while ago they got new ones. Red white and blue. LOL---they look like Super Mario now!

Here is a great article about Life Flight Hawaii.

Parting Shot: Hawaii Life Flight - Hawaii Business - April 2013 - Hawaii

Hey---just noticed Alan in one of those pics, a nurse I used to work with! Very small world here!

On that particular flight they used only RN's, though, so I'm not sure about whether they use flight medics but I think they might.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 AM

Acctually that gas crossed my mind numerous times seems to be a awesome job but I have heard that the line to be a flight medic is as long as the wall of china. A lot if great info there palipatty. That's very much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii