Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:36 PM

382 posts, read 337,246 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm taking my girlfriend to Hawaii in August/Sept. I was wondering what are the best hotels to stay at on a beach that aren't to expensive...any ideas or info on whAt island or what hotel for a reasonable price? I'm also going I be proposing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,822,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1987 View Post
Hi, I'm taking my girlfriend to Hawaii in August/Sept. I was wondering what are the best hotels to stay at on a beach that aren't to expensive...any ideas or info on whAt island or what hotel for a reasonable price? I'm also going I be proposing!
What are your ages and what are your interests? Will you be bringing kids? Are you willing to rent a car? Do you like the city more or country? Touristy areas or more private? What do you consider a reasonable price?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 PM

382 posts, read 337,246 times
No kids and we do want to do things like boating snorkeling music restaurants. I saw prices for 1400 for some for one person including flight. But if like to go for 5 days. Yes I'll rent a car and country is better but I guess with access to shows in the city if they aren't any In country.

Excuse my typing I'm on iPhone.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 PM

Based on what you have said, I'd suggest the Park Shore in Waikiki. It is not in the country but you can get to it either on a tour or by renting a car. It is also across the street from the beach and within walking distance to many different restaurants and shows.
DISCOVER WAIKIKI | Park Shore Waikiki

If you would like things a little bit slower, then I would suggest Lahaina Shores in Lahaina, Maui. It is also within walking distance to many different restaurants and shows as well as on the beach. The pace is a little slower there compared to Waikiki and it is easier to get to the country side.
Lahaina Shores-Hawaii Beach Resorts-Maui Condos Rent-Beachfront

Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
I recommend taking a little time to peruse a travel site or two for general info, such as this one furnished by the Hawaiian state tourism office. Each island is different, and each appeals to a different group of travelers, with different interests...

Hawaii's Official Tourism Site -- Travel Info for Your Hawaii Vacation

Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 PM

I agree with OpenD. My suggestions were based only on the small amount of info you offered. Do a lot more research and come back and let us know what areas you are interested in. Then I am sure someone can suggest a place there that is in your budget, if one exists because some areas of Hawaii are very expensive.
Also if you want to do a lot of snorkeling, I would suggest you avoid being in Hawaii 7 to 11 days after the full moon.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1987 View Post
I agree with the talking heads above. But might i suggest instead of renting a hotel room that can go for hundreds a night. I might suggest a vacation rental or renting a short term apartment. I suggested this because you might be able to make your stay last longer or make your money last longer, just something to think about?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:09 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,283,439 times
I also recommend renting a vacation home or condo. I think it's a much better experience than renting a hotel room. Think about staying longer, like a week or two if you can afford it. Five days is way too short to see much. Even two and a half weeks is way too short for me. Think about what kind of experience you want. Do you like big city life and crowds, or a more peaceful setting? Check out VRBO for vacation rentals or other similar vacation rentals to get an idea what's out there. You might find driving painful in Oahu, but easy on the outer islands. Don't try to rent from the cheapest car rental company. We made that mistake on Maui renting from Advantage. All their cars are beat up junkers.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,231,842 times
If you are coming from NH you will want at least 7 days if not 10. The first day (or two) is devoted to jet lag, and the last day gets cut short with no hotel to keep your stuff while waiting to go to the airport so that leaves only 3 days if you going for 5 days. Not worth it at all. Don't leave your stuff in the rental car if it shows, it may get broken into.

I always stay at a Bed and Breakfast cottage or apartment, hate hotels. But if you are proposing I would stay away from them, expecting her to cook and clean might get dicey. Better to wine and dine at a nice hotel. You will get the best deal in Waikiki but stay near the ocean, not too far off.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But might i suggest instead of renting a hotel room that can go for hundreds a night. I might suggest a vacation rental.

Although there are some good hotels that are not hundreds of dollars a night scattered through out Hawaii, I do enjoy vacation rentals from VRBO and think this is great advice Hawaiian By Heart.

I really enjoy it when you make at least a mostly positive post like this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii