Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:51 PM

54 posts, read 195,363 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I was on here around Thanksgiving, I'm back again This time for more than just cooking ideas!

I'll be visiting a friend in Honolulu from Jan 30th -Feb 12th. I'd like to hop over to Maui and Molokai for a few days.

Maui mainly for the whales, the last time I was there I was able to go out on a small sailboat that the neighbor of the B&B charters. I'm looking into staying there again.

Molokai because I haven't been there yet and I'd see the "old" Hawaii. I'm looking for a reasonably priced B&B, nothing fancy. Just a clean place to sleep and maybe something to eat. Any ideas? Also, how long should I plan on spending there 2-3 days? I'm just wanting to relax, hang out at a beach, do some hiking... that kind stuff.

One other thing... I'm considering getting SCUBA certified while I'm on Maui, is the going rate about $300 everywhere?

Thanks everyone!
Tal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 04:29 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
Hi Tal,

Regarding a visit to Molokai...I was there for two days and wished that I could have had one extra to get in a good hike. I think three days is better if you want to get a good feel for both sides of the island and be able to drive up to at least visit the overlook for Kalaupapa...or maybe do a tour: http://www.muleride.com/

Also ask someone at your hotel or B&B about the "bread run"...if they are still doing it, I think it is Wed-Sunday starting at 10pm. YUM!!

Old 12-15-2007, 05:57 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
aloha, tal!

welcome back! haven't heard from you since thanksgiving. are you sure you don't want a christmas goose recipe?! lol. don't have one anyway!!!

Last edited by kani-lehua; 12-15-2007 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: insert

Old 12-15-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
aloha, tal!

welcome back! haven't heard from you since thanksgiving. are you sure you don't want a christmas goose recipe?! lol. don't have one anyway!!!

Thanks!

I don't have to cook the entire dinner, just a few different appetizers. My Aunt is doing a standing rib roast. But I'm always up for good recipes

As far as the mule ride goes, I've thought about it... but I'm not sure if mu stomach could take it What is the "bread run"? Where did you stay?

Thanks, Tal

Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 PM

I've been doing more looking around and have more questions, LOL

My first visit there was back in '85, I think, Maui wasn't so touristy back then and we were able to go whale watching on a Zodiac raft, it was Great! Is that pretty much a thing of the past? Being on the big boats just isn't apealing to me.

Food question, I'm sure K-L can help here I've been invited to dinner at "Spice", think that's it, what's it like? Good food, reasonable prices? I don't want to waste a bunch of $ on a meal when I can spend it on other things.

One other thing I would like to do is visit the filming locations of LOST and Dante's Cove. I know both filmed a lot on Oahu's North Shore... anyone have info on specific areas? Would be fun to take some pics in recognizeable places.

More questions later, thanks!

Tal

p.s. we're getting a snowstorm tonight

Old 12-16-2007, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 20,471 times
Default scuba cert

300 sounds very cheap..... I would use caution. 450 is more realistic going rate. They may actually do the cert for 300 but there will be hidden costs and high pressure sales- gear rental, boat fees, certification card fees, etc. Dont fold to the pressure to buy dive gear - you can buy it much cheaper elsewhere.

I would suggest doing more research and compare the services with other operations. Some may offer beach dives to reduce costs, which isnt a bad thing on maui, but in most cases is not cool or fun on oahu. scubaboard has lots of info.......

Please remember that scuba instructors dont make much money (about $70 per day).... If you get good service and quality instruction- you should tip them accordingly. Keep in mind that the instructor has about an hour of set-up before and about an hour of clean up beyond actually working with you for the three days.

good luck

Capt Chris

Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTal View Post
Food question, I'm sure K-L can help here I've been invited to dinner at "Spice", think that's it, what's it like? Good food, reasonable prices? I don't want to waste a bunch of $ on a meal when I can spend it on other things.

sorry, i haven't been there and can't remember the kind of food that's served. possibley indian or middle eastern?

whale watching is from december through march. look in today's honolulu advertiser. there was an article about it in the travel section.

keep safe and warm!!!! oklahoma got it pretty bad with all the snow and ice.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:40 PM

Thanks Capt. Chris, I'll check out scubaboard... I'm assiming it's .com?

I'll check the paper for the story, thanks! I've stayed inside all afternoon looking up stuff since it's nasty outside. The snow stopped but it's still windy and cold.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
As far as whale watching is concerned on Maui, rent a kayak, they're fairly stable, you can get a tandem seater, just make sure you have a floatation device, and take off from a beach that has lifegaurds, let the lifegaurd know where you're paddling to, and when you expect to be back. Just in case. I've stayed at the Pau Hana Inn and the Molokai Hotel a few years back, both places are great, but don't expect central AC or a 22nd floor room with a big lanai!! I think it was the Pau Hana, had one of the cottages while working on a project there, you walk in the door, on the left is a little desk, with a can of industrial strength insecticide sitting on top and a little leaflet about the various critters that you might see roaming around!!!! Heck, I've found three scorpions in my condo here on Maui in the last three days, think I've got Molokai beat!!!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna
Eh, Kani, you not out chasing da nene again??????

Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Heck, I've found three scorpions in my condo here on Maui in the last three days, think I've got Molokai beat!!!!!!
Aloha and okolemaluna
Eh, Kani, you not out chasing da nene again??????
yuck! scorpions! haven't seen any of those in years. the first and last time was at our family home in ewa beach. hey, maybe that's your aumakua?!

no nene for me. hefty hefty fine if you even look the wrong way at one .

Last edited by kani-lehua; 12-16-2007 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii