Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times

Advertisements

how about tipping? when you receive good service from your waiter/waitress, baggage handler, etc., please give them a tip. they depend on tips to supplement their income. gosh, we even tip our plumber and our electrician. feed them, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 PM

24 posts, read 209,981 times
Don't just stay in Waikiki! I planned a trip for some friends who were coming out here to visit and they stayed a few days in Waikiki, a few days up at the North Shore, and a few days in the Lanikai/Kailua area. I always suggest renting a car and going around the island. My favorite places to go are Lanikai beach, Kailua town, hiking Maunawili falls, hanging out at the N. Shore and in Haleiwa, hiking to Waimea Falls, snorkeling at Shark's Cove in the summer or Hanauma in the winter, hiking Makapu'u Lighthouse, seeing the Pali lookout, going to the Valley of the Temples in Kaneohe, doing the Pearl Harbor tour, going to Chinatown or some of the museums in Honolulu, and just getting off the beaten path. For food, I like Duke's in Waikiki, Buzz's in Lanikai, Haleiwa Joe's in Haleiwa.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Rep point to surfergirl79 for great advice...

When I brought my SO for his first real visit (with someone who knows the island) in December, that is just what I told him. And we ate at Dukes on Day 1 and Haleiwa Joe's on Day 3!

Wish we had been able to do more--hopefully will get back for another visit soon!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Rep point to surfergirl79 for great advice...

When I brought my SO for his first real visit (with someone who knows the island) in December, that is just what I told him. And we ate at Dukes on Day 1 and Haleiwa Joe's on Day 3!

Wish we had been able to do more--hopefully will get back for another visit soon!
formaggio's (spelling) just opened up in kailua. same people from hy's steak house. sort of upscale california pizza kitchen, i'm told. supposed to be adding steaks.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 PM

279 posts, read 782,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl79 View Post
Don't just stay in Waikiki! I planned a trip for some friends who were coming out here to visit and they stayed a few days in Waikiki, a few days up at the North Shore, and a few days in the Lanikai/Kailua area. I always suggest renting a car and going around the island. My favorite places to go are Lanikai beach, Kailua town, hiking Maunawili falls, hanging out at the N. Shore and in Haleiwa, hiking to Waimea Falls, snorkeling at Shark's Cove in the summer or Hanauma in the winter, hiking Makapu'u Lighthouse, seeing the Pali lookout, going to the Valley of the Temples in Kaneohe, doing the Pearl Harbor tour, going to Chinatown or some of the museums in Honolulu, and just getting off the beaten path. For food, I like Duke's in Waikiki, Buzz's in Lanikai, Haleiwa Joe's in Haleiwa.
i was going to say the same about waikiki, except dont stay there at all. i passed by there during my visit and i was amazed at how bad it is compared to other parts of the island. its all overcrowded with a small strip of sand and skyscrapers. i stayed in kailua and it was much nicer

as for my own. be sure to get some shave ice

Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 PM

144 posts, read 735,982 times
Sit back, relax, have a good time.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM

10 posts, read 39,720 times
Just sit right back & you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip. That started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailing man, The skipper brave & sure. Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour, A three hour tour.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-11-2009 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: no links to other sites

Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
When you're leaving the island(s) you're visiting, do NOT say, "I'm going back to the States!" I can't tell you how many times I've heard this said while in Hawaii and it just makes me shake my head in awe of such ignorance.

People say that that live here! Or, "I'm going to America". It's partially in jest; partly not.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
When in Rome do as the Romans..
When in Hawaii do as the Hawaiians.... Slow down enjoy, live aloha,respect the people and the land..

Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 PM

65 posts, read 289,191 times
The best advice given so far is to slow down: shift into low gear at the baggage claim. Be open minded and open hearted. Lock your car. You can get sunburnt on a cloudy day so use sunblock even if you think you don't need it. If you encounter an unhappy resident, don't take it personally. Beam aloha and it will beam right back at you. Find a place that serves fish caught that day. Stop at a road side stand, buy and eat a weird new fruit. It helps to ask how to eat it. If the proprietor is not present, leave payment in the honor box or coffee can. Buy yourself an orchid lei at the grocery store on your first day. Before the trip go to the library and read every guide book you can find. Highlight off-the-beaten-trail suggestions. Don't drive the whole time. Get out of the car and explore. Eat at a local dive, and ask the server what she likes best. Beam aloha and it will beam right back at you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii