Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM

198 posts, read 387,672 times

Advertisements

I would love to find out the song used on this video. I don't have a youtube or google account to ask the poster and I do not want to set one up (for other reasons). So if you know it please let me know, or if you would be so nice as to ask the poster of the video using your youtube account. I would appreciate it.

Thanks

dash-cam go-pro circle city tour of lihue, kauai, hawaii 02-19-14 - YouTube
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,584,477 times
I listened to the first few minutes and heard nothing but waves, so I got bored and shut it off. Maybe you can let us know at what point in the video the actual music starts?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,493,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I listened to the first few minutes and heard nothing but waves, so I got bored and shut it off. Maybe you can let us know at what point in the video the actual music starts?
What choo talkin' about Willis? The guitar starts at .00 seconds, and the singing about .26 .

Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,270,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
I would love to find out the song used on this video. I don't have a youtube or google account to ask the poster and I do not want to set one up (for other reasons). So if you know it please let me know, or if you would be so nice as to ask the poster of the video using your youtube account. I would appreciate it.

Thanks

dash-cam go-pro circle city tour of lihue, kauai, hawaii 02-19-14 - YouTube
It's called "Mokupuni Nui" (Big Island). It was written by Keith Haugen in 1978. The version of it in the YouTube video (about Lihuʻe, Kauaʻi of all places) was performed by Ledward Kaʻapana and it's on his 2006 "Grandmaster Slack Key Guitar" album. Here are the uncorrected lyrics to it, along with a rough translation…

Kaulana, ka mokupuni o Keawe
Kilakila, na mauna ki`eki`e
Ha`aheo i ka makani a `o Kona
E Hawai`i, ka `aina o kahiko

Hawai`i nui, ka `aina o ka Mo`i
`Aina uluwehi i ka ua a `o Hilo

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
Ka mo`oleo o ka mokupuni nui
Ho`omana`o ('ia) i na mele a me na oli
E Hawai`i, ka `aina o kahiko

E Hawai`i, ka mokupuni nui

Famous, the Island of Keawe
Majestic, the highest mountains
Proud in the winds of Kona
Hawai`i, the land of old

Big Hawai`i, the land of the King
Lush land, in the rain of Hilo

Tell again the refrain
The story of the Big Island
Remembered in songs and chants
Hawai`i, the land of old.

Hawai`i, the Big Island

Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,773,694 times
@Jonah K

Yes nice catch jonah, your becoming a hawaii goto guy.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,493,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Jonah K

Yes nice catch jonah, your becoming a hawaii goto guy.
Jonah has always been a Hawai'i go-to guy, since long before you joined CDF.

Personally, I'd like to see him around more often. Maybe we could get something like the Bat Signal rigged up, to call him when needed.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Jonah has always been a Hawai'i go-to guy, since long before you joined CDF.

Personally, I'd like to see him around more often. Maybe we could get something like the Bat Signal rigged up, to call him when needed.
Lol got to love the aloha.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:28 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,232,838 times
I knew it was Ledward Kaʻapana's voice, but I didn't know the song. I saw him perform live in MN. He and a couple others braved our below zero weather and come here a couple times for a slack key concert. I hope I can find out if they come here again, I missed the last one because I can't find a website for any concert tours, if anyone knows one let me know. Even the venue he performs at doesn't announce it too far in advance. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I knew it was Ledward Kaʻapana's voice, but I didn't know the song. I saw him perform live in MN. He and a couple others braved our below zero weather and come here a couple times for a slack key concert. I hope I can find out if they come here again, I missed the last one because I can't find a website for any concert tours, if anyone knows one let me know. Even the venue he performs at doesn't announce it too far in advance. Thanks!
Heres a website that will be helpful to you and others.

Hawaiian Music Concerts

Im seeing Richard Ho`opi`i, Ledward Kaapana, George Kahumoku this October when they come to town.

Ps: All this information and i don't currently live on a Hawai'i island.

There is also links to individual musicians websites

Old 09-11-2014, 09:44 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,232,838 times
Thanks, nice site. No concerts here in flyover land, but I will keep checking since it's only scheduled through the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: