Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Isnt it funny alot of people in hawaii are drinking starbucks coffee, but i just love kona blend coffee. But its difficult to find a true blend that isnt mixed with something.
It's even hard to find on the Big Island, and very expensive when you do. By law and court decision the blend has to have 10% Kona coffee to call itself a Kona blend, and most of what you see on supermarket as local coffee is exactly 10% Kona, no more.

Meanwhile, a lot of Kona has fallen in quality, and Ka'u has been winning awards, which is why I have come to prefer Ka'u. It's more expensive than 10% Kona, but it's very rich and delicious.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's even hard to find on the Big Island, and very expensive when you do. By law and court decision the blend has to have 10% Kona coffee to call itself a Kona blend, and most of what you see on supermarket as local coffee is exactly 10% Kona, no more.

Meanwhile, a lot of Kona has fallen in quality, and Ka'u has been winning awards, which is why I have come to prefer Ka'u. It's more expensive than 10% Kona, but it's very rich and delicious.
I know so ono.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
I could roast my own if i wanted to. I have done. But with all my varied interests and endeavors, I can't be bothered to do everything myself, so I'm happy to have others do for me. My current fave is a dark roast from Pahala - Moa'ula Ka'u Cloud Rest Coffee.
OpenD, when I moved here I found I had a few coffee plants on my property and thought, well hell, I'll have to harvest the cherries and see how it tastes. Man, it was a lot of work to do by hand; removing the outer layer, letting them dry, removing the paper etc...I roasted them in a cast-iron skillet and when they cracked and I roasted them to a nice medium roast, well the experience was worth the effort.
I can't say it tasted any better than the other Ka'u coffee I have had, and I'm not sure I'll do it again next year, but it was quite the experience.

And to remain on-topic, I don't care for Starbucks coffee, their roasting, at least to me leaves it all tasting burnt.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
OpenD, when I moved here I found I had a few coffee plants on my property and thought, well hell, I'll have to harvest the cherries and see how it tastes. Man, it was a lot of work to do by hand; removing the outer layer, letting them dry, removing the paper etc...I roasted them in a cast-iron skillet and when they cracked and I roasted them to a nice medium roast, well the experience was worth the effort.
I can't say it tasted any better than the other Ka'u coffee I have had, and I'm not sure I'll do it again next year, but it was quite the experience.

And to remain on-topic, I don't care for Starbucks coffee, their roasting, at least to me leaves it all tasting burnt.
Yes i noticed that to about starbucks coffee from time to time it had a burnt taste and it has alot of acid too.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post

Yes good point Grassyknoll and they do burn the beans because they use mostly the crappiest beans, one would Never burn good quality beans, they would be carefully roasted.

Another excellent reason to boycott Starbucks!!

Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
Write what's in the bag on the bag. Every consumer wants that. Doesn't matter if it's a health warning or unsubstantiated.

'Previously frozen fish' is not unhealthier than fresh fish, but consumers want to know and therefore it's the law. Strawberries from Guatemala may be better, tastier, cheaper than the ones from Washington State. Which consumers prefer and want to know therefore.

Neil Young is right by pressuring Starbucks and Keurig/Green Mountain Coffee, Vermont to step away from the pro GMO politics. Both bank on conscious, environmentally concerned customers. He is known to speak for small farmers, disabled people, against consumerism and anonymous corporate money.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
Quote:
Just to counter the provocative title, I think everyone should read this article about a huge new study just published by researchers at UC Davis. This clearly demonstrates why GMO labeling is unnecessary, and why the whole anti-GMO frenzy needs to just come to an end now.

The Debate About GMO Safety Is Over, Thanks To A New Trillion-Meal Study - Forbes

As far as criticism of the enormously successful Starbucks chain because "their coffee sucks," it reminds me of that old quote about a popular watering hole, attributed to Casey Stengel: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded."
its never over so to speak. and its not about GMO either its all about the patenting of plants and animals to control the worlds food source.

Mansanto you say... well Judge Clarence Thomas who sits on the the SCOTUS was one of those who voted for the patenting of plants. Before becoming a Judge he worked for Mansanto.

Here is a list of other Mansanto employees...
Attached Thumbnails
GMO's and Starbucks-mansanto1.jpg  

Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
I grew up in the coffee region of Colombia, we produce the world's top arabica coffee and when I had my first starbucks I actually had two sips and then threw it in the trash.

I don't know how some people can say they love their coffee and think starbucks is fantastic, its like saying you love and know everything about cars and think a ford is better than a BMW!

The only coffee beans you burn are the low quality ones to create a "quemado" flavor "the same beans starbucks buys", meaning a roast coffee flavor will hide the fact the beans are low quality.... top quality beans are kept as they are because real coffee flavor should come from the bean mixing with the hot water.... all those gooey sweeteners and liquid artificial flavors starbucks use in your coffee is nothing but substances hiding the fact your coffee is 1% coffee, 99% a bunch of chemical stuff!!!!

do yourself a favor and stop thinking starbucks is good quality coffee, and rubbing it onto other people's faces convinced is absolutely delicious because you know your coffee!!! it makes you look like a complete wannabe trying to pretend you're something you're not!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
Irene, you are right. But the coffee served in the USA before Starbucks came was worse.

Starbucks is not really selling coffee but the sugar and milk in it, the saying goes. That's where the GMO labeling would hurt them, because the grain the cows eat is GMO corn. Their sugar is from GMO sugar beets.

That the argument about GMO would be over as OpenD says is just the opposite: What I see there are more and more. It's not about science, it's about consumer choice. Consumers don't like to be patronized in their preferences and neither does a democracy.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:33 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
What does good coffee taste like? To me, all coffee tastes bitter, at least all that I have ever tasted. The only way I can drink coffee is IF it is mostly, not coffee. I have been told it is only because I haven't tried, "GOOD" coffee. So, while we were on the big island I went on a search for the "GOOD" coffee. I tried many, many, MANY different coffees. Both Kona and Kaʻu. What I found is that they all taste like....coffee!

One good thing did come out of my search. I learned that they sell some great Laulau up at the Kaʻu Coffee Mill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: