Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 05:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post

You know, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems clear to me that a company that can properly label their product as "NON-GMO" is free to do so. We have "No MSG", "No Transfats", "No sugar added", "No HFCS", etc. Why is this an issue?
Because that would be a simple solution - who needs simple when you can be complicated. With nearly everything in the US being GMO - it is far easier to label "NON-GMO".

Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
The will of the people can not be overruled by the constitution. Ever. The US constitution is constantly adjusted, amended, interpreted. So don't spread falsehoods especially when the Supreme Court has not yet ruled on GMO labeling.
Effectively it has ruled, by refusing to review the 1995 Vermont decision by the Court of Appeals. That's how much legal precedent is established, when SCOTUS effectively says: "There's no need for us to review this."

Quote:
The desire of US consumers (like all other countries) for GMO labeling is not even remotely mob mentality--these were consistent results professionally taken over 2 decades.
My point is that what people say in a simple consumer polls is often at odds with how they actually behave, so unless they are fully informed and consider all the consequences, the poll results can be wildly inaccurate... as we've seen in several very public belly flops around national elections.

Asking whether consumers want a particular change to take place without asking them how much they are willing to pay for such proposed change constitutes a deliberate act of self-delusion. People want all kinds of things to happen, as long as they are free, and require no self-sacrifice. But really, we should all recognize that really isn't how people approach real decisions. Stand in front of the milk display at your favorite supermarket and notice the ratio of Organic milk people buy, versus the ordinary milk. That's a real life demonstration of how important it is for ordinary people to "buy organic," no matter what they claim in a consumer poll.

Quote:
There's no price tag on poll questions. Neither are they on a ballot. What kind of job were you botching when claiming that you were in this business?!?
This, since the point has not been clear, is a bogus personal insult, cut entirely from whole cloth, and it is prohibited by the TOS.

Quote:
OpenD, this Hawaii board is not your turf to spread the corporate GMO message unopposed anymore. People who have an interest to move or travel here should know that we farmers and citizens are not welcoming Monsanto and Syngentas mainland politics and operations on our islands.
Ohmigard, such arrogance! You have appointed yourself liberator of this forum from the horrible scourge of independent free thinking and verifiable facts? I'm pretty sure the owners of this forum intend it to be a safe place for the free exchange of opinions and ideas. Get a grip on yourself.

Quote:
$300 MOnsanto money per vote didn't change that in Maui.
Did you mention that the opposition spending all came from mainland Natural Food interests, who are trying to justify the 10% to 20% premium typically charged for food in their stores over normal supermarket offerings, and who chose Hawai'i as a dramatic battleground in which to stage a battle for consumer headspace because the state is so small and so romantacized with the public? No, I didn't think so.

Quote:
Each time you will post some corporate fear mongering, fake warnings about securing food supplies, costs of labeling, painting concerned moms as being against science, etc I will be on your tale with corrections.
Go ahead, you can start any time now with those corrections.

So far you have not been able to refute a single thing I've said here, because I am not interested in ideology, nor do I expound it. I'm interested in the truth, so that's what I speak to.

And so, in the spirit of the season... I say... Peace on Earth, Good Will to Mankind.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:55 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Because that would be a simple solution - who needs simple when you can be complicated. With nearly everything in the US being GMO - it is far easier to label "NON-GMO".
I would not be surprised if we begin to see that printed in large print on the very few products that can claim it. Just 'organic' doesn't cover the GMO part and any excuse to raise prices again.....

Edit,,,,,almost forgot -peace on earth, the galaxy and beyond, good will to mankind and all the critters too.

Last edited by tdr22; 12-24-2014 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: pffffft

Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
I would not be surprised if we begin to see that printed in large print on the very few products that can claim it. Just 'organic' doesn't cover the GMO part and any excuse to raise prices again.....
I'm not so sure. If it was all that it was cracked up to be you'd see more of it already (non-GMO). I suspect it doesn't happen now as they don't won't to call attention to the much higher prices.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:28 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
They may have learned too that Proof would be hard to come by, just a few years ago so many thing were claimed to be 'organic' that were proved not to be. Now companies may think twice about claiming anything new besides the latest 'gluten-free' which is already losing it's appeal.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:22 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
OpenD, you call yourself an independent freethinker?1

You ignore basic marketing principles. You ignore that the laws in this country are ever changing; that 'We the people...establish justice". You do not believe in polls taken by various institutes over two decades would bear any meaning. You believe that $70K beating $8 mil corporate money on a ballot vote in Maui would amount to a conspiracy orchestrated on the mainland with sinister motives. You ignore that the boom in organic labeled products would not be cause for worry to food giants.

Really. Are you actually reading your stuff before hitting the post button? You support the short sighted GMO industry's attitude of 'Shut Up & Eat It!' with an even bigger 'Haven't I made that clear!' What's next? 'You are all anti science idiots!' Hmmm, I think you stated that already somewhere.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:09 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:

You ignore basic marketing principles. You ignore that the laws in this country are ever changing; that 'We the people...establish justice". You do not believe in polls taken by various institutes over two decades would bear any meaning. You believe that $70K beating $8 mil corporate money on a ballot vote in Maui would amount to a conspiracy orchestrated on the mainland with sinister motives. You ignore that the boom in organic labeled products would not be cause for worry to food giants.

Really. Are you actually reading your stuff before hitting the post button? You support the short sighted GMO industry's attitude of 'Shut Up & Eat It!' with an even bigger 'Haven't I made that clear!' What's next? 'You are all anti science idiots!' Hmmm, I think you stated that already somewhere.
Great Mofo Observation....

Old 12-25-2014, 11:56 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Quote:

Actually, it isn't much of a worry for the food giants. As the Org/Natural market has grown, the big players in manufacturing, distribution and sales simply buy their way in. This is why the last 10 years have seen a lot of the pioneering marquee organic brands that really started the industry, bought out and consolidated by the big conventional players. It has been somewhat clumsy in some instances and not all acquisitions work, but if there is money to be made (particularly at the increased margins of Org/Nat grocery), then you can bet the big players will be involved. For them, Organics are simply another revenue stream.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:

Every place where I've highlighted the word "you" above is a personal comment directed at me. Tsk tsk tsk.

And to correct the false implication at the end, I have never said "You are all anti science idiots!" It's not my style at all.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:26 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Every place where I've highlighted the word "you" above is a personal comment directed at me. Tsk tsk tsk.

And to correct the false implication at the end, I have never said "You are all anti science idiots!" It's not my style at all.
For someone who was screaming and yelling about politics and Hawaiian Sovereignty issue threads on CDF Hawaii, you sure changed your tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: