Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
My guess would be due to the highly processed foods, we have found over the last few years, that contain insane amounts of added salt, fats and other additives put in for the Sole purpose of creating cravings, etc. Many people, from what I have read and heard, would like to eat and feed their children foods that are at least Identifiable as edible.
I hear what you are saying - but I thing that is really different. I don't think of processed foods are the same as modified foods (Spam comes to mind - one of the most unhealthiest things you could ever eat yet people seem to have no problem feeding that to children).

I just personally believe the world cannot sustain on "natural" food alone - you need food that can grow resistant to disease, bugs, and changing climate. It needs some help.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:58 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I hear what you are saying - but I thing that is really different. I don't think of processed foods are the same as modified foods (Spam comes to mind - one of the most unhealthiest things you could ever eat yet people seem to have no problem feeding that to children).

I just personally believe the world cannot sustain on "natural" food alone - you need food that can grow resistant to disease, bugs, and changing climate. It needs some help.
That may well be true with the droughts here and there, new diseases popping up, etc. Really all we can do is Hope they catch any potentially dangerous 'modifications' before any harm is done.

Based on fact, fiction or superstition some of the anti-gmo protesting here may just be a desire to make sure Hawaii is not used as a big Test Lab that may be harmful to our already (cane burn) polluted air and fragile reefs/ocean.

I still find it odd that any corp. would be against labeling because, as was pointed out earlier, so few care about or even read those labels.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I still find it odd that any corp. would be against labeling because, as was pointed out earlier, so few care about or even read those labels.
I just don't see how it is practical. Almost everything one way or another by now is GMO. Let's say I make Beef Soup. I can't imagine the difficulties it would bring to deal with the labeling.

Just label things non-GMO for those who want to pay the premium. For those manufacturers who want to deal with that.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I just don't see how it is practical. Almost everything one way or another by now is GMO. Let's say I make Beef Soup. I can't imagine the difficulties it would bring to deal with the labeling.

Just label things non-GMO for those who want to pay the premium. For those manufacturers who want to deal with that.
I agree, not at all practical at this time.
It comes down to Starbucks thinks their customers are so finicky they will buy only non-gmo yet so uninformed they will not notice their coffee shop is in court with Monsanto and Dow.

Sounds about right for Starbucks.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
If it were that simple, why would Whole Foods take 5 years to implement their voluntary labelling program? Because it isn't simple at all, and it's no secret that it's not simple or easy.

Quote:
I agree, not at all practical at this time.
It comes down to Starbucks thinks their customers are so finicky they will buy only non-gmo yet so uninformed they will not notice their coffee shop is in court with Monsanto and Dow.
Totally unfair comment!

Why pick on Starbucks when in fact probably 80% of all foods sold in all supermarkets and all restaurants today contain GMOs? They may be there in only tiny quantities... like maybe a teaspoon of canola oil per a pound of cookies... but trying to eliminate them completely (putting on hold for a minute the entirely valid question "Why even do that?") can become a very wild goose chase among ingredient purveyors to try and find a replacement.

For example, Chipotle Mexican Grill, the "Food With Integrity" chain of casual restaurants that has been reinventing the "fast food" paradigm with great success, made a commitment a while back to eliminate all GMOs from the food that Chipotle sells. I've met Chipotle founder Steve Ells, and heard him speak, and spoken personally with him. I love his food and his restaurants, and I fully respect his opinion on GMOs even though I don't agree with it.

But even Steve Ells, as committed as he is, has had a hard road to hoe trying to eliminate all GMOs from Chipotle's tortillas. Sourcing the supplies he needs regionally and locally, for freshness, it's not as simple as specifying "no GMOs" when 98% of the canola oil and soybean oil and corn oil on the market is GMO, as it has been for decades. It takes a lot of work, expensive work, to reformulate the product using non-GMO sunflower oil, for example, especially since there is no credible scientific reason for making the change. It's purely an emotional requirement that is outside normal reality and typically costs extra.

For those who want to pay extra for all that extra work chasing an unproven "hazard," I suggest a two lane ordering and checkout system for Chipotle's, for Starbucks, for McDonald's and for all the rest... Lane 1 for people who want assurance there are no GMOs in their food, or glutens, or Chinese products, or whatever is trendy right now, and who are willing to pay an extra 20%, say, for that assurance; and Lane 2 for everybody else who really doesn't think all the fuss is worth it. My guess is that the 20% Off lane will be much longer. Seriously.

But hey... free choice!

Last edited by OpenD; 12-31-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I love it when people complain about GMO but don't want to pay the real cost of producing foods naturally.
Enough people have paid more in the past for the 'organically grown' that now more and more 'certified organic foods' are more affordable but yeah I think it would be Very expensive and not practical in most cases to prove the gmo part.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 PM

68 posts, read 107,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
For those who want to pay extra for all that extra work chasing an unproven "hazard," I suggest a two lane ordering and checkout system for Chipotle's, for Starbucks, for McDonald's and for all the rest... Lane 1 for people who want assurance there are no GMOs in their food, or glutens, or Chinese products, or whatever is trendy right now, and who are willing to pay an extra 20%, say, for that assurance; and Lane 2 for everybody else who really doesn't think all the fuss is worth it. My guess is that the 20% Off lane will be much longer. Seriously.

But hey... free choice!
I predict that (should such a foolish and disasterous option be implemented), within 6 months... MAX... 95% of the people in the over-long 'shut up and eat it' queue (sp?) would be b**ch**g incessantly about the long waits due to the almost always empty "I'm willing to pay for my convictions" line... buuuut...
A clever person in a hurry might opt for the higher priced, (likely) reduced flavor aisle as a matter of expediency.... and since I'm here... my friends in th car want >insert 17 'other side' items.....
And what about drive-thru, dagnabbit?!? Am I gonna get 17 blocks before I realize I've got the GMOink Breakfast Muffin instead of the FreeRangeRabbit Morning Croisant?!?
(both come w "all the grease and cheese you feel you deserve".)

RC

Old 01-01-2015, 10:45 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
The argument that GMO is already in traces in 80 or 90% of food and therefore doesn't need labeling is such nonsense. What, now it's too late?!? The GMO labeling demand by consumers was already there when only 1-3% of GMO containing items stood on US store shelves.

Tell your kids that you missed the highway exit to Disneyland about fifty miles back. Appeal to their rationality that therefore the trip would be cancelled. It's also cheaper not to go. You WILL pay dearly.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
Quote:

NATURAL is a claim now used most often for GMO products. It has an even quicker ring with consumers than ORGANIC (which is a bit nebulous to consumers).

Along your argument the GMO corporations should not bet on the descriptor 'NATURAL' but on the scientific benefits of 'MODIFIED'. I agree, but they don't.

Look at both words and decide which one tastes better? Taste perception sells. There's the answer why the word NATURAL is being fought for by the GMO companies. The FDA is being called upon to rule what defines 'NATURAL' and huge amounts of dollars are tied to its interpretation.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
NATURAL is a claim now used most often for GMO products. It has an even quicker ring with consumers than ORGANIC (which is a bit nebulous to consumers).

Along your argument the GMO corporations should not bet on the descriptor 'NATURAL' but on the scientific benefits of 'MODIFIED'. I agree, but they don't.

Look at both words and decide which one tastes better? Taste perception sells. There's the answer why the word NATURAL is being fought for by the GMO companies. The FDA is being called upon to rule what defines 'NATURAL' and huge amounts of dollars are tied to its interpretation.
I'm not sure I follow your post.

I wasn't talking about taste.

I was just saying that natural food isn't as good for you as modified food (not taste - I mean health). Personal Opinion. I just don't see how food not modified can be as good as you food not modified. Again, personal opinion. Modified food just seems far more healthier to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: