Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Please Jonah k and Jung, both of you guys are older generation locals, who were taught Eddie Aikau philosophy and were exposed to the last bit of old hawaii like myself. You guys more so because you stayed on island. Its you guys that need to be speaking up and talk about the spirit of Eddie Aikau and other older generation legands and teaching it by talkstory. I have the most respect for both of you and your experience, knowledge of history which in my opinion far exceeds mine in alot of areas.

Please share your wisdom, don't leave it up to your younger brothers all the time.
If folks refrain from attacking each other over petty stuff, I might feel more inclined to share my memories about Eddie.

Unlike some of the other members of the Aikau ʻohana, Eddie wasn't exactly the most physically imposing person or the most talkative. And, I donʻt think he was sophisticated enough to have a "philosophy" -- he simply loved his 'ohana, the ocean, and surfing. He didn't know that much about the Hawaiian language or culture, had a haole wife, and was trying to get in touch with his roots by getting involved with the Polynesian Voyaging Society and the Hōkūleʻa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM

48 posts, read 61,963 times
I think its sort of sad this thread has lost the spirit of a remarkable life, a big wave surfer, pioneering lifeguard and all around waterman. Ultimately he gave his life doing what he loved and trying to help others. We all should be so stoic to end that way.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:37 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If folks refrain from attacking each other over petty stuff, I might feel more inclined to share my memories about Eddie.

Unlike some of the other members of the Aikau ʻohana, Eddie wasn't exactly the most physically imposing person or the most talkative. And, I donʻt think he was sophisticated enough to have a "philosophy" -- he simply loved his 'ohana, the ocean, and surfing. He didn't know that much about the Hawaiian language or culture, had a haole wife, and was trying to get in touch with his roots by getting involved with the Polynesian Voyaging Society and the Hōkūleʻa.
But his philosophy was the way he lived his life, he without education or sophistication lived the positive virtues of the Hawai'ian culture. Without effort it was part of him spiritually. He on a daily bases practiced sacrifice of ones self to save others as a lifeguard with aloha and without pay. He was looked upon as a community leader, one with elders wisdom

Pg 1/2

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 11-20-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
HBH,

PLEASE, just leave it alone.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:49 PM

Pg 2/2

and he made the ultimate sacrifice like the Koa to save others lives. This is part of the island uhane(spirit). Love for culture, aina, ohana and community without effort, much like a man who breaths and walks without thinking. This is the ideal place of spiritualality.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
HBH,

PLEASE, just leave it alone.
I will respect you and wont proceed, but i don't understand why these things have to be kapu or ridiculed on here jung by alot of people?

Old 11-20-2014, 03:40 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Please stay on topic, or this thread will be closed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-20-2014, 03:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But his philosophy was the way he lived his life, he without education or sophistication lived the positive virtues of the Hawai'ian culture. Without effort it was part of him spiritually. He on a daily bases practiced sacrifice of ones self to save others as a lifeguard with aloha and without pay. He was looked upon as a community leader, one with elders wisdom

and he made the ultimate sacrifice like the Koa to save others lives. This is part of the island uhane(spirit). Love for culture, aina, ohana and community without effort, much like a man who breaths and walks without thinking. This is the ideal place of spiritualality.
"Elder's wisdom?" Eddie was just 31 and still trying to "find himself" when he was lost trying to save the crew of the Hōkūleʻa. My oldest brother and Eddie were both born in 1946 and they hung out together when they were growing up. In the 36 years since his tragic disappearance, Eddie's been "lionized" in various articles, books, and movies. However, some folks remember that Eddie was simply a good friend and human being. Nothing more, nothing less. And, he probably would've been somewhat embarrassed over all of the fuss being made about him, considering that he failed in his attempt to rescue his fellow Hōkūleʻa crew members.

I no longer feel inclined to share any more thoughts and insights about Eddie Aikau in this particular thread.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM

48 posts, read 61,963 times
Jonah, Mahalo for your input

Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
I admittedly only knew some of the more basic details about Eddie Aikau. But because of this thread and an an interest in Hawaii, her history and people, I decided to watch "Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau" this evening.

I found it very interesting and compelling with a lot of great old film footage of Eddie, the Hōkūleʻa, and many others who were involved with Eddie and the North Shore surfing scene.

It is on Netflix and well worth watching, if anyone else is interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii