Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Victim isn't a great choice of words but if you jump on a plane 7 months pregnant you should be accountable for your actions.
I swear, I am going to organize a remedial reading class for the members of this forum. The very first line of the article states she was 6 months pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
She shouldn't have been on a plane, period. Most doctors say don't push it; that's the issue here.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I swear, I am going to organize a remedial reading class for the members of this forum. The very first line of the article states she was 6 months pregnant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

In point of fact I am revered for my wisdom by people who actually know me, and I am loved by many.
Oh revered and loved one - as we all on city data take our deepest bows to one of such humility and aloha. One should be accountable for actions when flying 6 months pregnant. Happy?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:08 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Oh revered and loved one - as we all on city data take our deepest bows to one of such humility and aloha. One should be accountable for actions when flying 6 months pregnant. Happy?
People like them rarely are, when it comes to pointing out another's faults.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:04 PM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
Hate to break up the party, but I don't think she's ever going to pay that bill, so taxpayers get your contributions ready. I hope mother and baby are doing well.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Setting aside your usual and accustomed and completely gratuitous ridicule... Why not consult the facts, and discuss what the experts say, instead of perpetuating the misinformation that others posted?

This woman was not an invalid or disabled in any way, it was not a high risk pregnancy, and her doctor approved her travel. Generally flying is only ruled out completely after 36 weeks, i.e., during the last month of pregnancy.

Here's what Mayo Clinic has to say about women flying during pregnancy...

Quote:
If your health care provider approves air travel and you have flexibility in your travel plans, the best time to fly might be in the middle of your pregnancy — about weeks 14 to 28. This is when you're likely to feel your best, and the risks of miscarriage and premature labor are the lowest.

Air travel during pregnancy: Is it safe? - Mayo Clinic
In other words, she was merely at the end of the BEST time for her to fly, not in any danger zone.

And besides, there's no indication that flying had anything to do with her premature birth. It's just something that happens sometimes, and it's not terribly clear why it happens. Fortunately it is a rare occurrence. Unfortunately for her and her husband the insurance coverage they thought they were buying, to cover unusual circumstances, has refused payment, and they're facing bankruptcy as a result. If not for that, this wouldn't have been in the news the other day, because the child is already a year old.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
The issue and question i would ask is why is the insurance backing out of payment? Bladder Infection early in the pregnancy? Hmmm sounds really weak to me. I believe the issue and topic of the thread is the cost of health insurance and the denied insurance claim and not the morality of flying in late pregnancy etc, but i could be wrong.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:38 AM

63 posts, read 73,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The issue and question i would ask is why is the insurance backing out of payment? Bladder Infection early in the pregnancy? Hmmm sounds really weak to me. I believe the issue and topic of the thread is the cost of health insurance and the denied insurance claim and not the morality of flying in late pregnancy etc, but i could be wrong.
You are right HBH. Insurance companies are notorious for using the slightest issue to refuse payment. It's not uncommon. The insurers are like conmen on the phone, they sound friendly whilst asking questions, but in reality something you say may be used as the way to deny a claim. Insurance is a big business.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:26 AM

189 posts, read 260,585 times
She was a victim of the health insurance scam. It is as simple as that. Traveling 6 months pregnant definately not a good idea but that is not an excuse for the insurer's behavior. It usually takes 9 months to deliver. Don't worry, one day your time will come when you will lose all you have to them and will be faced with the choice to pay or leave the country, i will go with the later. This storie is nothing new. You guys love stats, how about you dig up the one showing the bankruptcy reasons by percentage just to see where health care stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: