Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:46 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times

Advertisements

Eh, den you have some who find race in everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEazFUrOr7s

Lmao dis funny. Its about attitude. Not race.

@Jonah K, Jungjohann

Heres classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2YLvGGtwY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 12:50 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,628,418 times
OP... I think I've contributed everything useful that I could contribute to this topic... I can see where it is heading at this point and it's not particularly productive. Hope I was of help, good luck with your move you should have fun.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:52 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
...western culture respects youth over elders or age(think about how we treat our elders).
That's not how I was taught to be or anyone that I know. Where I live most everyone is very kind and respectful of the elderly. Both my nieces go and read to the elderly at the retirement center near them. They also take along treats and sometimes even bring their pets. They don't have to. They aren't related to anyone there. They just do it out of respect for those that came before them. They are not alone either. Many of their friends do the same thing and other such things.

It's funny, you and I only live about 45 miles apart and yet the two places sound so different.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
That's not how I was taught to be or anyone that I know. Where I live most everyone is very kind and respectful of the elderly. Both my nieces go and read to the elderly at the retirement center near them. They also take along treats and sometimes even bring their pets. They don't have to. They aren't related to anyone there. They just do it out of respect for those that came before them. They are not alone either. Many of their friends do the same thing and other such things.

It's funny, you and I only live about 45 miles apart and yet the two places sound so different.
See an example is "retirement centers" etc or we ship off our elders. Where extended family type cultures would keep tutu in household and not ship them away and people look forward to old age for wisdom more then retirement.

Today i was walking to get some coffee at a local coffee place, i saw this old lady named alice she must be at least 90 with a walker begging for money. In our richest country.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:

Today i was walking to get some coffee at a local coffee place, i saw this old lady named alice she must be at least 90 with a walker begging for money. In our richest country.
I think you have the United States confused with other countries - Economics 101

The US National Debt is about $18 Trillion - or about $56,000 per person. Doesn't sound very rich to me.

U.S. National Debt Clock

By itself - the US has about 1/3 of the World Debt.

Or - how about per capita income -

Qatar has per capita income over $100,000, so does Luxembourg, Norway, Monaco

The US - a little over $50,000

Old 12-04-2014, 05:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Quote:
See an example is "retirement centers" etc or we ship off our elders. Where extended family type cultures would keep tutu in household and not ship them away and people look forward to old age for wisdom more then retirement.
Maybe in some cases but not all. Many seniors today want to remain independent for as long as they possibly can. Both my sister and myself have asked our Grandma many times to come live with either of us. She warmly says no thank you because she would rather remain in her apartment where she still has her independence. We didn't put her there. She sold her house and chose to move there. My wife's grandma is the exact same way. They both came from a very hard working generation and they enjoy having their independence.

Last edited by McFrostyJ; 12-04-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Maybe in some cases but not all. Many seniors today want to remain independent for as long as they possibly can. Both my sister and myself have asked our Grandma many times to come live with either of us. She warmly says no thank you because she would rather remain in her apartment where she still has her independence. We didn't put her there. She sold her house and chose to move there. My wife's grandma is the exact same way. They both came from a very hard working generation and they enjoy having their independence.
But that isn't a traditional cultural value that is observed by every culture. I didn't know if your aware but Hawaii almost has 10% of its population living in ohana housing or three generations or more living under one roof (almost 1 in every 10 person). Further as a suggestion you may want to look up Cultural Pluralism vs Cultural Assimilation. True equality is in cultural pluralism. Aloha McfrostyJ and mahalo for the oppertunity to share.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
I didn't know if your aware but Hawaii almost has 10% of its population living in ohana housing or three generations or more living under one roof (almost 1 in every 10 person).
That isn't a Hawaii "cultural" thing - it is common in any US State with large numbers of new immigrants.

California has over 8%, Texas over 7%

Take states with very few immigrants -

North Dakota, under 2% - Vermont, under 3%

Old 12-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That isn't a Hawaii "cultural" thing - it is common in any US State with large numbers of new immigrants.

California has over 8%, Texas over 7%

Take states with very few immigrants -

North Dakota, under 2% - Vermont, under 3%
Extended Family is a traditional cultural value for asian and native cultures vs Nuclear Family which is born and bred out of western, european cultures and is a traditional cultural value in western, european cultures. It is a Hawaii cultural value because a big influence on local culture is the Asian and native hawaiian cultures. Thou i would have to agree in places like Kailua where cultural assimilation and gentrafication has become dominant, i can understand and see your point of view too.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:45 PM
hln

14 posts, read 29,864 times
Interprete: Don't be like shyguylh's post. That captures everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii