Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Extended Family is a traditional cultural value for asian and native cultures vs Nuclear Family which is born and bred out of western, european cultures and is a traditional cultural value in western, european cultures. It is a Hawaii cultural value because a big influence on local culture is the Asian and native hawaiian cultures. Thou i would have to agree in places like Kailua where cultural assimilation and gentrafication has become dominant, i can understand and see your point of view too.
Ah, you mean Kailua whose percentage of Native Hawaiians at over 20% is one of the highest in Hawaii. Of course, you haven't been to Hawaii in 40 years since you were a little kid - but you seen to be an expert on Kailua.

You clearly didn't read what I said - any US state with a high number of new immigrants will have a large percentage of multi-generational households - for instance, states like California and Texas with large numbers of new Hispanics. It isn't a Hawaii thing - it is an immigrant thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,731,375 times
OMG. It seems that we're back to hijacking threads again. UH grad gave the best answers to the OP's question. Luckily he had a chance to do before the thread deteriorated. Is it possible to get back to the original question?

Old 12-05-2014, 02:09 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,597,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OMG. It seems that we're back to hijacking threads again. UH grad gave the best answers to the OP's question. Luckily he had a chance to do before the thread deteriorated. Is it possible to get back to the original question?
Yes it is! I'm fairly convinced, that in the long run, and depending upon ones specific location, the overall effects of rampant cannibalism will be somewhat offset in the short term by an uptick in the number of disappearances suffered by opihi pickers on the northern shores of all the Islands that have more than three vowels in their names. Only further research will settle this rather potent, and long standing, dilemma.

Did the cannibals get the opihi pickers, or was it the lovable little limpets who are to blame?

Hope this,,, uuuurrrrppp, scuze me, helps

Old 12-05-2014, 06:56 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,630,471 times
Quote:
Extended Family is a traditional cultural value for asian and native cultures vs Nuclear Family which is born and bred out of western, european cultures and is a traditional cultural value in western, european cultures. It is a Hawaii cultural value because a big influence on local culture is the Asian and native hawaiian cultures. Thou i would have to agree in places like Kailua where cultural assimilation and gentrafication has become dominant, i can understand and see your point of view too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ah, you mean Kailua whose percentage of Native Hawaiians at over 20% is one of the highest in Hawaii. Of course, you haven't been to Hawaii in 40 years since you were a little kid - but you seen to be an expert on Kailua.

You clearly didn't read what I said - any US state with a high number of new immigrants will have a large percentage of multi-generational households - for instance, states like California and Texas with large numbers of new Hispanics. It isn't a Hawaii thing - it is an immigrant thing.
According to PBS there are multiple factors that contribute to high rates of multi-generational housing arrangements (aside from culture) and they are all pretty common in Hawaii. Immigration is definitely one of them. The others are mostly economic. They based their article on information from Generations United which studies these sorts of things and advocates for inter-generational collaboration.

American Family . Your Families. The Generation Gap | PBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBS

Factors that Account for Increase in Numbers of Multigenerational Families
Common factors include:
  • Families that live where there are housing shortages
  • High housing costs
  • High cost of living
  • Areas with a large number of unwed mothers living with parents
  • Recent immigrants that move in with family
  • Growing numbers of older adults living longer -- increasing the need for family caregiving and the possibility of multigenerational
  • Increasing numbers of grandparents and other relatives raising children due to: death of a parent, child abuse and/or neglect, abandonment by parent, HIV/AIDS, incarceration, mental health problems, family violence, poverty
Lets see if Hawaii has any of these issues...

housing shortage... check State Economic Report Identifies Need for More Housing in Hawaii | Hawaii Reporter
high housing costs... check 10 most expensive housing markets - Honolulu (1) - CNNMoney
high cost of living... check Cost of Living in Hawaii Continues to Rise 20 Years After 'Price of Paradise'
lots of unwed mothers living at home... check Births to unwed mothers jump | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper
lots of recent immigrants... check 15 states with the highest share of immigrants in their population | Pew Research Center
adults living longer... check List of U.S. states by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
grandparents raising children due to socioeconomic factors... check Ohana Caregivers

Of course there is always a cultural component, but I think it is disingenuous to think that if all of the people from Hawaii moved to Tampa there would be nearly as many multi-generational households. There are strong economic factors working in Hawaii that make these arrangements beneficial as well.

To the OP, this is exactly what I am talking about though... local culture is better... not saying it is unique to Hawaii, not saying other places don't do it, not saying it isn't probably true in some cases... just saying you will have to hear it a lot and it can get annoying if you let it. When dealing with people I had to stop getting defensive and start sharing examples of how we did similar things back home... it was better to highlight commonality than focus on contrast.

Last edited by UHgrad; 12-05-2014 at 07:05 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 07:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,792,714 times
@UHgrad

Your quote: To the OP, this is exactly what I am talking about though... local culture is better... not saying it is unique to Hawaii, not saying other places don't do it, not saying it isn't probably true in some cases... just saying you will have to hear it a lot and it can get annoying if you let it. When dealing with people I had to stop getting defensive and start sharing examples of how we did similar things back home... it was better to highlight commonality than focus on contrast. End quote:

OP, This is a prime example of a cultural assimilatest stance and thinking. It reminds me of the picture of the greedy lil boy who holds 90% of the marbles, its not enough that he has 90% of all the marbles but wants your 10% too. If you read hawaii history or experienced local hawaii just even 20, 30 or 40 years ago you could say life on the islands was like living in a foreign country compared to the mainland and this was really a great population growth safeguard. Thru the years things changed

Pg 1

Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 AM

@UHgrad and OP,

developers became more focused on bringing in big money or richer money to the islands and thus displacing the traditional local who was middle and lower class in the past. Thus the beginning of the gentrification of the islands and cultural assimilation making it appear and be more like the outside world to get the richer money interested. Also if you read or experience old hawaii you will know that tensions between races was never about race but class and the attitudes associated to it (UHgrad was right the generalization of rich mainland transplant was and is prominent on the islands today but its based on experience) But back to my point. Its not enough that we have replaced old unique hawaii and her cultural with mainland big business and stuff you see in every mainland city to made life easier for rich transplants to transition and bring in the rich tourist money, but the cultural assimilist will try to convince you that no unique culture existed or that Hawaii culture

Pg 2

Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
@UHgrad

OP, This is a prime example of a cultural assimilatest stance and thinking. It reminds me of the picture of the greedy lil boy who holds 90% of the marbles, its not enough that he has 90% of all the marbles but wants your 10% too. If you read hawaii history or experienced local hawaii just even 20, 30 or 40 years ago you could say life on the islands was like living in a foreign country compared to the mainland and this was really a great population growth safeguard. Thru the years things changed

Pg 1
I think you are creating a straw man argument here and your analogy is not even relevant. What is the greedy boy and the marbles supposed to represent relative to my comments? A cultural assimalist stance would imply that I want everyone in Hawaii to start acting like they are from somewhere else, I said nothing of the sort. If anything this thread is about folks from the "mainland" adapting to the culture of Hawaii and what I said is that a lot of local people (in my experience) feel the need to tell you that local is better and it gets annoying.. just like southern people get tired of condescending New England folks or vice versa. As an outsider hearing that, the instinct is to get defensive... and I recommend not getting defensive but instead finding common ground that you can share and show how you have the same values but maybe express them in a different way.

Also, the way you post quotes is not very clear. It is much easier to just hit the quote button and delete the text you want to get rid of rather than type "your quote:" and repeat what I said in the same text as your response. You are free to do whatever you want of course, but it is a suggestion.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
@UHgrad and OP,

developers became more focused on bringing in big money or richer money to the islands and thus displacing the traditional local who was middle and lower class in the past. Thus the beginning of the gentrification of the islands and cultural assimilation making it appear and be more like the outside world to get the richer money interested. Also if you read or experience old hawaii you will know that tensions between races was never about race but class and the attitudes associated to it (UHgrad was right the generalization of rich mainland transplant was and is prominent on the islands today but its based on experience) But back to my point. Its not enough that we have replaced old unique hawaii and her cultural with mainland big business and stuff you see in every mainland city to made life easier for rich transplants to transition and bring in the rich tourist money, but the cultural assimilist will try to convince you that no unique culture existed or that Hawaii culture

Pg 2
No place stays the same. These issues are happening everywhere as the world becomes more connected. Who do you define as a traditional local? Is taking off your shoes or bringing home Omiyage (a Japanese influence) cultural assimilation? Or are you just picking "mainland" things and characterizing them as such?

Because last time I checked people of Japanese descent had the highest incomes in the islands and run most of the businesses. People of Chinese descent also have higher than median incomes. White families make about the median as well but are in no way some kind of ruling class of rich white "mainland" people that are running the show.

Which Ethnic Group Makes the Most Money? | Hawaii Business Magazine

Jonathan Okamura studied this in great detail in his book. It is worth a read.

http://www.amazon.com/Ethnicity-Ineq.../dp/1592137563

Last edited by UHgrad; 12-05-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 08:54 AM

@UHgrad and OP

Is make believe, instead of something intentionally planned out. The Cultural Assimilationist will instead of admitting it is planned will instead say "well the real blame is the internet or cheaper airfares" or "everybody is experiencing gentrafication etc etc" or if its was really good it wouldn't be gone". Anything and everything to make the unique not unique. As i mentioned at the start of page one, its not enough to some mainland transplants that the continental unitted states has 49 states with dominant mainland culture and walmarts per sa that they love but like the greedy child who has 90% of all the marbles he has to have yours too. But they have to take the one unique state and make it like the rest too, because don't you know "Hawaii is part of the U.S".

Pg 3

Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
@UHgrad and OP

Is make believe, instead of something intentionally planned out. The Cultural Assimilationist will instead of admitting it is planned will instead say "well the real blame is the internet or cheaper airfares" or "everybody is experiencing gentrafication etc etc" or if its was really good it wouldn't be gone". Anything and everything to make the unique not unique. As i mentioned at the start of page one, its not enough to some mainland transplants that the continental unitted states has 49 states with dominant mainland culture and walmarts per sa that they love but like the greedy child who has 90% of all the marbles he has to have yours too. But they have to take the one unique state and make it like the rest too, because don't you know "Hawaii is part of the U.S".

Pg 3
We'll have to just agree to disagree, you aren't even commenting on what I have said at this point even though you are saying @UHgrad. You had a point you wanted to make, you made it, the OP can read it and take it into consideration. I made my contribution and am comfortable leaving it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii