Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 03:17 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,337,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
If you are in line to get on the bus, it's not he Hawaiians who jump in front of the line. It's the little asian women who act like they cannot hear you when you protest. Aside from assaulting her physically to make her hear you, the energy to call her out is not worth it. And I'm sure not going to hit anyone over something like that.

The actual Hawaiians are generally super nice, and cool people.
Most likely transplants from Mainland China and Korea. The older generation in those two countries consistently cut in lines.

Youd most likely never see it from Filpinos or Japaneses though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:19 AM

8 posts, read 24,651 times
Thank you all for your input. After leaving this thread for some time, I was surprised to see so many pages!

From your comments, it looks like I shouldn't have any issue adapting. I'm well-travelled and grew up abroad myself, so I'm very sensitive to and respectful of cultural differences. My only concern was being the victim of racist attitudes and not being treated on an equal footing simply for being from somewhere else, even if I'm friendly and quiet with no specific 'attitude'. I'm glad it doesn't look like it would be the case.

Thanks again to everyone.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 PM

140 posts, read 189,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interprete View Post
From your comments, it looks like I shouldn't have any issue adapting. I'm well-travelled and grew up abroad myself, so I'm very sensitive to and respectful of cultural differences. My only concern was being the victim of racist attitudes and not being treated on an equal footing simply for being from somewhere else, even if I'm friendly and quiet with no specific 'attitude'. I'm glad it doesn't look like it would be the case.
In my own reading about the subject that's what I've gotten out of it. I've never forgotten an incident I observed years ago that was really funny, I was on a plane that had arrived in Europe and observed this exchange between an European woman and an American guy who could not grasp that he could not pay with his American money:

American Man: But what about cash?
European Woman: Euros

American Man: OK, but what about dollars?
European Woman: Euros

American Man: I don't think you understand, I have dollars!
European Woman: throws her hands up in exasperation and pulls a Euro out of her wallet, points at it and says "NO DOLLARS HERE, EUROS!"

A lot of American's tend to grow up with very little exposure to other cultures and countries, and on top of it hear from the day they are born that "we are the greatest". I don't mean to be political with that statement it's just a fact. So we often don't have a very good understanding of other cultures and think everyone else should be like us. Hence the guy above that simply could not grasp that another country would not accept his "dollars".

Now imagine that type of guy visiting Hawaii which has their own culture and you can probably imagine what a lot of the stories are about. No doubt there is also some real racism, but I suspect that a person who is respectful and wants to learn about the culture will do just fine. And if we whites do experience a little racism, well, welcome to the party, it'll probably be nothing compared to what some other minorities face.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post

A lot of American's tend to grow up with very little exposure to other cultures and countries, and on top of it hear from the day they are born that "we are the greatest". I don't mean to be political with that statement it's just a fact. So we often don't have a very good understanding of other cultures and think everyone else should be like us. Hence the guy above that simply could not grasp that another country would not accept his "dollars".

Now imagine that type of guy visiting Hawaii which has their own culture and you can probably imagine what a lot of the stories are about. No doubt there is also some real racism, but I suspect that a person who is respectful and wants to learn about the culture will do just fine. And if we whites do experience a little racism, well, welcome to the party, it'll probably be nothing compared to what some other minorities face.
Have you actually been to Hawaii? It is part of the United States. Whites experiencing racism? Huh? I always wonder where this stuff comes from.

The only racism you will experience in Hawaii is on this forum - generally from people who don't even live in Hawaii.

We also take dollars.

Last edited by whtviper1; 12-18-2014 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM

Personally I'm a whole heck of a lot less concerned about encountering racism than I am about encountering unhappy people that try to fill their unhappiness by taking pot shots at others. You'll find them in all cultures and especially on the Internet, even on the best of them such as here where most are really friendly.

The key is to stay away from those type of people and luckily Internet forums have this awesome called "Ignore" where the moment you observe that type of person, BAM, you never have to waste a moment on their posts again.

I refer to no one in particular.
Attached Thumbnails
"Moving to Hawaii requires acceptance and open-mindedness". What does this mean exactly?-ignore.jpg  

Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 PM

749 posts, read 857,535 times
Quote:
Personally I'm a whole heck of a lot less concerned about encountering racism than I am about encountering unhappy people that try to fill their unhappiness by taking pot shots at others. You'll find them inon the all cultures and especially on the Internet, even best of them such as here where most are really friendly.

The key is to stay away from those type of people and luckily Internet forums have this awesome called "Ignore" where the moment you observe that type of person, BAM, you never have to waste a moment on their posts again.

I refer to no one in particular.
How long have you been online? The Best????LOL!!! Whatev,

Last edited by tdr22; 12-18-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
How long have you been online? The Best????LOL!!! Whatev,
It's called being polite . If this forum is like most it depends on which forum you are in and what's being discussed. If you are into electronics and were on forums years ago during the Blu Ray versus HD DVD period, people on forums took that s**t more seriously than gun arguments .

Most of the discussions I've read in the Hawaii forums have been very friendly.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,660,536 times
Boatloads of money & an Obama state of mind

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,792,714 times
Quote:
It's called being polite . If this forum is like most it depends on which forum you are in and what's being discussed. If you are into electronics and were on forums years ago during the Blu Ray versus HD DVD period, people on forums took that s**t more seriously than gun arguments .

Most of the discussions I've read in the Hawaii forums have been very friendly.
Well since no one has done it yet. Aloha and welcome to CDF Hawai'i.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Well since no one has done it yet. Aloha and welcome to CDF Hawai'i.
Mahalo! Hopefully I did that right, I'm just starting to learn .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii