Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post
Mahalo! Hopefully I did that right, I'm just starting to learn .
Perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The only racism you will experience in Hawaii is on this forum - generally from people who don't even live in Hawaii.

We also take dollars.
I hear all kinds of racist remarks about Caucasians, but maybe because I'm of the tinted variety.

I'm really perplexed that you haven't noticed to it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2014, 05:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I hear all kinds of racist remarks about Caucasians, but maybe because I'm of the tinted variety.

I'm really perplexed that you haven't noticed to it.
Nope. Never. Lived here 6 years worked here 10 years before that.

I'm as perplexed when people say they've experienced it although I don't hang out with crowds or areas I would expect that behavior and most racists are cowards and probably just gutless to say it to me directly.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 PM

48,626 posts, read 35,086,908 times
LOL. Yeah. My FIL (from my late husband) was horrible at bad mouthing those of the pale persuasion, and anyone from outside of Hawaii. You NEVER would have known it when socializing or working with him. My current husband experienced it as a young adult living on North Shore, and my sister got it in elementary school.

I think to say we don't have racism is very misleading, though we are equal opportunity about it, and it doesn't really have the edge of hate that I feel is on the mainland. I like that we can joke about the stereotypes right up front and not behind the backs of others. I think the edge is further dulled by the fact that we have a tendency to dip into and integrate all the cultures here. For example my Hawaiian/Portugese (sp)/Chinese part of the family "celebrating" Yakudoshi and fireworks on New Year's.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-27-2014, 08:15 PM

834 posts, read 1,222,960 times
Where does racism start? The lines are not clearly separated and who is to tell someone of a different race to be less sensitive? Social stereotyping will never go away though, as i.e. profiling is needed in police work. Or with young mothers perceiving a lone male on a playground as potential danger for their child, though it could be a single dad. Their occasional glances or whispered comments he will be very used to. So is the male Arab teen sitting with his backpack on an urban subway. The woman walking in a park will notice right away if a male (and his race) is following her or if it's just a female (race is of less concern) walking in the same direction.

People flock to their own kind: Age groups, sexual preferences, social classes, fashions, races, nationalities, dialects, professions, political views, hobbies, etc. Without that we would not have diversity. Yet with diversity comes controversy.

Hawaii is only slightly different. In a way it messes with the US mainland stereotypes (HI has many more multi racial people, few African Americans and Hispanics, fewer Jews, fewer whites, many more Asians with huge cultural differences amongst them, plus those elusive native Hawaiians). IMHO I see visitors leaving with more racial awareness. Longtime residents however, regardless of race, seem to entrench themselves more but learn to be careful in public.

That's the same in the so called melting pots of NYC, SF, DC, or LA. Unlike at the company picnic where one has a lot of different ethnicities, sexual orientations, nationalities, and ages around (the common bond is money), it doesn't really happen as much in ones own circles. I see larger problems coming up in the future because of unemployment and more retired people--one loses social work contact to different ethnicities and stays more in the neighborhood. Which is dominated by your own kine and creates then an US versus THEM mentality. This is true for the gated retirement community as for the affordable housing project.

Being non-racist is an acquired and learned behavior and has to be trained and freshened up at all times. One can't get certified as a non racist. We have therefore to be a bit tolerant when one slips in our presence or public. Not to put somebody on the spot, force out of a job the job or office when it happens. Accept apologies. And just try to be better the next time around.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:58 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,838,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Where does racism start? The lines are not clearly separated and who is to tell someone of a different race to be less sensitive? Social stereotyping will never go away though, as i.e. profiling is needed in police work. Or with young mothers perceiving a lone male on a playground as potential danger for their child, though it could be a single dad. Their occasional glances or whispered comments he will be very used to. So is the male Arab teen sitting with his backpack on an urban subway. The woman walking in a park will notice right away if a male (and his race) is following her or if it's just a female (race is of less concern) walking in the same direction.

People flock to their own kind: Age groups, sexual preferences, social classes, fashions, races, nationalities, dialects, professions, political views, hobbies, etc. Without that we would not have diversity. Yet with diversity comes controversy.

Hawaii is only slightly different. In a way it messes with the US mainland stereotypes (HI has many more multi racial people, few African Americans and Hispanics, fewer Jews, fewer whites, many more Asians with huge cultural differences amongst them, plus those elusive native Hawaiians). IMHO I see visitors leaving with more racial awareness. Longtime residents however, regardless of race, seem to entrench themselves more but learn to be careful in public.

That's the same in the so called melting pots of NYC, SF, DC, or LA. Unlike at the company picnic where one has a lot of different ethnicities, sexual orientations, nationalities, and ages around (the common bond is money), it doesn't really happen as much in ones own circles. I see larger problems coming up in the future because of unemployment and more retired people--one loses social work contact to different ethnicities and stays more in the neighborhood. Which is dominated by your own kine and creates then an US versus THEM mentality. This is true for the gated retirement community as for the affordable housing project.

Being non-racist is an acquired and learned behavior and has to be trained and freshened up at all times. One can't get certified as a non racist. We have therefore to be a bit tolerant when one slips in our presence or public. Not to put somebody on the spot, force out of a job the job or office when it happens. Accept apologies. And just try to be better the next time around.
What a great post. I've lived on Oahu and found it delightfully tolerant for the most part. Usually, I found that us newly arrived Mainlanders were primarily the culprit of intolerance. They were/are easily avoided, especially if you are social and make friends with locals.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,356,844 times
It basically means that you will have to put up w/ some people disliking you just because of where you are from or due to the color of your skin. If you're OK w/ that.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii