Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:01 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
OP you have to try the saimin shops in Hawaii. Hawaii is know for there ono ssaimin.

When i lived in Oahu Wo Fat's restaurant at the corner of Hotel and Maunakea streets had really ono Chow mein, too bad its gone. But there are other places that are still open and serve great food.

Ono Hawaiian Foods(traditional hawaiian foods) that mcfrostyj said.
Try chili rice bowl at chunky's drive inn or chili rice bowl from Zippys both awsome.
Speaking of saimin...There used to be a saimin shop right here on the end next to Nagasako General Store in Lahaina that was both good and cheap. (my kind of place ) Sorry I can't recall the name. Anyone know if its still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Speaking of saimin...There used to be a saimin shop right here on the end next to Nagasako General Store in Lahaina that was both good and cheap. (my kind of place ) Sorry I can't recall the name. Anyone know if its still there?
Are you talking about Nagasako Okazu-Ya Deli?

Old 01-18-2015, 04:02 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The nightly news has a segment called "Cheap Eats" and they always showcase a local eatery, I don't know if they've made a list or not, though.
Although they didn't exactly compile a list, they did provide links to videos of the segments…
Cheap Eats - KFVE, K5-Hawaii News, Weather and Sports

Old 01-18-2015, 04:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Are you talking about Nagasako Okazu-Ya Deli?
No. Maybe House of Saimin? Did you click the link? It was in the last shop on the end. (behind the budweiser truck in the photo)

Click here

Old 01-18-2015, 05:15 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Not sure how many feel the same way but I've never really found Yelp accurate as to whether I'd like the food or not. It can give me an idea of what kind of food is served and the atmosphere and pricing but being that tastes are so subjective, I stopped relying on Yelp as a barometer of how good the food will actually taste. Some of the best restaurants I've been to have been ones I just randomly decided to eat at. It's really hit or miss, even with Yelp. To me I only look forward to actually returning to about 5% of restaurants I eat at. Most restaurants are nothing special to me. To the OP I'd suggest maybe Tripadvisor or Yelp for a couple local restaurants but for the rest of the time just take your chances and explore on your own. If it looks like the type of cuisine you'd like to try, go for it. Now a couple of my favorite restaurants in Hawaii are Palazzo (best bread and it's unlimited) located in Aiea and Cafe Taj Mahal on Waialae Ave. Maybe not exactly "local" restaurants but those serve the best food according to me.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
I wouldn't call it my "favorite restaurant in Hawaii", but "The Pig and The Lady" opened a nice restaurant in China Town and I've had some good meals there. Crowd is a mix of local and tourist. But it's definately local owned and operated. It's a local family business that started out by selling food at farmers markets. The farmer market food is mostly Vietnamese but the restaurant is more fusion menu. But you're not going to get a plate lunch there if that's what you're looking for.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Not sure how many feel the same way but I've never really found Yelp accurate as to whether I'd like the food or not. It can give me an idea of what kind of food is served and the atmosphere and pricing but being that tastes are so subjective, I stopped relying on Yelp as a barometer of how good the food will actually taste. Some of the best restaurants I've been to have been ones I just randomly decided to eat at. It's really hit or miss, even with Yelp.
For me, I find Yelp to be accurate just about 100% of the time - it has a very active community in Hawaii. For me, the top reviewed places are always spot on and the 1 and 2 star places get those ratings deservedly so. The middle ground is the 3 star places. For me 6-7 people chiming in on CD doesn't replace Yelp reviews with literally hundreds of reviews.

Not only is Yelp great for food in Hawaii but a lot of other things. Need lawn service? Safety check? Repairs? Yelp it.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:49 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
For me, I find Yelp to be accurate just about 100% of the time - it has a very active community in Hawaii. For me, the top reviewed places are always spot on and the 1 and 2 star places get those ratings deservedly so. The middle ground is the 3 star places. For me 6-7 people chiming in on CD doesn't replace Yelp reviews with literally hundreds of reviews.

Not only is Yelp great for food in Hawaii but a lot of other things. Need lawn service? Safety check? Repairs? Yelp it.
I don't think I've ever been to a 1 or 2 star restaurant and if I saw it on Yelp, I'd surely avoid it but I've been to some 4 or 4 1/2 star places and came away feeling it wasn't very good. I've also been to restaurants without knowing the Yelp rating but after loving it I looked it up on Yelp and found it to only have 3 stars. I like to use Yelp to find restaurants based on type of cuisine (ex. Indian, Italian, Chinese, etc.) but just in my experience I haven't found the stars to be very accurate on how well I like the food. Maybe I just have different tastes compared to most people. I'll agree Yelp is useful for a lot of things though, like avoiding total disasters but for restaurants I've found anything above 3 stars is a toss up as to whether I'd like it. For other services like auto repairs I like to use Yelp to screen out places that get terrible reviews. I look at places that have 4 stars or more and read the reviews to come to a final decision.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
I just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for the great information provided so far, I think a lot of people are going to find this thread useful.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:47 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Gulick Deli (okazuya) is one of my favorite places. It is strictly take out and not in a neighborhood that many visitors venture into, but the food is great.

You have to get there early (sometimes 10:30 is too late!) and there is only on street parking, but once you get your food and find a nice shady park to eat in it is lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii