Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 21,754 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone will be able to answer my questions, and perhaps put my mind at ease. Kicking around the idea of living in O'ahu. The cost of living here is rising at a steady pace. From what I have read it may be more expensive to live in Hawaii. Both work in the service industry. Looking for a place to live that accomodates 2. Is there anything that we should know that may be of help now before we make a move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 23,642 times
The main thing you should be considering prior to moving here is, how much do you anticipate making? Of course, this will largely be dependent upon what industry you work in or can work in once you relocate. I have stated in other replies and I have read other responsible poster state that you need to be making at least 50K/year, but would be better off with something closer to $80K/year. At $50K/year, you will be able to afford to rent a 2 bdrm apartment and maintain an Ok standard of living, but probably will not be able to buy even a condo. Renting is really not a good option in HI over the long run, that is if you plan to stay for more than 10 years you really should consider buying. Store prices (grocery and dry good) are not necessarily more than in most places in the mainland, but gas and utilties more than make up for cost of living.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:45 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
I make 82 k a year and have a house in Mililani, 2 girls and my wife. Barely making it unless you rent. I have no car payments, but the mortgage is atrocious, half my pay. Then again, just having 2 girls isnt cheap.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:21 PM

23 posts, read 312,910 times
see my reply on Oahu vs Maui. I lived on Maui for 5 years.
No way could a fmaily make it on the service industry incomes unless you do as the locals do and work 2 jobs many hours a week. My roommates who were married moved back to the mainland because they couldn't afford to raise a family there. housing costs are out of this world. Don't be fooled. Food costs ARE higher than on the mainland. Most food is shipped or flown in. Most things cost 25% more. Florida will look cheap compared to Oahu.
My relatives live in Clearwater, Miami, Sebring, Orlando, and St. Cloud. I have spent a lot of time in Florida. Just got back in fact. Housing in many parts of Florida is reasinable. It depends on what part of Florida you live in.
Hawii is one of the most expensive places in the US to live. Income is lower and cost of living is higher than anywhere. The median house cost in Hawaii is now $600,000. Poeple pay 40-50% of their income for a mortgage.
Service industry jobs don't pay much in Hawaii. Please check it out more carefully. Schools in Hawwii are not that good. Most people send their kids to private school. The Hawaii school system is all one school district. Education is not stressed as much because for most jobs you don't need a college education. Hawaii is tourism based. Most people with families who move there leave after a short while. They can't afford it and they can't acclimate to the lifestyle and culture. It is very different than Florida. Before you move there you should visit there.
Luckily it is not as humid as Florida. Good luck but you need a large income.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:32 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by langerhan View Post
... you need to be making at least 50K/year, but would be better off with something closer to $80K/year. At $50K/year, you will be able to afford to rent a 2 bdrm apartment and maintain an Ok standard of living, but probably will not be able to buy even a condo.
+1 Agree!

Another thing I have noticed with my friends and co-workers, myself included... alot of people live paycheck to paycheck, with little or no savings. You need all your income to make it. As long as life is good and no problems arise, you can make it.

There is a saying "two paychecks away from being homeless", I think that is true for many in Hawaii.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 16,866 times
What part of FL are you in? We actually just moved from Hawaii to Florida because of the expenses and I was born/raised in HI. Buying a home in Hawaii was out of the question and the rent prices are too high for what you get. =/ Right now in FL our mortgage for our 2/2/2 home is the same as our rent in HI for a very small 1 bedroom apt (maybe 350-400 sq ft..?)

I guess it depends on where you are in FL though... I'm comparing to Hernando County. I'm sure it gets even more expensive down south.

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide to do. =)

Old 09-06-2007, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 50,519 times
Why move to oahu? I lived there for 8 months and continually heard from native hawaiians(vs 1st-2nd generation philipinos, who seem to comprise a large % of the pop.) that when they retired, they were going to the big island of Hawaii. I decided, being from (the crowded, over-run by yankees and other type foreigners) redneck, racist city of Jax,Fl.(i was born there too, so please no flamers), I would move to the big island. Though Oahu is beautiful, it is too crowded and difficult to survive, at least if you're as lazy as I am. On the big island of Hawaii, land is cheap and can be bought w/o credit and very little down and pymt's lower than rent on Oahu. Heck, you can pitch a tent, yurt,etc...the weather is the best you've evr seen. PARADISE in the good ole USA. Check-out the classifieds at westhawaiitoday.com, the local paper in Kailua Kona. I have 2 acres, one I don't need, w/ ocean and mtn. views.

Last edited by robert simmons; 09-06-2007 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: