Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:00 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,170,092 times

Advertisements

If 6ou go this route, it might be cheaper/easier to buy a van conversion on the mainland and ship it over. Get yourself a mid-90's Chevy 1500 or Ford F150 van that has been "factory" converted. I would guess if you look around you could likely get a van for 3-5k. Ship it over and you're In business.
The big plus in going that route is it will already have a small kitchen and fold flat seats/bed. Some of The larger ones even have small built in bathooms. Seems like it would be a lot easier and cheaper than converting your own. If you could buy in California, you might be able to advertise that you are looking for one that won't pass smog but otherwise runs well. You could likely scoop it up for next to nothing and you won't have to worry about smog inspection in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,954 times
I'm still curious how this poster is going to use the bathroom on a comfortable, daily basis. I never thought I'd type that sentence.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,305,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
I'm still curious how this poster is going to use the bathroom on a comfortable, daily basis. I never thought I'd type that sentence.
I'm not sure about all the islands but on Maui they have great, free public pools run by the county complete with showers, lockers and of course toilets. Of course they prefer they be used by people using the swimming pools but I never saw the lifeguards more than suggest someone swim if they were going to use them.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I'm not sure about all the islands but on Maui they have great, free public pools run by the county complete with showers, lockers and of course toilets. Of course they prefer they be used by people using the swimming pools but I never saw the lifeguards more than suggest someone swim if they were going to use them.
That actually might qualify as the grossest post I've seen on CDF since I started. To even suggest people who live illegally to use public pools used by kids is a new low.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:04 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,305,127 times
It's just a fact they do, or at least they used to until the mid 2000's when we moved. I'm not sure it would even be possible or lawful to prohibit "certain people" for using a public county run facility. Thank God for private clubs eh?

Old 02-19-2015, 04:31 PM

32,685 posts, read 48,227,692 times
I haven't had much luck finding information on camping and RV sites anywhere in Hawaii. They don't seem to exist.

I suggest that you bring your van, but cough up another $5,000 and buy a lot in Puna. If the lava gets too close, you can drive away, but in the meantime, you can put in a septic tank and water collection system and make yourself comfortable.

Let us know what price you are quoted to ship the 15 passenger van. I'm assuming that is a standard size 3/4 ton van. A bit of a low roof to be living in it.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,954 times
There are NO RV sites/hookups in HI. That's why you'll find no information on them. I've heard it's due to the "smallness" of the place, even the Big Island, and the fact that many of the Roads are not safe to drive with trailers or motor homes. Having lived in Hawaii and in an RV elsewhere, I surely wouldn't want to drive many of the roads there. The only real option would be to ship something/convert something, but then you'd need to find land to create your own hookups at, etc., because really it's not feasible or comfortable for most people to live their lives searching out various public restrooms and showers to use everyday forever for every poop you need to take.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:23 PM

941 posts, read 1,970,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
If 6ou go this route, it might be cheaper/easier to buy a van conversion on the mainland and ship it over. Get yourself a mid-90's Chevy 1500 or Ford F150 van that has been "factory" converted. I would guess if you look around you could likely get a van for 3-5k. Ship it over and you're In business.
The big plus in going that route is it will already have a small kitchen and fold flat seats/bed. Some of The larger ones even have small built in bathooms. Seems like it would be a lot easier and cheaper than converting your own. If you could buy in California, you might be able to advertise that you are looking for one that won't pass smog but otherwise runs well. You could likely scoop it up for next to nothing and you won't have to worry about smog inspection in Hawaii.
Note that any vehicle with sleeping or cooking equipment is not considered a personal vehicle and must pay the special cargo shipping rates, which is certainly more than the $1,100 for cars.

Get a Rate - Automobile Shipment - Matson

All in all, I think Hawaii wisely discourages all sorts of RVs that would clog roads and end up as illegal dwellings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii