Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,222 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving back to Maui but cannot afford the rents. My kids are locals from there but grown now. There are no RV parks or hook ups. So we are going to buy a 15 passenger Van and make it our camper and use the showers at beaches. They have a public pool in Keiki that has hot showers is all you have to do it take a swim. Then brush your teeth and ready for a day at the beach and nights of camping. I have a free pass for federal parks and 50% off camping if disable. I plan on this real soon. Letting you know that you would have no use for an RV on Maui and this the cost is much less and more space for sleeping room enough for a dog. Find yourself a nice 15 passenger van used, their about $5,000 on craigslist and make it your camper.

Last edited by jenraulerson; 02-11-2015 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: miss spelled a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 PM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
How much research have you done? I think you would need a CDL for that size, and our Federal Parks aren't really like the ones on the mainland.

I don't have any specific knowledge, but if this were feasible we would covered in people doing the same thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 PM

4,419 posts, read 4,954,196 times
A 15 passenger van generally doesn't require a CDL. http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...CDL-Manual.pdf

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenraulerson View Post
I plan on moving back to Maui but cannot afford the rents. My kids are locals from there but grown now. There are no RV parks or hook ups. So we are going to buy a 15 passenger Van and make it our camper and use the showers at beaches. They have a public pool in Keiki that has hot showers is all you have to do it take a swim. Then brush your teeth and ready for a day at the beach and nights of camping. I have a free pass for federal parks and 50% off camping if disable. I plan on this real soon. Letting you know that you would have no use for an RV on Maui and this the cost is much less and more space for sleeping room enough for a dog. Find yourself a nice 15 passenger van used, their about $5,000 on craigslist and make it your camper.
If you were actually moving 'back' to Maui you'd know how to spell 'Kihei', and you'd also realize that living in a camper on Maui, on public property, would be a short lived experience at best.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Hmm, that covers showers, but what about toilets and cooking? On Oahu there used to be one day a week where each campground was closed to discourage long term camping. I'm not sure if the same goes for Maui or not.

There's one Federal park on Maui. It has two drive up campgrounds and you're allowed three days per month per campground. So, you've got somewhere to park for six nights per month. That only leaves twenty some odd or so nights with nowhere to go.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:41 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,267,462 times
I've seen a truck camper on the back of a Toyota Tundra driving at Pearl harbor Navy base last Week.
Seen it off and on over the last eight months. I got a good look at it this time. As it was driving toward me in the other lane.
It was a Lance Camper. Went to the Lance Catalog. Looks like its a 825, that matches with a Toyota Tundra at 1,847 pounds with and Bathroom, sleeps 4 to 5. The Camper i saw, also had a surf board attached to the side of the camper.
I believe its a military person, because this was the first time in 30 years i have seen a RV
in Hawaii. It would have had to be brought in on a house hold shipment.

I would like to stop him sometime and have a chat with to see how he brought his camper to Pearl Harbor. Haven't gotten the chance yet.

That is what you want for a camper. With out any park utility outlets. You'll need a portable Generator like a Honda 2000 for lighting and battery charging, along with portable gas cans for fuel.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 AM

48,590 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
A 15 passenger van generally doesn't require a CDL. http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...CDL-Manual.pdf
16 or more people INCLUDING driver....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2015, 10:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,766,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenraulerson View Post
*They're*...sorry, couldn't resist.

Is that price IN Maui or on the mainland? I just don't envision too many 15 passenger commuter vans for sale on an island...

Old 02-13-2015, 12:00 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
I'm guessing the CDL is required if you are charging passengers. I had one of those old Akamai tour vans (think soccer mom van on steroids) and was able to drive it around with a regular driver's license. It was a van, though, not a bus. I used it as a construction truck since once the seats were removed it was huge. It was obnoxiously yellow, though, and very, very obvious where ever it went. No hiding or being low key when driving an old tour bus. I didn't keep it long since it was expensive to maintain.

At the moment there's one on Maui's Craig's List: Bus For Sale They say it requires a class 4 license to operate and it's gonna be hard to find a parking spot for that beast. They're asking $5,200 for it, so that's not too far off the OP's budget. Although it's on a converted '95 bus frame with a 350 engine so gas mileage is gonna be miserable and hard to say what sort of condition the rest of it is in.

What are the maintenance costs for a bus like that? If the OP doesn't have enough $$$ to pay rent, is there enough to support a bus like that? Bus tires are about three or four times as expensive as regular ones, plus they have a lot more of them. Ten tires at $500 apiece isn't exactly chump change.

Maybe the OP could visit Maui and rent some sort of bus and try the whole idea out for a bit first to see how feasible it is.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:12 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,355,964 times
It's possible, IF you find a private individual that won't mind you parking on their property (might sign on as an unpaid security guard?), and IF the authorities don't see this as a code violation of some sort (this could be a problem in a high tourist area like Maui), and IF you can find a proper and legal place to dispose of your human waste (you'll need to find out what sort of toilet is legally required), and IF you keep the van in running condition w/ up to date registration, tag and insurance so you can go fetch water, food, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii