Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

@hotzcatz

I was approaching this issue from a local resident renting the unit to supliment there family income etc. As a positive. But do appreciate the other points of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 02:55 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
I appreciate your perspective, HBH, but in reality I suspect that very very few of the listings on VRBO are locals renting out a unit to supplement their income. The vast majority of listings on VRBO are either condos or single family homes, and not someone sharing an ohana on their lot. So you can understand that these rentals are second homes owned by people who probably don't live in Hawaii full time. We built our house in 2005 and used it as a vacation rental until we moved in 2010, but we are on the Big Island where that is not illegal.

There's another big rental website called AirBnb that is very popular. While some of the rentals are full apartments, many are renting a room in someone's home. In this way, you avoid the problems that hotzcatz so clearly laid out with vacation rentals.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:01 PM

189 posts, read 260,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It is frustrating that people on this forum recommend illegal home vacation rentals. They are very bad for the community
Grow some balls, man!
Every single time i rented the owner had the residence on the property. I could not care less if he did it legal or not. I want to keep the money in the hands of the locals and not some mega corp that will take most of the money out of the islands and just shed a small part to pay a minimum wage for a few people. I know all about this procces because i'm part of it, I advertise on these websites myself and know what the city is doing for the permit fee i'm paying....fake inspections and a false sentiment of protecting the guests...they could not care less about the guests....it is all BS!!! Keep the money into the hands of the locals!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
but in reality I suspect that very very few of the listings on VRBO are locals renting out a unit to supplement their income. The vast majority of listings on VRBO are either condos or single family homes, and not someone sharing an ohana on their lot. So you can understand that these rentals are second homes owned by people who probably don't live in Hawaii full time.
Correct, most VRBO's listings are by people who don't live in Hawaii - or, are so wealthy - they certainly don't need a supplement to income as they own multiple houses.

In Kailua, the median vacation rental is $10,000/month. I'm getting ready to buy another house and could probably operate an illegal rental for $15,000/month versus $5,500/month as a legal rental - poor and struggling people aren't doing illegal vacation rentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTGwHEbM4o4

Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I appreciate your perspective, HBH, but in reality I suspect that very very few of the listings on VRBO are locals renting out a unit to supplement their income. The vast majority of listings on VRBO are either condos or single family homes, and not someone sharing an ohana on their lot. So you can understand that these rentals are second homes owned by people who probably don't live in Hawaii full time. We built our house in 2005 and used it as a vacation rental until we moved in 2010, but we are on the Big Island where that is not illegal.

There's another big rental website called AirBnb that is very popular. While some of the rentals are full apartments, many are renting a room in someone's home. In this way, you avoid the problems that hotzcatz so clearly laid out with vacation rentals.
Yes sorry for some reason i didn't take in the possibility of the other issues. I was really closed minded this morning. Mahalo for your patience. I also can be wrong at tim

Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM

268 posts, read 383,105 times
Timely post. This article was in the local paper today. You can count me as another one who never looked at vacation rentals from a neighbors perspective. I live next door to a house where the owner lives on the other side of the country. He does lease options on the house to people who can't afford it, so they only last 6 months or so before he evicts them. I get a steady turn over of, honestly, undesirable (loud, unthinking, crappy) neighbors. It would drive me nuts to have that every week...

In South Lake Tahoe, residents are restless over vacationers | The Sacramento Bee The Sacramento Bee

Old 03-02-2015, 10:58 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
If it's so easy to find the illegal vacation rentals, why doesn't the state crack down on them ?

I have heard that many try to skirt around the law by technically advertising and renting as a 30-day rental, but then "refunding" part of the rental cost when they only stay a week or two. I admittadly have no first hand knowledge about this, I've only heard second hand info.

Some of the Condo listings on VRBO are legal Vacation rentals. But most of these are in buildings in Waikiki. And it's even a bit difficult there because some Condo buildings are zoned for Vacation rental and others are not. So for the family looking for a vacation on Oahu, they really have no idea what the laws are and where it is legal -vs- illegal.

I'd like to see the State become more active in enforcing the law and cracking down on those owners running illegal vacation rentals. Particularly in the area's outside of Waikiki that are intended to be residential neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: