Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hawaii residents, what do you think of the weather there?
It's perfect! 11 36.67%
It's not perfect, but it's fine 12 40.00%
I don't like it, would rather it was cooler 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 PM

351 posts, read 586,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
People always go on about how perfect the weather in Hawaii is, but then complain about Midwestern summers! I mean isn't Hawaii pretty much a Midwestern summer all year?

I wonder why this is. People in general seem to rate western climates higher than eastern climates, even if there's no reason to. Do any Hawaiians here actually dislike your weather and long for something a bit cooler or less humid?
That statement in bold is a very ignorant statement! Where I work, the high was 73F, and last night was in the mid sixties. In fact it was downright chilly today at noon with the cooler, brisk trade-winds blowing. How is that like a Midwestern summer all year?!

This is a picture I took of Mauna Kea on the Big Island around the same time two years ago. As you can see, the mountain is covered with snow. There's a lot of variation in the weather depending at what elevation you're at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
Quote:
People always go on about how perfect the weather in Hawaii is, but then complain about Midwestern summers! I mean isn't Hawaii pretty much a Midwestern summer all year?

I wonder why this is. People in general seem to rate western climates higher than eastern climates, even if there's no reason to. Do any Hawaiians here actually dislike your weather and long for something a bit cooler or less humid?
A midwestern summer? LOL hardly. It's about as far from a sultry miserable oppressive midwestern summer as you can get.

I live in Kona and while late summer can be pretty darn warm at sea level it's still possible to live without AC. It's hands down the most perfect place on earth to live. Mild, cooler nights (usually), rain that isn't cold, not that much wind here in Kona although other spots can be real windy all the time. Hot? Go up higher. Wet? Drive down to the shore. Cloudy? Drive a little further north from Kona.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Hot? Go up higher. Wet? Drive down to Kona. Cloudy? Drive to Kona.
Fixed for Hilo side

Old 03-05-2015, 10:28 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,945 times
I came from Oregon. If I never see snow or a white frost again, I'm Happy. It was in the 60's last night, (I'm living 900' from the ocean at 40' above sea level), almost got another sheet for the bed, Brr.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,094 times
The temps as said before stays between 82 to 88 generally. The only time you notice the heat is summertime. With the arrival of the Humidity. As long as the automatic A/C (Trade Winds)stay on-line the temperature is nice. You lose the A/C, you notice the humidity and the heat. Also the Vog shows up from the Big Island volcano.
Winters heat is cooler with less humidity and it seems cool, which is nice personally. Normally the rains show up in the Fall through winter. Enjoy seeing the rain for a change to the weather.
Good weather most of the time.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Are people seriously arguing that Minnesota in the summer feels more tropical than Hawaii?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Too hot for me, I like Northern California climate the best, I believe it is the best climate in the country but thats just me.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Too hot for me, I like Northern California climate the best, I believe it is the best climate in the country but thats just me.
Yes, a vote from me for N Cal or S Cal. There is always going to be a subset of the population obsessed with tropical weather- most enjoy four seasons. At least in California you can drive to winter.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Quote:
Are people seriously arguing that Minnesota in the summer feels more tropical than Hawaii?
NO!

What people are trying to tell you is that there is no one temperature or feel in Hawaii. It all depends on where you are -- distance from the ocean, elevation, etc. if you define Hawaii as being on the coast in Kona area, then it will be hot and muggy. If you define Hawaii on the Big Island as being at 900' in elevation in the Kona area, then it can be cooler and less humid than the coast. If you define Hawaii as where I live at 1200' elevation near South Point, then we are mild with a steady trade wind. If you define Hawaii as 13,000' at the top of Mauna Kea, then right now you would have a foot of snow.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,409 times
It can get a little cool at night in Hilo (at least it did to me when I last lived there). We're moving back at some point, and the only weather concerns we have are the rain, the gray skies that can go w/ that, and the VOG. Not much you can do about any of that though.

For those people that live in an alternative weather universe (de nial is not a river in Africa), and say that it doesn't rain that much in Hilo.... there was the one year I had to go to San Diego for a couple of weeks just to get my tan back. That was a long time ago, back when you could scour the newspaper and snag a return flight back to the mainland for $100 if you were of the right gender, or looked good in a dress I guess), but it hasn't changed that much. There are dry years, and there are wet years.

Normally the rains come and go, but there are times when the clouds stall out because they can't get over the mountain and just sit there and stack up. You can get lots of grey and rain when that happens, day and night. My weather preference is actuall for the dry Kona side, but I wouldn't want to live there. If only they had that Kona weather in Hilo! Well, if they did, I probably couldn't afford to live there anyway.

Last edited by smarino; 03-06-2015 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii