Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hawaii residents, what do you think of the weather there?
It's perfect! 11 36.67%
It's not perfect, but it's fine 12 40.00%
I don't like it, would rather it was cooler 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:08 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times

Advertisements

People always go on about how perfect the weather in Hawaii is, but then complain about Midwestern summers! I mean isn't Hawaii pretty much a Midwestern summer all year?

I wonder why this is. People in general seem to rate western climates higher than eastern climates, even if there's no reason to. Do any Hawaiians here actually dislike your weather and long for something a bit cooler or less humid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:49 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
People always go on about how perfect the weather in Hawaii is, but then complain about Midwestern summers! I mean isn't Hawaii pretty much a Midwestern summer all year?

I wonder why this is. People in general seem to rate western climates higher than eastern climates, even if there's no reason to. Do any Hawaiians here actually dislike your weather and long for something a bit cooler or less humid?
No reason to? LOL.

Hawaii has BY FAR the best weather of any other state in the country. Nothing is comparable, not even close.

The average evening temperature in Honolulu varies by 9 degrees ALL YEAR. The average day time temperature varies by 8 degrees ALL YEAR.

There is no other place in the First World that offers such a mild, temperate climate.

And yes, it does get uncomfortably hot here from time to time. And it gets chilly sometimes too. But all considering, nothing comes close to our darn-near perfect climate.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,689,444 times
I've never been to Hawaii, so can someone answer this question for me??.... Does it get straight up hot in Hawaii? Like where u cant even stand to be outside and need to go inside to catch some AC? ....I'm not talking like Phoenix, Arizona hot....more like does it get "Miami hot?"...where the heat and humidity is oppressive? Or does hawaii not have that?.... like right now in Miami it's beautiful.... low 80s as highs and low 70s as lows,..... however come May, it's gonna be like uuugggh.... Does it get like this in Hawaii?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I've never been to Hawaii, so can someone answer this question for me??.... Does it get straight up hot in Hawaii? Like where u cant even stand to be outside and need to go inside to catch some AC? ....I'm not talking like Phoenix, Arizona hot....more like does it get "Miami hot?"...where the heat and humidity is oppressive? Or does hawaii not have that?.... like right now in Miami it's beautiful.... low 80s as highs and low 70s as lows,..... however come May, it's gonna be like uuugggh.... Does it get like this in Hawaii?
You can get temps of 91F with dewpoints of 74F in Hawaii, so I would say yes, it can be Miami-like.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,989 times
It's all relative to where exactly in Hawai'i you live.
I find the temperatures right on the coast to be a bit warm for my liking. It's great when I want to go to the beach, but I prefer cooler nights.
I live about 6 miles inland, at an elevation of about 2500'. Temperatures where I live average around the low 80's during the day and the low 60's at night. This for me is perfect.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:38 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
I moved back to NorCal to get a break from the constant heat. If I were ever to move back it would be to Wahiawa or somewhere else with some elevation.

Last edited by eureka1; 03-05-2015 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-05-2015, 12:42 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
There is very little A/C in Hawaii, especially of the older buildings that are built to take advantage of the tradewinds. A/C isn't necessary if you've got access to shade and tradewinds.

Some folks wear polyester and other synthetic fabrics that don't breathe. They generally aren't comfortable in Hawaii. If you wear natural fabrics that breathe properly, then you're cool and comfortable here. Generally we have a pretty high humidity, but it doesn't feel all that high. Although the numbers might suggest otherwise, it is a very comfortable level of humidity. You will notice as soon as you get off the plane that your skin seems to give a sigh of relief and relax into a sort of lush feeling. But, it's not a good level of humidity for folks who depend on low humidity for their wardrobe, hair style and makeup choices.

We get the occasional day where the heat seems oppressive for a little while in the afternoon, but those are usually days with no breeze and fortunately that doesn't happen all that often. If there is no wind, the land & water create ocean breezes when the sun shines. One will be hotter than the other so the breeze will blow one way or another. But we usually have cooling breezes bringing the air over the ocean onto the land. The ocean is deep around Hawaii and the breezes blowing over the ocean are the temperature of the ocean and that will usually cool off a land based hot afternoon.

Hawaii never gets the same unending baking hot summer heat like the MidWest does. I'm not sure if the temps have ever even gotten over 100 degrees. There's too much ocean out there cooling us down to reach those temps. If it ever did get all that hot, we can all go to the beach and swim in the ocean to cool down, too.

If you live at a slightly higher elevation, then the temperatures will be a few degrees cooler. That can be nice when sleeping at night. You also acclimatize to the weather here. We sleep with blankets all year round and with an electric blanket in the winter.

So, I'd have to say that Hawaii's weather is nothing like a MidWest summer.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There is very little A/C in Hawaii, especially of the older buildings that are built to take advantage of the tradewinds. A/C isn't necessary if you've got access to shade and tradewinds.
Perhaps in your neighborhood in the Big Island - on Oahu, the majority of homes have AC - think about all those condo towers which face the ocean the opposite direction of where the tradewinds are coming from.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
Not really. I think it's just the lack of variation that I don't like. If the winters were cooler (say 50s for highs, with a rare snowfall) it would be perfect. I have no problem with summer, as the summers aren't really extreme compared to other places but when it's basically summer year round, it does get boring. I guess for me the perfect weather would be in Seattle, but with winters averaging about 10 degrees warmer, other than that it's perfect.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:24 PM

749 posts, read 852,331 times
It's a bit cool in Kihei this evening with wind, clouds and it rained a lot yesterday, need a hoodie for sure but not in the 50's for lows so far.
Middle of summer here in leeward parts gets into the 90's if the trades aren't blowing. Good weather for the most part but no, not perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii