Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:13 PM

34 posts, read 140,769 times

Advertisements

my forum search for "cell phone service" turned up four threads but to my surprise none answered what i think is an obvious question: which islands have cell phone service and which do not?...second question: will my sprint cellphone service work on the islands? which ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,704 times
Default my daughter

is on sprint and she called from the road going up to volcano (TBI) yesterday. Lost her for a bit but she said most areas are
good. all the cell companies will show their coverage area maps on their web sites. my husband looked at sprint's and said the coverage is good in most of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjoe48 View Post
my forum search for "cell phone service" turned up four threads but to my surprise none answered what i think is an obvious question: which islands have cell phone service and which do not?...second question: will my sprint cellphone service work on the islands? which ones?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
The new Sprint coverage maps are excellent. You can even insert in a specific address into their "Map a location." It will show their native voice and data coverage as well as roaming areas. My Sprint service allows free roaming on both voice and data so anytime I'm in Hawaii, I've never had a problem with voice coverage and also get excellent coverage with my Sprint data card with EV-DO.

Sprint - Nationwide Coverage

Old 01-15-2008, 02:15 AM

8 posts, read 41,326 times
Sprint, which I believe has merged with Nextel, never gave me good covereage when I was on Kauai. On the Big Island, it worked pretty well if you were near the larger towns (Hilo, Kona, Waimea...) but not further out in the country. Even here on Maui, there seemed to be more dead spots and dropped calls...

We switched to Verizon Wireless, which seems to have the best coverage - and I've tried and compared them on Kauai, Big Island, and Maui.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default Total Call

Aloha, We have used Total Call for our LD service for several years w/no problem. We have a pre-paid program through them for cellular use. So far, on the mainland, no issues what-so-ever. Never had a dropped call or a blind area.

They do have coverage on the Big Island so in March we will see what that is all about. If it is good, we will be very happy. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

A hui hou
Koale

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM

19 posts, read 102,147 times
Is anybody using T-Mobile, and if yes, how is the service on the BI?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM

144 posts, read 735,887 times
I had good Verizon coverage on the Big Island. Especially around Hilo.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 AM

291 posts, read 2,075,392 times
All the islands have fairly good service from the major carriers. My first choice is Verizon because they are also the local wireline company and will offer a bundle discount if you move in. They also have sites in place other carriers don't. Here is a map of Verizon Hawaii coverage and even the smallest islands has some coverage.

Next is a tie between AT&T and Sprint. Sprint roams on Verizon in several places, so you might want to prefer the carrier that requires less roaming. T-Mobile is a good third choice, but they have a few places with no service, but that would be away from the population areas.

While I was on the big island, my T-Mobile phone worked, but I never looked at it to see if it was roaming.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:58 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
I had Cingular when I moved here...lost service when leaving Hilo, so switched to Verizon and have had few problems. There are places in Puna and on the Hamakua coast where I can't get a signal.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 17,645 times
AT&T has excellent service on Maui, I got reception in places most others did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii