Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:44 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times

Advertisements

After years of growing plants in Northern California and dealing with temperature swings of 20f in the winter to 108f in the summer, I am loving growing here on the Big Island. Pests can be a bit challenging, but seeds germinate very quickly and many of the vegetables are producing or ready for harvest at 40 days. It's great to be able to offset the cost of produce by growing your own and it is far easier to manage here than it was in California. Back there, if I missed one day of watering in the summer, it often meant my crop was cooked. Here, most of the watering is covered by mother nature and I only have to water about 2-3 times per month.
Currently growing: Bananas, bluberries, tomatos (4 varieties), cabbage, basil (2 varieties), cucumbers, zuchini, miracle berries, strawberries, lettuce (4 varieties), bell peppers, artichokes and probably something else I am missing.

As far as ornamentals, I have more varieties of cactus, succulents and bromeliads growing than I ever knew existed (were planted when I bought my house). I also have dozens of other plants that I have yet to identify. I haven't put as much effort into the landscaping yet but have added a few plants here and there. Some I have bought (tuberose, gardenia, bird of paradise, Norfolk pine, coffee, citrus) and some I have found growing wild. There's a reason the Big Island is called the Orchid Isle, it is amazing the varieties of orchids and other plants that grow wild here.
Also, you want a palm tree somewhere on your property? No problem, you can go to the beach, grab some fallen coconuts (or sprouted ones), and put them wherever you want to grow a palm, I've got four growing in my landscaping now that I started that way.
And some discoveries are just fun. One of the things that made it feel a bit more like Christmas was seeing all the Poinsettia plants that grow all over the place here, turning from green to bright red during the holidays. I had no idea what they were or that they were even there until they started turning.
I would say that Hawaii is a gardener's paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I just want to thank everyone for reminding me it is Spring

Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Poisonous to whom? I don't intend to eat it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Poisonous to whom? I don't intend to eat it!
Don't quite get your drift . . . I didn't think you might eat it, never crossed my mind. Here's why I mentioned it was poisonous. Night blooming jasmine can be found in many places around the world in warm climates. It goes by many local names, "Lady of the Night" being my favorite. Night blooming jasmine has a signature fragrance, you know it's unmistakable scent regardless of where, on this dirty brown earth you are, particularly in Mexico, Central and South America. Because I too love it's scent I was a little surprised to hear it was poisonous and attracted snakes! That might not mean much to folks in Hawaii but . . .if you're camped in the jungle of the Darien Isthmus of Panama, and smell that aroma, you might be a little concerned about that late night bathroom trip. I know that means less than nothing to most folks but it stayed with me. The fact that it's so fetching on the one hand and dangerous on the other becomes the name, Lady of the Night.

The reason I mentioned it's poisonous is simple. When reading the post I related to the subject and the fact that last summer, while at a coastal park, a family with young children were roasting marshmallows with small oleander branches. I mentioned the fact that not only were oleanders poisonous to cows, dogs, cat and humans but especially to kids! I might add, oleander leaf, cut right, can make a very attractive bait for red fish. Btw, honey from bees feeding on oleanders can be poisonous.

Sometimes, I use flowers in something special I'm making like cheese logs, cakes, whatever. I pay attention to exactly what kind of flowers I use: 17 Recipes to Make With Edible Flowers | Brit + Co

Years ago, at the Halekulani Hotel in Honolulu, I had their famous Halekulani Coconut cake with raspberry coulis decorated with small orchid flowers. That's when I became interested in flowers with food.

I've noticed poor people around the globe will often have a water glass with a flower(s) just to brighten the table, however humble it may be.

Rust

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 AM

308 posts, read 410,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I just want to thank everyone for reminding me it is Spring
Smart arse . Rub it in, whydon'tcha? Hehehehehe!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
My gardening is the same year round.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM

308 posts, read 410,002 times
Right now, here at our home on the Oregon coast, my strawberry plants are starting to bloom; The daffodils and tulips are already past their "best by" date, and the bluebells are currently in full bloom. The hydrangeas are starting to bloom, and the calla lilies have been blooming for over a month, now. The fuchsia bushes (we have dozens) are all blooming and awaiting the arrival of the first hummingbirds to return to their Spring and Summer breeding grounds, here. The Oriental Poppies and Red Hot Poker plants are in bloom as well as the Sea Thrift, Lithidora, Bleeding Heart, Lavender, and Dwarf Daisies. My Rhododendrons are in bud, but haven't broken out with the flowers, yet, unlike some people down the street, whose azaleas and rhodies are already in full bloom. IF I had flowering fruit trees, they'd be in bloom, too, but I don't. Just Shore Pines, here. The neighbors a block up the street have a flowering cherry in bloom, though. It's lovely!

Not in bloom, but growing like weeds, are the Ginger someone brought back from Hawaii, and gave to a friend of mine. She passed it on to me last Summer when it was in bloom. It didn't even die down this Winter, which surprised me. I thought it would be more delicate than it appears to be. I just looked at them this afternoon, though, and there are probably a dozen starts coming up from what was 2 stalks last year. Since my husband loves Ginger Root, he's looking forward to harvesting some of the rhizome next year :-). I have about a zillion other perennial shrubs and trees who are in leaf, but not in flower, yet. Plus the quince, the Glory Bower/Peanut Butter Tree, and the totally indestructible Pampas Grass and Yuccas. I have others which will bloom this Summer, but so far, at least, Spring is shaping up very prettily here, too :-). No veggies yet, though. I'll start them later in the season, as well as herbs (the lavender and rosemary are already well established, so I don't need to plant any more of those). Still way too cool for them to do their thing outdoors, and starting them indoors takes up too much space! So veggies, herbs, and nasturtiums will have to wait for warmer soil....

Even with all of that, though, I'm still terribly envious of your year-round garden Paradise :-). Someday, I hope we can join you as residents.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 43,552 times
Default Daffodils

I miss the rows of daffodils along the highways.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:39 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
I suspect, that at this time of the year, on the Bigger Island, one could grow kalo ANYWHERE!!! In the garden, in the driveway, on the roof, in the friggin basement,, ( don't ask), on the road, at the COSTCO parking lot, on your rubbah slippahs!!!

It's ALWAYS springtime on the Bigger Island

Old 10-18-2015, 12:51 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I dunno if it's springtime, but it is planting season again. Now is a good time for things that like a cooler season. They will grow slower until after Winter Solstice, but they still grow.

I'll be clearing and reseeding the garden this upcoming week. Lettuces, brussel sprouts, kales, beets, bunching onions, green beans and maybe some radishes. Probably some tomatoes and watermelons, too, even though it's a bit early for those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: