Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:55 AM

10 posts, read 20,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
I wish you the best of luck, Julie :-).

Please remember that she is not required to answer questions regarding her reasoning, choices and income. If she has done her homework, she will already know that living in HI is expensive. If she hasn't, and is reading this thread, she will now know that it's a good idea to do so.

The rest of her personal life, above and beyond her original question, is really not any of the rest of our business, especially as low income people are almost always judged in a negative manner by people who don't share that socioeconomic class.
You are a sweetheart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAZ2HI View Post
I am an artist, but do not need to work as I have a monthly income. I just want to be in a beautiful place where I feel at home.
Good to see our tax dollars hard at work!

Old 05-11-2015, 04:35 AM

Mod cut: orphaned quote

You basically said you can afford to move to Hawaii because your rent is capped at 30% of your income... which means you can move to a place with THE MOST EXPENSIVE RENT IN THE COUNTRY... and not worry... because the government will foot the bill.

There are 2,000+ hard-working local families in Hawaii waiting for an opportunity to obtain housing on a decade+ long list and you want to take their place in line so you can move here and be by the ocean?

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-13-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 05:04 AM

10 posts, read 20,183 times
Your problem is right here: "because the government will foot the bill" No, idiot. No. Your second problem is this: I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING. I AM NOT APPLYING FOR SECTION 8 ON MAUI. Grow up. I mean really.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:30 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Question confused

Mod cut: orphaned quote

I have no idea how section 8 works. So will the government be helping you with your rent on Maui or not?

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-13-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
The govt will "help" with your Social Security check later in life, Hootie. It's the same thing - insurance you've paid into, not a handout. Also, who can take your opinion seriously if you don't even know how to use the quote function after having made 159 posts?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAZ2HI View Post
Your problem is right here: "because the government will foot the bill" No, idiot. No. Your second problem is this: I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING. I AM NOT APPLYING FOR SECTION 8 ON MAUI. Grow up. I mean really.
I am not saying you are taking handouts... and you have every right to take advantage of the system as you have paid into it. However, my point is there are both very limited VOUCHERS and very limited SECTION 8 HOUSING in Hawaii. There are struggling families here that need that housing MUCH MORE than you do.

You stated you can work but decide not to because you're entitled to your insurance benefits. The Section 8 program was OBVIOUSLY intended to help WORKING families get the assistance they need to cover the cost of living in the area THEY WORK AND RESIDE IN.

I'm sorry you take offense to this but let's be real here... you are milking your benefits to the maximum allowed so you can enjoy the beauty of Hawaii; while you get to enjoy that beauty, you have eliminated a desperately needed housing opportunity for one small hard-working local family.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:58 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Well, probably not a family since the OP's benefits only encompass a studio or one bedroom rental.

But, housing is tough for Hawaii residents and part of that is the pressure from incoming renters. Same with jobs, folks who want to "live in Paradise" are willing to work for less than local folks and that keeps the pay rate low. If it were easy to move here, then the islands would be hip deep in population, kinda like Oahu. But, folks move over to the islands, pay too much for rent and work a measly job or two while they slowly (or sometimes faster than slowly) sink into a financial morass. After working too much to enjoy the island and finally getting around to realizing that this actually isn't Paradise after all, they then go back to where ever they were before and someone else comes in to start the whole cycle all over again.

It's been like this for decades if not longer. If you can figure out how to make living in Hawaii affordable, there's loads of folks who want to know.

So with the Section 8, is there a limit to how much the rent can be? It seems the holder of the voucher only pays a certain amount, so what if a landlord were to charge three times the usual rent? Would the voucher still cover it?

Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, probably not a family since the OP's benefits only encompass a studio or one bedroom rental.
It is very common to have 2 or 3 individuals living in a studio or one bedroom. It can be a single mother with a child, etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

So with the Section 8, is there a limit to how much the rent can be? It seems the holder of the voucher only pays a certain amount, so what if a landlord were to charge three times the usual rent? Would the voucher still cover it?
Section 8 voucher pays 70% of the fair market rent - in Honolulu, a Studio fair market rent is $1,260 so the voucher pays $882.

This is all a moot point anyway - landlords aren't offering section 8 housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii