Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times

Advertisements

Your rudeness was not appropriate. When you put personal information out on the net, expect people give their own personal views.

No need to call people names here. Don't pay attention to those who respond negatively. That is all you need to do in regards to them.

And btw, I accidently sent rep to that post, I do not believe in calling others names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 PM

268 posts, read 383,105 times
Not commentary on the OP or anyone else, but after reading the comments I was curious about Section 8 as I know nothing about it. Seems like some differing opinions so I did a quick search.

"Section 8 housing assistance program.

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, which is commonly referred to as Section 8, is a Federal Government funded housing assistance program. The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) both created and still currently funds the program, and it is run at the local state and county level by various government agencies, community action agencies, public housing agencies (PHAs), and non-profits. Applicants who are accepted into the program will receive vouchers which are used to help pay rent and in effect subsidize the cost of housing expenses.

The program is a Federal government housing or rent assistance program. Low income individuals and families, the elderly, senior citizens, and disabled are the main recipients of aid. Section 8 provides various forms of housing assistance to low-income renters and even homeowners. This housing assistance comes primarily in the form of rental subsidies, which have the effect of limiting the monthly rent payment that needs to be made by the recipient.

How are section 8 funds distributed

An agency in your area will be tasked with running the Section 8 program and distributing funds. If you apply to the program and are accepted, a housing subsidy payment will be paid directly to your landlord by the PHA or community action agency. The voucher will pay anything above 30% of the applicants adjusted total monthly income up to an established limit, which may vary based on state or program terms. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Therefore, the government pays some of the rent, and the participant is responsible for a portion of rent as well.
."

Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The govt will "help" with your Social Security check later in life, Hootie. It's the same thing - insurance you've paid into, not a handout. Also, who can take your opinion seriously if you don't even know how to use the quote function after having made 159 posts?
God bless your heart woofie, we can't all be as perfect as you. Have a nice day. Mahalo

Old 05-13-2015, 07:34 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Mod cut: orphaned quote

How to win friends and influence people!

And I find it more than a little ironic that the OP complains about "the 1%" taking "subsidies" when she is using a federally-subsidized program to subsidize 70% of her rental costs.

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-13-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
You basically said you can afford to move to Hawaii because your rent is capped at 30% of your income... which means you can move to a place with THE MOST EXPENSIVE RENT IN THE COUNTRY... and not worry... because the government will foot the bill.

There are 2,000+ hard-working local families in Hawaii waiting for an opportunity to obtain housing on a decade+ long list and you want to take their place in line so you can move here and be by the ocean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAZ2HI View Post
Your problem is right here: "because the government will foot the bill" No, idiot. No. Your second problem is this: I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING. I AM NOT APPLYING FOR SECTION 8 ON MAUI. Grow up. I mean really.
Ah, the entitlement mentality. It's quite the wonder to behold. A pungent blend of ignorance and arrogance, wrapped up in a snarly, mean-spirited package.

Sorry, Julie, but pj737 is right and you are entirely incorrect. If you have to pay only 30 percent of your rent, and the government pays the other 70 percent, then yes, the government is indeed footing (most of) the bill. And yes, if somehow you managed to snag one of the apparently few apartments that are available to Section 8 tenants, then you would be cutting in line ahead of the apparently thousands of Hawaii residents who are waiting for their turn. Whether you are applying for Section 8 on Maui or not is irrelevant; if you obtain a Section 8 rental on Maui, you are taking it ahead of a local resident who has been waiting their turn for one of those rentals.

Will you be calling me names now too?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The govt will "help" with your Social Security check later in life, Hootie. It's the same thing - insurance you've paid into, not a handout. Also, who can take your opinion seriously if you don't even know how to use the quote function after having made 159 posts?
Only partially correct. The typical recipient will receive about a third more than they put in, according to the Urban Institute as described in an article by Politifact.

Medicare and Social Security: What you paid compared with what you get | PolitiFact

This is not the proper forum to debate Social Security, but I wanted to correct the common misconception that you stated, that SS recipients were only getting back what they paid into it.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAZ2HI View Post
I am on limited income, but with my voucher, I only have to pay 30% of my income to rent-which means I can live anywhere and have the same rent cost. Gas here in Phoenix I paid 50 cents less per gallon at the AMPM which is the cheapest here.

I am willing to make some major sacrifices to be in paradise, including not driving if need be. (I am somewhat of a hermit anyway.)

Yes, I meant I would be willing to live on nearly any island to come to paradise, but Maui is my favorite for sure.

Honestly, the sacrifice you will have to make to move here is to rent non-section 8 housing. That's all there is, Section 8 housing is taken and has waiting lists already.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-13-2015, 06:38 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Only partially correct. The typical recipient will receive about a third more than they put in, according to the Urban Institute as described in an article by Politifact.

Medicare and Social Security: What you paid compared with what you get | PolitiFact

This is not the proper forum to debate Social Security, but I wanted to correct the common misconception that you stated, that SS recipients were only getting back what they paid into it.
bus man - Mahalo for trying to educate woofie, but I've found its easier to just pat folks like him on the head on move on.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:09 PM

140 posts, read 188,893 times
Julie,

So sorry you should have to endure this though sadly it was predictable. Obviously none of us have the slightest clue what challenges you face or why you qualify for section 8.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post
Julie,

So sorry you should have to endure this though sadly it was predictable. Obviously none of us have the slightest clue what challenges you face or why you qualify for section 8.
Sorry for what? The moderator cut out all the nastiness posted by Julie. Her responses were quite the spectacle.

It doesn't matter what challenges she faced or why she qualified - it's all irrelevant. What she needs to understand is that the people of Hawaii don't want any retired, sun and ocean-seeking transplants coming here to take away desperately needed subsidized housing for WORKING locals. Locals that have been waiting well over a decade - 2,000+ deep. She is welcome with open arms to come and retire and live off of her SS/disability benefits... but it's entirely wrong to take away virtually non-existent affordable housing from literally thousands of locals that have been waiting many years.

I can't imagine why anyone would have any sympathy towards her situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii