Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:42 AM

6 posts, read 9,584 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm a paramedic in Kentucky with 10+ years experience. I have my Hawaii Paramedic License and now I'm trying to decide where to look for employment. I prefer the more rural areas, the more rural the better. And it's just me moving to Hawaii and I don't care to live in a shack, it's all about the location that concerns me.
Do you all have any recommendations of which islands and towns to focus on? I've looked on several employment sites, like Indeed, Monster, etc. but all I can find is part-time employment. I wouldn't mind to work in a hospital or flight service.
Do you all think if I took a part-time position I could pick up enough hours to survive? I'm getting tired of looking online and I'm booking a flight to Hawaii and I'm going to just try to hit as many EMS services and hospitals as I can, I just need a little help on picking a good starting point to begin my job search. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!!

-Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,355,964 times
Your best bet is going to be O'ahu, but that's also where you're going to face the highest cost of living, other than maybe Maui. I doubt there are many openings on the Big Island or other islands.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:23 AM

Thank you smarino. I'll take your advice and go there first. I appreciate the help!

-Ben

Old 06-09-2015, 11:55 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8edg View Post
Do you all think if I took a part-time position I could pick up enough hours to survive?
No. You likely won't "survive" without a roommate even as a full-time paramedic on Oahu (average salary, about $42,000/year). Even full-time you'll probably want to find other part-time employment to supplement your income.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Thanks whtviper1, I've done professional photography for 18 years, maybe I could look for a studio that does weddings, portraits, etc.. I'm also a certified personal trainer so maybe I could find a gym to work at. Any hospitals you recommend checking into? I've seen several job postings for ER and OR techs.
I've noticed a few tenant houses for rent for around $400-500/mo. Some are literally shacks with no indoor plumbing, but that wouldn't bother me at all.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,793,221 times
You should come over here for a few weeks before you move. You don't seem to have a very realistic idea of employment here.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM

That's exactly what I'm doing eureka. I'm flying over for 2 weeks and hit all the EMS services, hospitals, etc. and try to get a better perspective on what's available. I'm simply asking which area would be a good starting point

Old 06-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Any hospitals you recommend checking into? I've seen several job postings for ER and OR techs.
There aren't that many hospitals on Oahu - so it isn't difficult to check them all out.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=oahu+hospitals

Old 06-09-2015, 03:12 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,121,548 times
Quote:
I've noticed a few tenant houses for rent for around $400-500/mo. Some are literally shacks with no indoor plumbing, but that wouldn't bother me at all.
Honestly, if you're an EMT and just fine living in a shack with no indoor plumbing you should definitely give Hawaii a chance. Compared to most people that move here, your expectations for housing (which is BY FAR the largest expense living in Hawaii) is clearly very low; you probably won't be disappointed. You can always get by with lower paid temporary employment until you find something more permanent in your field.

I know two fairly young (late 30's) EMTs and they are paid significantly more than the $42K salary posted by viper.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

I know two fairly young (late 30's) EMTs and they are paid significantly more than the $42K salary posted by viper.
Well - I'm not a Paramedic - so unless an actually Paramedic on Oahu wants to chime in, this is the best I've got. Of course you can make more, $42K implies the median.

EMT Salary in Hawaii

Paramedic Salaries in Honolulu, HI | Salary.com

Both sites have about the same numbers.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii