Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:43 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times

Advertisements

I got a few online quotes and Geico so far has been the cheapest, and that was even with adding comprehensive insurance to a car that currently only has liability. The next cheapest rate (they were within a few dollars of each other) was Progressive however that was liability only on that vehicle. Altogether USAA is about $800 more expensive per year for slightly less coverage on 3 vehicles. Taking into consideration the $70 rebate we got last year from USAA that still makes them about $730 more expensive.

When we were shopping for home insurance it was the first time we ever dropped a USAA insurance product. Our mortgage requires hurricane insurance and the USAA rate was several times more expensive than another carrier that we went through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

When we were shopping for home insurance it was the first time we ever dropped a USAA insurance product. Our mortgage requires hurricane insurance and the USAA rate was several times more expensive than another carrier that we went through.
We had USAA on cars and townhouse, when we moved the our hurricane quote was through the roof.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-20-2016, 10:37 AM

97 posts, read 138,869 times
Have had Geico and USAA for auto insurance...have USAA now and would never go back. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 AM

96 posts, read 112,789 times
One thing to factor into your thinking on this decision is the Subscriber's Savings Account. Several years back, USAA quit sending the check to me at the end of the year, and they started banking it in a Subscriber's Savings Account. A few years ago I noticed that I had a pretty big balance in my Subscriber's Savings Account. I asked a USAA representative about it. They told me that I had to leave USAA or die to get those funds. I thought that seemed kinda dumb. I switched all my insurance over to State Farm, and USAA sent me a check. A year later I went back to USAA. If you have been with USAA for as long as you can remember, you probably have a big balance in your Subscriber's Savings Account.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:42 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
One thing to factor into your thinking on this decision is the Subscriber's Savings Account. Several years back, USAA quit sending the check to me at the end of the year, and they started banking it in a Subscriber's Savings Account. A few years ago I noticed that I had a pretty big balance in my Subscriber's Savings Account. I asked a USAA representative about it. They told me that I had to leave USAA or die to get those funds. I thought that seemed kinda dumb. I switched all my insurance over to State Farm, and USAA sent me a check. A year later I went back to USAA. If you have been with USAA for as long as you can remember, you probably have a big balance in your Subscriber's Savings Account.
USAA must be a mutual company (which wouldn't surprise me, given their intended market), technically owned by policyholders rather than stock holders. So corporate profits go back to policy holders as deposits to a "Subscriber's Savings Account" rather than as "dividends." State Farm, another mutual company, occasionally returns cash to policy holders, but more often uses that money to slightly reduce premiums.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Can people give some examples of what they are paying for a 6 month premium with USAA vs. other companies. I'm paying $510 (I could easily get it down to about $450, but wanted a few extra items added on). This is down from a 6 month premium of nearly $1,400 in NYC. Both with USAA.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:07 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Geico is $208 every six mo. for $300k for me can you beat that?

Old 03-30-2016, 11:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Listing an exact premium is moot unless we are the same age, address, marital status, and have the same car. USAA wanted about 50% more than what I pay at Allstate.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Listing an exact premium is moot unless we are the same age, address, marital status, and have the same car. USAA wanted about 50% more than what I pay at Allstate.

Yep. And who knows what his policies are, deductible or what types of coverage he has.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
I've asked around... there are a lot of USAA folks in my circle. The USAA car and property insurance rates are just higher here in Hawaii than many competitors regardless of age, history etc. This is just a market they aren't competitive in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: