Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM

306 posts, read 338,286 times

Advertisements

I recently just opened a totally free checking account with First Hawaiian Bank as I'll be moving to Kauai soon, and saw that they had a branch in Kapaa. Has anyone had any experience with them? I've looked at reviews and it seems that there has been a decent amount of people who have had miserable experiences with them. Can you compare them at all to Central Pacific or Bank of Hawaii? I'll be using FHB for the most basic of services but I also don't want to be severely inconvenienced by something that I could change easily.

Thanks!

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Is there something specific you are concerned with?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 PM

306 posts, read 338,286 times
A couple things that stuck out to me was that people seemed upset with their customer service, hidden fees, and inefficiency. I knew that they charged to check your balance at an ATM, so that isn't a big concern, but as a rather extroverted "people person" it does make a big difference for me if the staff are abrasive or unwelcoming. A couple reviews talked about hidden fees for online banking and how the "totally free checking" wasn't exactly free. Another common complaint was how long it can take to get any questions answered. There were more specific examples that seemed pretty tough, but typically those involved business finance or something more than a simple checking account. The only place I really researched to see if there was good bank in Hawaii before I created the account was here, and the couple threads that there were seemed to state that they were all basically the same concerning basic service.

I guess I'm just trying to see if there is anyone here who has had experiences similar to the reviews I've read on other websites, which were generally negative.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
I've found credit unions to be much nicer to deal with than most banks. You can have an account at more than one institution, open one at First Hawaiian as well as the local credit union and after awhile you'll find yourself using one more than the other and it will sort of naturally select itself.

For myself, when I go to the credit union, they don't require me to fill out deposit slips or withdrawal slips, they can do all that on the terminal. The bank requires slips to be filled out and a check to be written to myself to withdraw funds. Which I think is a bit odd.

However, those are just the bank/credit union procedures with the institutions that I'm using, yours might be different. Both of them have friendly staff, the credit union is a bit more friendly, but we've been there longer. Once they get to know you, they will become more friendly.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:47 PM

160 posts, read 288,552 times
FNB is part of The BNP Paribas Group (France) whose sister bank is Bank of the West in California and other western states. Since I bank with BOW its easy for me to move back and forth with their relationship. FHB products and services (and fees) are very similar to BOW so there aren't t any surprises for me.
Bank of Hawaii is right across the street in Kapa'a so if you no like FHB you can go across the street and open at BOH.
I heard good things about American Savings Bank in Lihue.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,950,184 times
I've had an account at First Hawaiian for about 50 years. I like them.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:06 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,423,798 times
Exclamation well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
A couple things that stuck out to me was that people seemed upset with their customer service, hidden fees, and inefficiency. I knew that they charged to check your balance at an ATM, so that isn't a big concern, but as a rather extroverted "people person" it does make a big difference for me if the staff are abrasive or unwelcoming. A couple reviews talked about hidden fees for online banking and how the "totally free checking" wasn't exactly free. Another common complaint was how long it can take to get any questions answered. There were more specific examples that seemed pretty tough, but typically those involved business finance or something more than a simple checking account. The only place I really researched to see if there was good bank in Hawaii before I created the account was here, and the couple threads that there were seemed to state that they were all basically the same concerning basic service.

I guess I'm just trying to see if there is anyone here who has had experiences similar to the reviews I've read on other websites, which were generally negative.
What else do you need to know about a financial institution? Pay attention...
Koale

Old 05-28-2016, 01:44 AM

941 posts, read 1,972,777 times
I've been at FHB in Kapaa for 10 years. As a bank goes, they're OK. For the account I have, I need to keep a minimum balance, otherwise the checking isn't free and they hit you with a fee. No online banking fee or ATM balance fee that I'm aware (with my setup--it's possible it depends on the account).

The branch itself has very friendly tellers and other personnel. They don't grumble if I forget to fill out the deposit or withdrawal slip and will either help me do it or do it themselves. The few times I've needed to talk to a banker for other paperwork, things have gone smoothly, though I haven't done anything complicated. They also have safe deposit boxes and access is relatively quick.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:10 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,306,344 times
I've been with American Savings Bank (ASB) forever. Love em... Online banking, app to deposit checks, all the bells and whistles. Very good customer service as well. Located on all the main islands; one in Kapaa as well.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,267,462 times
I have had two car loans through First Hawaiian bank in Pearl city. No issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii