Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
Ok let's say your logic and math is correct. I will go with it. The difference between population from between 1995 and 2015: was 95,000 an increase of 4,750 per year. That number represents less than the typical year of growth of births - deaths, etc etc. Ok so did you know on average by stats 40%.to 50% of those born in Hawai'i move from Hawaii? I bet you didn't factor that in, so if the birth rate is like two births to one death and half the births leave? Doesn't it about make it even? Let's factor that in ok. So in 1995, 885,000 people live in Honolulu country. In 2015, 976,000 people lived in Honolulu county, births 2 to 1 deaths - 50% of those born leave Honolulu that = about 95,000 people moved to Honolulu county in the last 20 years. So basicly all the growth is from people not from Hawai'i. Which is my point. Am I wrong in my logic?
Are you wrong in your logic. Yes, yes, and YES! Even after several cocktails I'd never make sense of that logic.

THE ENTIRE GROWTH OF OAHU THE PAST 20 YEARS IS ATTRIBUTED TO MORE BIRTHS THAN DEATHS. PERIOD. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The population grows by 4,750 a year. There are over 5,500 more births than deaths per year. That is the growth.

About 1,000 people a year net migrate out of Honolulu County. Whoopee - not statistically significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 02:50 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

THE ENTIRE GROWTH OF OAHU THE PAST 20 YEARS IS ATTRIBUTED TO MORE BIRTHS THAN DEATHS. PERIOD. Nothing more. Nothing less.
So there is no growth from the influx of mainland and international transplants? Zero immigration??

The bottom line is many locals are leaving Oahu because they cannot afford to live here anymore. The unabating influx of immigrants from areas of the globe that have a lower standard of living (which reduce the quality of life for locals) + the influx of comparatively wealthy transplants that move here pushing their bougie ideology (which has the potential to improve the standard of living for locals but has the undesirable impact of increasing the cost of living) makes for a pretty dismal reality for many long-time, multi-generational locals.

Of course the politically correct will refrain from stating any of the aforementioned "nonsense" is accurate to any degree.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
So there is no growth from the influx of mainland and international transplants? Zero immigration??
Correct. At least for the past 20 years.

Honolulu County grows by about 5,700 per year by more births than death. About 2 people are born for every death. A staggering number when you think about it.

About 1,000 more leave the island than move to the island. (For instance, if 12,000 move to Honolulu 13,000 move away from Honolulu - likely people who moved here to begin with)

The net is about 4,700 growth per year.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 AM

102 posts, read 118,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post

The bottom line is many locals are leaving Oahu because they cannot afford to live here anymore. The unabating influx of immigrants from areas of the globe that have a lower standard of living (which reduce the quality of life for locals) + the influx of comparatively wealthy transplants that move here pushing their bougie ideology (which has the potential to improve the standard of living for locals but has the undesirable impact of increasing the cost of living) makes for a pretty dismal reality for many long-time, multi-generational locals.

Of course the politically correct will refrain from stating any of the aforementioned "nonsense" is accurate to any degree.
Go figure, according to the stats i have the share of people born to Hawai'i but lives somwhere else has risen sharply. But since 1980s Hawai'i local born population is up 50% but the diaspora has x2

Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post

Also Hawai'i has one of the highest % of the population renting in the country.

I would imagine a large part of that is military, and kids who live in a family home with other family members.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would imagine a large part of that is military, and kids who live in a family home with other family members.
You could be right? Sometimes stats don't cover everything.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:42 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:

Honolulu County grows by about 5,700 per year by more births than death. About 2 people are born for every death. A staggering number when you think about it.

About 1,000 more leave the island than move to the island. (For instance, if 12,000 move to Honolulu 13,000 move away from Honolulu - likely people who moved here to begin with)

Thanks to "cherry picking," your conclusions are slightly off...

Here's a link to some nice tables by the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism that might be more elucidating (especially Table 5)...
http://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/census...2015_Final.pdf

Old 06-01-2016, 12:14 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
Quote:

It would be a staggering number if it were actually true.

Perhaps your current agenda is to make it seem as if locals breed like rabbits?

You'll need to scrounge up some new "data" to make a valid argument because you make absolutely no sense.

There are more people that migrate here internationally than net birth gains made by residents.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Thanks to "cherry picking," your conclusions are slightly off...

Here's a link to some nice tables by the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism that might be more elucidating (especially Table 5)...
http://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/census...2015_Final.pdf
Quote:
I see - who is cherry picking now - I referenced the past 20 years.

The table you reference is from the past 5 years.

go elucidate on that.....

And by the way, net 14,000 from 2010-2015 is not a lot of people on an island of over 900,000 people.

And - it doesn't change the fact that in the past 20 years there has been overall net migration loss.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 PM

@Pj737 and Jonah K

Mahalo nui loa guys! Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: