Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I tourism and construction are booming, but the rest? I don't know.
Like what else makes the rest? Tourism makes or breaks Hawaii. The tech industry? I'm sure it isn't growing much in Iowa either. Hawaii will never have a "booming" tech industry - why would it - most tech is outsourced

Off the top of my head Hawaiian Airlines is growing tremendously- all those new planes have to fly somewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 03:04 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Well, off the top of my head who is the biggest employer in the state?

Government.

Your attitude is to put all eggs into one or two baskets, which is never a good idea, which we saw after 9/11.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-03-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Your attitude is to put all eggs into one or two baskets, which is never a good idea, which we saw after 9/11.
Not my attitude- reality.

Tourism wasn't all that huge prior to 1960. The reality is agriculture is dead - what industry can possibly grow in Hawaii - the most remote islands in the world?

Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It should be noted that homeownership by local residents in Hawaii is at its HIGHEST LEVEL IN HISTORY.

Last month, a full 25% of homes on Oahu went for over asking price.

This notion it is so unaffordable doesn't resonate. Want working class examples - go check out Pearl City.

And some of you should actually visit Monte Carlo sometime. You'd probably like it.
I'm new here but my family was multigenerational on the islands. The problem with forums like this is often you get new people from Hawaii who claim they know Hawaii but don't know her history. Big money in Hawaii hasn't been local since the breakup of the big five in Hawaii. I see we are using current stats to justify a position that to be honest doesn't apply. Let me explain. If you understood Hawaii history you would know that locals were plantation workers, later they were the middle class and the poor on the islands. Thru the years especially on Oahu we have seen high turnover rates of poor and middle class of the past being replaced with new people from the mainland and internationally. This is why Oahu and Hawaii today is richer then ever. You also see international business taking over where the big five used to be dominate. Since statehood the population of people from Hawaii is shrinking. For example, how many on this forum can claim to have been born here or lived here longer then a decade or two? Not many most likely. The point of this is to help people understand that it's very difficult to justify that locals are benefiting from the way things are now unless they for example, own a generational home or land and sell it or lived in it.

The effect of outside money or wealth has changed the politics of our islands and local values to values and goals you see in every major city. This is often the point that is overlooked by a lot of transplants or new people. They confuse localism for hatred of the rich, just because they are rich. So untrue, it was there actions, attitudes and how they used there money to fall in line with local values that determines success or not. People from outside of Hawaii who don't know her history or culture come here with a mindset that is not benifiting all people of Hawaii and is haole. This is now why you see the issues on the islands that used to be considered mainland troubles. High cost of living, homelessness, high addiction rates and high petty crime rates. The problem with this mindset is often it's fixed, only one solution to success ,one ideal of success. Anyway in to the solutions.

I know I will be booed for this and might have my post erased but to be honest the solution is in our past. Stop building the creature comforts that outsiders are used too. Most people like in the past in Hawaii will not stay or move to an area that is so foreign or not comfortable. Humans are creatures of habit. Why do you think outside money is trying to change our home to
match where they are from?

I promise you, go back to the local values and the issues of the mainland will disappear. Of course this doesn't set well with the
outside mindset that the only solution is more money. We see Hawaii today richer then ever but the issues getting worse.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another local View Post

The effect of outside money or wealth has changed the politics of our islands and local values to values and goals you see in every major city. This is often the point that is overlooked by a lot of transplants or new people. They confuse localism for hatred of the rich, just because they are rich. So untrue, it was there actions, attitudes and how they used there money to fall in line with local values that determines success or not. People from outside of Hawaii who don't know her history or culture come here with a mindset that is not benifiting all people of Hawaii and is haole. This is now why you see the issues on the islands that used to be considered mainland troubles. High cost of living, homelessness, high addiction rates and high petty crime rates. The problem with this mindset is often it's fixed, only one solution to success ,one ideal of success. Anyway in to the solutions.

I know I will be booed for this and might have my post erased but to be honest the solution is in our past. Stop building the creature comforts that outsiders are used too. Most people like in the past in Hawaii will not stay or move to an area that is so foreign or not comfortable. Humans are creatures of habit. Why do you think outside money is trying to change our home to
match where they are from?

I promise you, go back to the local values and the issues of the mainland will disappear. Of course this doesn't set well with the
outside mindset that the only solution is more money. We see Hawaii today richer then ever but the issues getting worse.
HBH - bad spelling and all. As you propose making people in Hawaii second class citizens, shall we also take away their iPhones, Internet, and cable TV - that way they can't aspire to anything.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:21 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My history is poor, but didn't the poor plantation workers become the government and the unions?

The slaves are now the masters. Back to what I usually say, we need an active two party system. Don't really see that happening.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-03-2016, 04:27 PM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Not my attitude- reality.

Tourism wasn't all that huge prior to 1960. The reality is agriculture is dead - what industry can possibly grow in Hawaii - the most remote islands in the world?
I think you have made a very good observation. There is nothing to drive "industry" to Hawaii. Sugar and Pineapple are now commoditized elsewhere and protections are gone. However, as I understand it, there is a flourishing ag industry on Maui growing GMO seed-stock to help feed a hungry world. It's a niche, so not a lot of people are doing it, so it might offer some possibilities.

However, money has moved in, and driven the prices of highly desireable space up past the point where a basically semi-skilled labor force can keep up. That isn't going to change - it is part of the United States and people, including wealthy people, are free to live where they want. The Hawaiian culture on its own can't compete in the modern era, so going back in time is a non-starter. Bring back some cane and become a new center for the Rum markets of the world!!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:54 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
I lived on Oahu for 4 years. For decades I've dreamed of going back never made it. It's probably out of my reach financially. Where I live now I'm paying $1,000 for a small studio with no laundry facilities, basic kitchen (sink, fridge, no oven, just a hotplate) in suburban Denver. But it does include all utilities and WIFI, and is in a million dollar home neighborhood.

On my salary I can put about 400 in the bank monthly, but that is largely because I haven't owned a vehicle since 2012. And At my age I'm probably not going to be seeing huge salary increases. Putting away at the bare minimum $200 monthly is the only way I can exist.

In the best case scenario I would make approximately the same money, but rent would increase after figuring in utilities and data connection. Overall cost of living would as well. The margin between success and failure in my case are too thin. If anything went wrong I would be in a hole very quickly.

The locals who say it's going to be tough to make it are not just doing it to just to keep the islands from getting more crowded. If I went now, it would mean a vow of poverty pretty much in that I would never be able to accumulate much. I've been in situations of having 3 or so years worth of living expenses saved up, that would have been the time to move.

But I get that money isn't everyone's driving force. I've had money and also have experienced barely scraping by which isn't how I want to live long term.

Last edited by A1eutian; 06-04-2016 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
Hawaii is not even the most expensive place to rent an apartment; it is the most expensive place to rent a bed!

I know a landlord in Kaimuki who owns a 3-bedroom house. She puts two bunker beds in each room -- which means there are 12 beds in total inside the house. She rents each bed for $550 per month. And the last time I checked all the beds are rented. These beds cater to the needs of many tourists/temporary workers who intend to stay on the islands for extended stay but can neither afford to stay in hotel nor able to rent any apartment which requires at least a 6-month lease.

Of course these activities are illegal. In fact, the units advertised on Airbnb in Oahu are almost completely illegal due to outdated law.

Actually Honolulu has an acute shortage of both short term and long term rental units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: