Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 PM

216 posts, read 1,187,338 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

Anyone have any remedies for this VOG? Does Claritin or something like that work? I don't remember it ever being like this. I'm over here on the west side of the Big Island and I hear it is even worse over there. I never thought I would wish for those strong trades to return like I am right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM

850 posts, read 4,371,015 times
close all your windows and pray to the gods for some trade winds. whenever it's "kona" weather or the winds are from the south, we see more VOG. so i'm told. there's something brewing on the big island and it ain't coffee. lol.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:16 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,314,027 times
When I notice unusual levels of VOG in Hilo, I've found that a dehumidifier seems to help. I'll turn it on in the bedroom a couple of hours before bed and usually enjoy a restful night. We bought our dehumidifier when doing a tiling project and we were in the middle of a long stretch of rainy weather, but I've found it to be a real asset, either when VOG comes our way or when we have a long stretch of rain.

The VOG hotline recommends avoiding exertion and staying indoors, preferably in AC.

(I just got back to Hilo from Puako and it seems pretty clear here today, with a light breeze--we also felt that the VOG on the West side these last few days was the worst we've ever noticed there. I'll be back on Thursday...and will be praying for the trades to return!)

Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the tips! I've dusted off the kids nebulizer, but so far haven't had to use it. Just a few scattered coughs throughout the night. I might look into that dehumidifier. The vog sure makes for pretty sunsets though!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM

307 posts, read 1,225,430 times
Sometimes you get an asthma attack when you get VOG. It is not fun.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,951,005 times
My wife and I are suffering from eye irritation today on Oahu. It;s pretty bad.

Hank

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM

307 posts, read 1,225,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
My wife and I are suffering from eye irritation today on Oahu. It;s pretty bad.

Hank

It is probably from the pollen. You have to realize Hawaii has high pollen !

Old 02-23-2008, 09:45 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,951,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii View Post
It is probably from the pollen. You have to realize Hawaii has high pollen !
It is VOG.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:59 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,593,201 times
I've got one of those ionic breeze something air cleaners, has a metal grid inside which you take out and rinse off. You wouldn't belive what comes off that thing especially after just a few days of Kona winds!!!! Working out in Napili a few years back, it got so windy, trades, that we had to shut the jobsite down. Driving back to Kihei I'm looking south, and there's these two white things way off in the distance. Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa!!!! Never realized you could see the Bigger Island off the Pali around Olowalu, the reason why??????? VOG!!!
Nice and clear here today, but no wind........

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-23-2008, 03:37 PM

I flew over to Honolulu yesterday and couldn't believe how it changed the way the sky looked all the way over. When we landed, the Koolau's were barely visible. Madame Pele at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii