Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 PM

25 posts, read 22,689 times

Advertisements

Aloha-

Could you enlighten me on the jobs situation on the ground? There seems to be a great variety of accounting jobs, especially in healthcare where I have direct experience. No CPA yet although qualified to take the exam so I will be sitting within the next year or two. I have MS in accounting and an MBA. Assuming I do not get an offer remotely, how hard/easy it is to secure an accounting position? My definition of hard is applying for months and barely getting any response or interview invites due to deluge of qualified candidates while easy would imply getting offers within a month or two of starting search.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Plenty of accounting jobs in Oahu.

You may get a job in a week or a few months.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:06 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,427,124 times
The above is probably true. However, compare your cost of living. It is VERY expensive to live in Hawaii. Oahu is a tiny island with about 800,000 people on it so traffic is literally a nightmare most the time.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Well, it's actually over 950,000 people and traffic isn't a "nightmare" most of the time.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,122,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
traffic is literally a nightmare most the time.
Anybody that moves to Oahu for a new employment opportunity so they can immediately sit in traffic 10 hours a week gets the highly coveted Moron of the Year Award.

It's actually quite easy to avoid the traffic "nightmare". Just follow this advice (drum roll here...) - LIVE NEAR YOUR WORK.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:24 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,570,337 times
It depends on how selective you are. If all you're looking for is "a" job, you'll find it. But if you want a good job, that can take longer. Were you looking for a public accounting job or private industry? For public accounting, the hiring is largely seasonal, depending on the busy seasons.

There's a decent amount of jobs, but salaries can be fairly dismal compared to many mainland locales. This is true across the entire business sector, not just accounting.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,795,926 times
Those jobs don't pay well unless you can get on with the Federal Government. Try the Navy. You may have to pay your own moving expenses but it would be worth it.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
The above is probably true. However, compare your cost of living. It is VERY expensive to live in Hawaii. Oahu is a tiny island with about 800,000 people on it so traffic is literally a nightmare most the time.
Appreciate the insight but not relevant to my question.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
It depends on how selective you are. If all you're looking for is "a" job, you'll find it. But if you want a good job, that can take longer. Were you looking for a public accounting job or private industry? For public accounting, the hiring is largely seasonal, depending on the busy seasons.

There's a decent amount of jobs, but salaries can be fairly dismal compared to many mainland locales. This is true across the entire business sector, not just accounting.
I am focusing on industry and government mainly. Also, I didn't notice this -30% pay cut people are quoting. Pay seems on par with mainland for most jobs that publish salary information.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Those jobs don't pay well unless you can get on with the Federal Government. Try the Navy. You may have to pay your own moving expenses but it would be worth it.
Thanks. I noticed that they pay less than industry for jobs with my qualifications so that would be my reservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: