Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 02:19 PM

198 posts, read 386,790 times

Advertisements

With that budget go to the Big Island. That is your best bet.

Good luck finding jobs that pay anything. Sorry to be a downer but it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 10:58 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie574 View Post
Thanks for responding. I'm going to research Ewa Beach, or adjust our budget higher. Lol
That will be the old areas, not the new.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2016, 11:17 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
-
We have a 7 year old son, so a great school district is very important. Expensive areas = good schools for the most part. Hawaii has a lot of private schools because our public school system is lacking
Safe/low crime area. On Oahu, your budget is going to put you in low income areas
My husband is a Registered Nurse (14 years of experience).
I just finished my BA in Criminal Justice.
We have money saved, and our housing budget is $350,00-$400,000. In Ewa, decent townhomes are going for 700K,
We prefer suburban family areas, but close to the city. Drive from Ewa to town is about 1.5 hours each way
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2016, 12:29 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
I can't speak of wages but I know that many of the nurses on the East side of the Big Island work for https://www.nursesrx.com/ They pay travel and other expenses in addition to wages while the nurses do a stint in hard-to-fill employment areas. If your husband is a registered nurse you guys could potentially try an area you are considering moving to this way. I don't know anything about the company so this is not endorsement, I only know about it because I sold a car to a nurse from the mainland who was doing a 4 month stint in Hilo. There are other companies as well. When I lived in Alaska the nurses did 1 month on, 1 month off and they returned home during their month off.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:39 PM

21 posts, read 26,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimfeld View Post
You'll have no problem finding a 2br/2ba condo on Kauai in that price range. Of course, here's there's not much "city", but we do at least have a Costco I don't have kids yet, so can't say much about the school situation. And as with the other islands, finding employment would be the biggest issue.
I don't think her $350k budget takes into consideration the fact that a typical 2bd/2ba condo on Kauai also has a $1000/mo HOA fee. I don't know about Oahu, but that's something most people don't realize when they start to look at buying a condo on Kauai. There's a reason condos in these oceanfront complexes are under $500k...

Old 11-17-2016, 12:12 AM

28 posts, read 39,226 times
I was thinking specifically about the complexes around Hanalima and Manawalea St.in Lihue. Not beachfront, but as far as I know the HOA fees are far below $1000/month.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:53 AM

21 posts, read 26,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimfeld View Post
I was thinking specifically about the complexes around Hanalima and Manawalea St.in Lihue. Not beachfront, but as far as I know the HOA fees are far below $1000/month.
When I think of condos on Kauai, I typically think of ocean front complexes with pool and tennis courts which drives up the HOA. I guess there are some affordable condos inland as you just pointed out. How is that neighborhood? I drive down Puhi road everyday, but have never driven into that residential area. It's probably one of the most affordable areas to live on the East/South shore and seems safe enough. Close to shopping and jobs in Lihue/Kapaa too.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:14 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That will be the old areas, not the new.

And townhomes only.

Back around 2008-2012, you could have gotten a single family house in ewa beach actually for her price range since the undesirable areas of the island was hit so hard by the recession. Nowadays, it's more like 500-600k.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:24 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie574 View Post
Hello!

My husband and I are strongly considering moving from Indiana to Hawaii. We are so over Indiana and the cold/snowy & horrible winters.

--- A little about us and what we are looking for ---
We have a 7 year old son, so a great school district is very important.
Safe/low crime area.
My husband is a Registered Nurse (14 years of experience).
I just finished my BA in Criminal Justice.
We have money saved, and our housing budget is $350,00-$400,000.
We prefer suburban family areas, but close to the city.

Any recommendations?
Thanks a lot!

I live in NW Indiana and have visited Hawaii. I think you're in for a culture shock! Have you ever visited there? EVERYTHING is much more expensive. I understand moving from the cold and snow but might want to consider a place with lower cost of living. Unfortunately it sounds like from the other posters your budget is too low to live in a nice area of Hawaii with good schools. Have you considered other states with lower COL but warmer weather?

North Carolina
Texas
Arizona
Florida

Last edited by CGab; 11-23-2016 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 11-24-2016, 09:50 AM

919 posts, read 789,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I live in NW Indiana and have visited Hawaii. I think you're in for a culture shock!
Maybe in a good way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii