Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times

Advertisements

^

Yeah it really does depend... A college student living on a ramen and part time retail job with student loans idea of living is very different from a single parent trying to raise 2 kids in their parents house is very different from _____ .

my personal opinion of what is a livable wage:
able to rent/own a 1br condo or larger by yourself
able to save adequate funds for retirement
able to purchase necessities without fear of overspending
able to spend on discretionary items and go on trips within reason

In my opinion, the median household income in Honolulu is a good place to start. I think the average person would be ok if earning around that sum of money. I think you could subtract ~20% from that and still be ok if single. If you are a couple and have kids, perhaps add 20% to the household income per kid.

Household Income and Average Income in Honolulu top
Median Household Income$67,905
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 03:28 PM

206 posts, read 466,229 times
There's a great deal of poverty in Hawaii, the gap between the rich and poor tends to be really extreme. Lots of young people who grew up here leave, so do older folks who want to be able to retire, and many who move here and then find that long-term poverty with no application for their degrees doesn't really work for them.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:14 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
As others are writing, no. You absolutely do not have to be rich to live in Hawaii or to even enjoy Hawaii as a resident. While having more money certainly makes doing certain things easier (it also makes certain things even possible to begin with), I see and know plenty of people who are certainly not "rich." Note, when I write "rich," I'm referring to the ability to live comfortably (another poster had a good list that I'd agree meets this definition). I live "well" for me. But I'm single and earn in the low 6 figures. While my mortgage eats up a good portion of my pay, I still have more than enough left over each month to do what I want to do.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:03 PM

9 posts, read 9,980 times
No. It just depends on what's important to you. If material gain is your thing, you need to be rich here. Most of what these islands offer has very little to do with material things.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,891 times
Agree with most posts above. Specifically, No...you do not need to be rich. But how you live can vary dramatically depending on your choices, desires, and priorities. I live in an area of O'ahu where our population income varies dramatically from outright poverty to considerable wealth, and were those two extremes can be found living 1-2 blocks apart in some cases. In the end, we still walk out to the beach together and watch the sunsets in the same way. As an example, I live in a fantastic house that I pay a ridiculous amount of money for. That said, I live super frugally else wise...I mean ultimate cheapskates kine. I eat my own grown veggies or trade with neighbors, buy only stuff that's on sale, wear the cheapest-a$$ board shorts and 10 year old tee shirts, split a car with my girlfriend or ride the bus, send my daughters to public school, and rarely if ever eat at a restaurant. Funny thing is, this place is so fantastic that I'm just about never inside my house. I'm out enjoying Hawaii or working. So, I could live pretty much the same on a whole lot less and the only difference would be that I walk 5 minutes longer to get to the beach and I sleep in a different place. It's all about what you want rather than what you need. If you want a two car garage, two bedrooms, a couple year old BMW, and be a block from the beach, then no way. If you're okay living in Wahiawa in a room with other housemates, parking on the street or taking the bus, saving a little for special things, and mostly cooking for yourself, then sure you can live on $2K a month post tax.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:39 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Nope, you don't have to be rich to live in Hawaii, but you do have to be rich if you want to live a 'mainland' lifestyle in Hawaii.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:54 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Nope, you don't have to be rich to live in Hawaii, but you do have to be rich if you want to live a 'mainland' lifestyle in Hawaii.
I'm curious: what do you define as "rich?" I live a mainland lifestyle, but I am certainly not what I'd call rich, though I am comfortable enough.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:27 PM

224 posts, read 285,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm curious: what do you define as "rich?" I live a mainland lifestyle, but I am certainly not what I'd call rich, though I am comfortable enough.
I thought with the high cost of living in Hawaii, one would have to make A LOT of money in order to live comfortably.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I'm just curious since the cost of living is high in Hawaii. For those living or who have left Hawaii, do you have to be rich in order to live in Hawaii? According to stats, a liveable wage in Hawaii (Honolulu County) is $14.92/hour. What do you think is a reasonable, liveable wage for Hawaii?
Take note that the required income DOUBLES if you add one child. Better get that kid a reality show or a modeling gig. Seriously, why would you want to live here on a living wage for more than a few years as a young adult? Fun in your twenties but when you are 40 living in a 300sf rented studio with a stalled career and no hopes of a retirement plan you'll experience the dull side of paradise.

A local can hope to inherit a property that won't have to be split among siblings but if you are coming here on your own you'll probably need to have a salary of AT LEAST $100,000 to save for a down payment on a $500,000 one bedroom condo. That's about 4 full time jobs at $14.92 an hour. That is not living.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:29 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Take note that the required income DOUBLES if you add one child. Better get that kid a reality show or a modeling gig. Seriously, why would you want to live here on a living wage for more than a few years as a young adult? Fun in your twenties but when you are 40 living in a 300sf rented studio with a stalled career and no hopes of a retirement plan you'll experience the dull side of paradise.

A local can hope to inherit a property that won't have to be split among siblings but if you are coming here on your own you'll probably need to have a salary of AT LEAST $100,000 to save for a down payment on a $500,000 one bedroom condo. That's about 4 full time jobs at $14.92 an hour. That is not living.
Or if everyone is lower income, they can pack everyone, grandparents, parents, kids, their kids into one house all paying off one rent/mortgage payment. That's also very common in Hawaii, and why when you hear of a 3br/2ba house burning down, 10-15 people are homeless.

And I agree, "that is not living", at least in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I thought with the high cost of living in Hawaii, one would have to make A LOT of money in order to live comfortably.
What income level do you define as A LOT of money? As a state, Hawaii has one of the highest, if not the highest cost of living in the country. But there are other cities individually on the mainland that have higher cost of living than Honolulu or Hawaii overall. Of course those cities tend to also have higher average income than Hawaii.

Last edited by rya96797; 01-30-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii