Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:07 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
30%? Would love to see a source on that. On Oahu, perhaps 10% at grocery stores. Exception is electricity.
in before the milk picture from an ABC Store in Waikiki...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I've lived here for about 5 months so far. Outside of finding the particular housing you want, I don't see anything that screams you have to be rich around here. I will say the cost of shipping is obviously a pain though
Agreed, some things are a little higher, gas included, and of course housing is significantly higher than in Kentucky or Missouri, but it's not totally outrageous. If you come from expensive west coast cities like LA or Seattle, housing can actually be a little cheaper on Oahu, if you come from somewhere like NYC or San Francisco then housing will be downright cheap.

If you shop at Costco (and Don Quijote) for staples, don't leave lights and TVs on unnecessarily during the day and such, you'll probably find your food and living expenses to be pretty on-par with any big city on the mainland, with a smaller premium than expected.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,715 times
Quote:
30%? Would love to see a source on that. On Oahu, perhaps 10% at grocery stores. Exception is electricity.
I'd say food is more than 30% more expensive than the mainland, unless you live in a high cost area on the mainland. Maybe you need to do some traveling around the US if you've been stuck there too long. If you're interested in comparing prices on food items, post a list of items and their prices, and I'll check the prices in my area, and we can compare prices.

I can give you rough prices on common items. A dozen eggs, about $1.20, sometimes less than a dollar. Milk, about $1.30 a gallon. Iceberg lettuce, about $1.30 a head, sometimes barely above $1 a head, sold by unit, not by weight, pick the largest and heaviest lettuce in the stack for the best deal. Surprisingly, pineapple is cheaper here too. Meat and bread cost 1/2 to 1/3 the price here. Most of our food is shipped from California, Mexico, South America, some from Europe and Asia. Not much food is actually grown and sold in the Midwest. Food is grown in the Midwest, then shipped elsewhere. Most of the food in our stores is shipped from thousands of miles away over land and sea, yet the prices are drastically lower in the Midwest than in Hawaii.

Electricity is about 13 cents per KWH here. But the weather is lousy. It should warm up by late May or early June. Then by September it will cool down again. The climate is lousy, but the cost of living is much lower, and the wages are much higher. I'd take about a 50% cut in wages doing IT work in Hawaii.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I'd say food is more than 30% more expensive than the mainland

Surprisingly, pineapple is cheaper here too.
Do you have a source? Show us a flyer with a typical basket of goods - say $150 worth and show us how that would be nearly $200 in Honolulu. Nitpicking a item here and there isn't helpful. And let's compare Honolulu where practically everyone lives - the outer islands are outliers - picking an outer island location is like picking some dusty town in the middle of Wyoming.

Of course pineapple is cheaper - it's from the Philippines shipped direct to LA.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:31 AM

406 posts, read 865,553 times
Here ya go - https://www.kroger.com/weeklyad

Mickey

Old 03-03-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
What items are you comparing? That's just an ad. Let's see a typical $150 basket of goods go for nearly $190 in Honolulu. You can nitpick a single item here and there but that isn't helpful.

Sigh. I got sucked in to clicking the link and it isn't even an ad. Nice comparison.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:34 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
What items are you comparing? That's just an ad. Let's see a typical $150 basket of goods go for nearly $190 in Honolulu. You can nitpick a single item here and there but that isn't helpful.

Sigh. I got sucked in to clicking the link and it isn't even an ad. Nice comparison.

Here you go, you poor ting;

https://www.kroger.com/weeklyad?Stor...DivisionId=021

Now, the question is, do you want to live in,, uuuurrrrrppppp, scuze me, Indiana????

Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 PM

At a glance, looks comparable to Honolulu to me. So I guess the 30% thing is a myth.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM

451 posts, read 411,723 times
OMG, did anyone check out what those poor souls are paying for booze in the ad?!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:46 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Here you go, you poor ting;

https://www.kroger.com/weeklyad?Stor...DivisionId=021

Now, the question is, do you want to live in,, uuuurrrrrppppp, scuze me, Indiana????

OMG, those prices are lower than here in Ohio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii