Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 12:58 PM

70 posts, read 98,703 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has recently been through the process of bringing a pet to Hawaii. I'm well into the process of preparing our two dogs for the move to Hawaii at the end of June. I would like to send all the documents (rabies certificates, import form, and payment) about a month ahead of time. Since the health certificate needs to be done within 14 days, I obviously would need to bring that with me as it states on their website: "If the health certificate cannot be sent 10 days before arriving with the rest of the documents, the original must be given to the inspector upon arrival in Hawaii."

I was just wondering if anyone has done it this way (bringing the health form as opposed to mailing it ahead of time). My preference would be to mail it, but because we will be out of town the timing won't work to get all the documents mailed at once and on time. I just don't want to show up and have an issue because they didn't receive the health certificate ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 01:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
We brought our dog back and forth multiple times, most recently was 2015.

You have to mail the rabies titer test results in advance (I think 30 days) to get the import certificate. You need that to even get on the plane with you dog - the carrier won't let a dog board unless it has the import certificate.

The health certificate is more for the inspector when you land. We got ours I think a week before we left. As I recall, the vet was responsible for sending a copy to Hawaii and we just brought our copy and gave it to the inspector here in Hawaii. It is all on the state web site and there is a number you can call with questions.

BTW, if your dog is going in the cargo hold be sure to get a reservation for him/her way in advance. There is limited space and it books quickly.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Thanks TwoByFour. I just wanted to hear from someone who has been through it recently. We've already done the titer test and sent the results to the Ag department. I bought my ticket and reserved space for the boys (they will be able to go in the cabin with us). One of them needs a rabies shot this week, and then I think we are set until we do the import form and the health certificate.

I don't know if I'm slow or what, but I've read through the instructions probably 20 times, and yet every time I read them I understand them differently than the time before. And screw ups still happen. My dog now has two microchips because the vet tech at my veterinarian had the wrong info and insisted that he needed a certain type of chip when it turns out the one he had would have been fine. Now I have to keep up with registering two microchips from now on .

Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Once you get the import certificate the only checks performed are (1) at the departure airport by the carrier, and (2) at the arrival airport by the authorized vet. The latter is the one who verifies that the dog being brought in matches the import certificate and also verifies the animal has not caught a disease in the last 7 days or so.

I would call up Ag Dept if you have questions. They are responsive but you have to leave a callback #.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:17 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Exclamation so...

When we took our two dogs to Hawaii...we sent what was requested/required, followed up with email confirmation that all required documents had been received, were accurate and all was well...and...had copies of all tests, documents etc that were pertinent to our pets, copied and carried with us when we arrived for our flights. Can't be too careful. I do think you will be surprised at how careful the airlines are with you pet. They are all very caring and cautious... when we left Seattle for the Big Island we had a 4 hour delay after boarding due to computer problems with flight paths all up and down the west coast...before I even voiced concern about who was down in their baggage area a Stewardess came to me, quite unexpectedly, and told me that 'Kramer' was doing just fine and was sleeping...she even referred to him by name. We had many great flights on Hawaiian Air... It will all work out...
Koale

Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks Koale, that's good to know you've had good experiences with the airlines. How stressful that must have been to have such a long delay with your baby down below!

I will definitely plan to have copies of all the necessary documents with me on the day we fly. I also like the idea of contacting the Ag Dept when things get a little closer to make sure they've gotten everything, and that everything is on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii