Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,254,439 times

Advertisements

Not because it's expensive, but because it's hard to choose which island to buy at.

I've been to all the islands, including Molokai & Lanai and I like each island for different reasons. But it boils down to three of them: Oahu, Big Island & Maui. Though beautiful, I can rule out Kauai since it's too rainy for me.

1. Oahu: The food scene, Kailua & Lanikai beaches.

2. Big Island: The fact that it isn't crowded, Manini'owali, Hapuna & Mauna Kea beaches, the volcano, the contrast between lava fields, a green backdrop and turquoise waters.

3. Maui: The most balanced island I found. Plenty of open spaces, Upcountry, Big Beach & Ka'anapali, Haleakala, Lanai, Molokai & Kahoolawe at a distance, just enough people for you to feel a relaxed vibe and at the same time just enough people to enjoy a good amount of businesses.

I'm heading over to Maui next month to check out properties for sale but I'm having second thoughts. I can't make up my mind on it. Sometimes I'm leaning towards the Big Island and sometimes Oahu for different reasons.

One thing is certain, though, when I go to Hawaii I want to go to relax and I don't get that feeling on Oahu. So it kinda leaves me between Maui & the Big Island. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR why is this so hard?

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 04-20-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 AM

85 posts, read 99,599 times
It was a very easy decision for me.

Never been a fan of the sandy beaches like the ones you posted pictures of. Sand gets everywhere, and if there's a stronger shore break and it's all mixed and murky water, then you'll be washing sand out of every orifice when you get home. Give me a nice shoreline of pahoehoe any day... calm tidepools, easy walking, and less people.

Didn't want to have to fly (no matter how short) if I wanted a change of scenery for a bit. Here, a 30 minutes drive (at the most) puts you in a completely different climate. Spend the day, camp the weekend... whatever.

I wanted separation for the tourism industry. Sure, there is *some* down this way, but nothing compare to other places. A whole lot less "aloha" and more "howzit" being spoken. And when you do meet up with any bright eyed tourists, they are in a more relaxed mood and quite enjoyable to talk to, instead of the constant bombardment of sensory overload like in the main areas.

More country, less concete and cage-cars. I wake up to the sounds of lowing cattle in the distance, see locals riding horseback almost daily, and get waves from almost everyone I see because they either know us, or are familiar with us. Life in a small town.

Anything I could ever want is less than an hour and a half away. Likewise, everything I dislike is almost two hours away... it's all perspective. We came here to relax, enjoy life, and wake up every morning not knowing what was coming next... and we found it at the bottom of the Big Island.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanakonu View Post
It was a very easy decision for me.

Never been a fan of the sandy beaches like the ones you posted pictures of. Sand gets everywhere, and if there's a stronger shore break and it's all mixed and murky water, then you'll be washing sand out of every orifice when you get home. Give me a nice shoreline of pahoehoe any day... calm tidepools, easy walking, and less people.

Didn't want to have to fly (no matter how short) if I wanted a change of scenery for a bit. Here, a 30 minutes drive (at the most) puts you in a completely different climate. Spend the day, camp the weekend... whatever.

I wanted separation for the tourism industry. Sure, there is *some* down this way, but nothing compare to other places. A whole lot less "aloha" and more "howzit" being spoken. And when you do meet up with any bright eyed tourists, they are in a more relaxed mood and quite enjoyable to talk to, instead of the constant bombardment of sensory overload like in the main areas.

More country, less concete and cage-cars. I wake up to the sounds of lowing cattle in the distance, see locals riding horseback almost daily, and get waves from almost everyone I see because they either know us, or are familiar with us. Life in a small town.

Anything I could ever want is less than an hour and a half away. Likewise, everything I dislike is almost two hours away... it's all perspective. We came here to relax, enjoy life, and wake up every morning not knowing what was coming next... and we found it at the bottom of the Big Island.
Damn, you are definitely isolated down there. Whatever floats your boat!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:25 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Yes, we are isolated. That's why we love it here. Have to drive an hour in either direction to come to our first traffic signal. Those who fit in wouldn't dream of living anywhere else, and those who don't are gone in a couple of years. (We've been here seven years).

Old 04-20-2017, 12:38 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:
Not because it's expensive, but because it's hard to choose which island to buy at.

I've been to all the islands, including Molokai & Lanai and I like each island for different reasons. But it boils down to three of them: Oahu, Big Island & Maui. Though beautiful, I can rule out Kauai since it's too rainy for me.
It's not that difficult -- just buy properties on all three islands.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It's not that difficult -- just buy properties on all three islands.
hook me up with a couple of mil man...

Old 04-20-2017, 01:30 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,277,660 times
Quote:
hook me up with a couple of mil man...
You don't need a couple of million to purchase multiple properties in Hawaiʻi and you don't have to get them all at once.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:34 PM

85 posts, read 99,599 times
Quote:
It's not isolation, just far remove from the rat race.

It's not like I have to go shopping with the crowds every day, or have to see a movie in a packed theatre full of inconsiderate people constantly on their cell phones . It's small town life here where we spend more time relaxing and enjoying one another than with our noses stuck in some piece of technology. Honestly, I find most people intolerable until the reach about 35 years in age.

The most perfect weather on the island is found down here (referring to the stretch between Ocean View and Pahala, at elevations between 500 and 1500). It's never hot, it's never cold, it never rains too much, and there is always a nice breeze.

You say you want to relax?
One can spend an entire day swinging in a hammock between two palms at Pohue and never see another person.

Fresh Ka'u coffee from the truck and Punalu'u Bakery malasadas in the morning.
Grilled Ka'u corn from Pahala for lunch.
Aloha Mix food truck for an acai bowl later and a steak or shrimp plate for dinner.
Between all that, plenty of sitting in the shade with friends and family.

It's quiet here, it's slow here, and at times a it can be a bit backwards.
I'm glad this place doesn't appeal to everyone, this state has enough Waikiki's and Kona's.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM

961 posts, read 1,224,361 times
Once you really examine your needs, how you plan to see yourself using the property today and how you may use it in the future, the answer should grow clearer.

Like Palanakonu, for me it was an easy decision. I wanted a place that provided easy walkable access to beaches, nice restaurants, gym, shopping & groceries. I also wanted a place zoned for vacation rentals so I could generate income while not being there. I envisioned part-time use ..... perhaps 6 months per year. Walkable access to things was important for me. And I wanted a building with amenities such as a pool, restaurants on site, etc.

For me Oahu was/is the perfect fit.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:01 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,569,996 times
If you want that slower pace of life, Oahu is definitely not for you. aloha spirit? pretty much dies off a little more every year as the population goes up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii